Mike Dean - Petition to have him removed from refereeing EPL games

Comments

• edited February 2021
    When I watched the game and the replays of the incident, the ref was invited to look at the replay but, from my eyes, he was only shown a close up of an elbow, time and time colliding with a head. Had he been shown the few seconds before that, he may well have decided otherwise. The VAR man was steering him and telling him to look at the clenched fist. I would blame (in the main) the VAR ref.
  • edited February 2021
    Epsom 👍🏻Lee Mason should never have put Mike Dean in this position.... Slow motion replays don’t show real time ... major flaw IMO...
    Between the both of them they got the wrong decision for sure.... But Lee Mason IMO was the bigger fool....he was the one who prompted it all...🙄🙄🙄
  • Apparently the last 6 red cards he’s issued have either been in the first or last 5 minutes of games. He’s only gone cardless in 1 of his last 91 games although most games have at least 1 card so that may not be a stark stat.
  • Refs are apparently not allowed to speak about decisions after games incase it affects any appeals afterwards
  • The officials got it wrong, and now the decision has correctly been rescinded.
    Another VAR mess up.
    Without VAR there would have been no Red Card, no horrible abuse for Mike Dean and no need for an appeal or rescinded card.
  • This isn't the fault of VAR at all imo, just the idiot operating it (Mason) and the muppet officiating (Dean).
  • edited February 2021
    But then again I’ve heard on this very site so many times why did VAR not see the penalty we should have been awarded.... and intervene..:
    And not just once or twice tbh this season....and it’s not always been these 2 officials....
    true? No.....!!!
  • VAR is Video Assistant Referee. The system works. It's the operators who don't have much of a clue.
  • IronHerb said:

VAR is Video Assistant Referee. The system works. It's the operators who don't have much of a clue.

Well , then that covers the majority of officials,because if you check back so many times we should have been awarded this or that! And that’s just our games!! Can you imagine all the other teams.... every team’s supporters Will have complaints on a weekly basis IMO
  • But this is what I said when VAR kicked off. You have poor referees making poor VAR decisions because they are poor referees.
    There are no less decisions being questioned by fans than before VAR but VAR was supposed to eradicate a large number of those, pens and off-side in particular, but we don't seem to be seeing much benefit. When I say we I mean all football fans.
  • 👍🏻IH perhaps VAR should just be used for offside and that’s it 🤔🤔
  • Someone made the point earlier about ex pros never becoming refs. The amount of ex pros who want to work in the media, why can’t one of them be on VAR for the game? Get a ref supported by an ex player and see if that combo does anything? Idk I’m very cold maybe my brain has frozen to rubbish
  • I assume the money isn’t really what they’re looking for
  • edited February 2021
    IronHerb said:

But this is what I said when VAR kicked off. You have poor referees making poor VAR decisions because they are poor referees.
    There are no less decisions being questioned by fans than before VAR but VAR was supposed to eradicate a large number of those, pens and off-side in particular, but we don't seem to be seeing much benefit. When I say we I mean all football fans.

I don't agree with this take on things.
    I wanted var because the speed of the game meant refs missed things. And var has sorted that, giving them an opportunity to look again at an incident.
    I never thought it would make sure every single decision going forward would be the correct one.
    Yes, some decisions esp those based on judgement are going to have those who agree and those who don't.

But look at the number of incidents where var has done good. Cases where refs have overturned their initial wrong decision to award a penalty and cases where they have rescinded a card. All the offsides which, despite all the moaning about toenails and whiskers, are making sure the on/off rule is being applied accurately. ( The issue in those cases is the law, not its enforcement )

I think var has improved things. It's not perfect, but that's because it will always rely on people making decisions. And people are still prone to error.

Removing var will imo just make things even worse.

• But there are plenty out there that don't need the money. Someone like Rio, for example. I'm sure he's set for life, so I'd like to think that if the FA or PL approached him for help to make VAR better, he'd be up for it for the sake of the game.

I really think the VAR process would benefit from having people that have actually played the game involved, especially in situations like the Soucek incident.
  • I see that Keith Hackett has waded in, suggesting the “hapless double act” should call it a day.

I mean, Keith Hackett passing comment on an issue which involves West Ham. Could there be a greater irony?

Have you met Mr Kettle, Keith?
  • The more I think about it, the less I like VAR as it stands. It was meant to be about clear and obvious errors by the officials.
    Whilst it has rectified some of these errors, too often it has been the first talking point about a game. The amount of airplay VAR gets on MOTD for example is sometimes more than any other analysis.
    To be honest I am fed up of it, especially after the dabacle over the last week with Soucek and the Martial dive.
    Also, whilst I am at it, I am not sure why we have linesmen/women any more as even if they eventually flag for offside it is checked by VAR anyway.
  • They’re there to check if the ball goes out of play but we know to our cost they can’t even do that properly. Of course they have the onerous task of making sure part of the ball touches the quadrant at a corner.
  • I’d take it out and use it as was first brought in for goal line technology, as decisions now like soucek one would have been dealt with correctly without var intervention
  • IMO we need a STAT ATTACK! The FA surely have the figures: how many red cards etc has each ref issued, how many later rescinded, how many questioned, against which teams, all in percentages. Then act on the results. I would appreciate some transparency on this...and I 'm sure some would enjoy all those statistics!
  • There are too few cards to be able to draw conclusions for that, IMO. How many reds has Lee Mason shown to a Leicester player? Probably not that many?
  • alderz said:

There are too few cards to be able to draw conclusions for that, IMO. How many reds has Lee Mason shown to a Leicester player? Probably not that many?

Maybe not enough to be statistically viable, but c'mon man, get it sorted 😅😂😅
  • Just wanted to say that I think Soucek has been exemplary through the whole of this.

Accepted a highly contentious red card respectfully at the time, spoke well and appreciatively of his opponent and acknowledged the rescinded red card without rancour or blame.

This is unusual in association football today.
  • He will just get coufal to growl at someone instead
  • Just wanted to say that I think Soucek has been exemplary through the whole of this.

Accepted a highly contentious red card respectfully at the time, spoke well and appreciatively of his opponent and acknowledged the rescinded red card without rancour or blame.

This is unusual in association football today.

Exactly.....I also believe he publicy acknowledged his complete disapproval of the abuse given to Mike Dean and his family after the game.

Top Man.
  • Soucek does seem like an incredibly decent guy, and very happy and smiley. So pleased to have him at the club.

And by a happy coincidence, he's also an unstoppable, potato salad-eating goal machine.
  • Fortunately most trolls on social media are generally not mature enough to be allowed to use pencils/pens or grown up cutlery let alone a knife etc so death threats are not generally to be taken seriously.
    Unfortunately there will always be the odd nutter who would think of carrying it out. It’s about time social media got it’s act together.
  • I think Soucek is clearly the nicest guy in football, makes even Lineker look like Dennis Wise.
  • Along with Antonio who's always smiling
  • dont forget Declan thats 3 players hard working , play for the team and seem like thoroughly decent people aswell