Liverpool (H) - 4.30pm, 31st January

Comments

• To many under achieving today thought rice had his worse game for us, but I’m not going to go on and be negative move on and show against villa it was a bad day at the office it happens
  • I believe that was about our set up as opposed to players not performing. We basically let them do what they wanted first half.
  • OCS I think the subs were to try and ensure it didn’t get any worse. It seemed far too easy for Liverpool and that Philips guy must wish he could play every game against us. All the talk about our arial threat and we didn’t threaten at all.
    I think the next three games are going to be really tough. Can’t see us getting anything at Villa but hope we can get at least a point at Fulham. Man U in the cup is a one off and anything can happen.
  • Yep, as good as Moyes has been, that was straight from the gameplan book.

Far too negative.
  • We never believed we could win IMO.
    Just hope Man City don’t slip up..Anything but Liverpool champions again please.
    Poor performance today...But on 35 points at this stage, gotta be happy.
    But today was a missed opportunity IMO
  • Steve you mean Antonio’s miss. We only had 4 shots, 2 of which were on target. They had 11 with 5 on target.
    We were so negative and looked almost scared to do anything.
  • Two blaming moyes and tactics mmmmm
  • After this can we expect our new centre forward to arrive tomorrow before we blow any chance of achieving anything this season? Top seven may even get it or we could of course win the FA Cup.
  • So guess we will just have to win the cup this season
  • On the positive front, as of right now Craig Dawson has more league goals in 2021 than Son Heung-Min
  • edited January 2021
    We couldn't get the ball and couldn't keep the ball. Certainly not in threatening areas.
    Subbing Antonio for another striker ( the kid or a new signing) wasn't going to make any difference.
  • Lets play 2 up top Antonio and Dawson
  • The trouble is everyone knows where we need to strengthen and nothing is being done about it.
  • Just think it was like the “old” West Ham today.
    From the start we gave them too much respect and played like we didn’t believe we could win.
  • We had a fairly “easy” January as regards fixtures but February and March look very tough on paper.
  • Thanks for nothing Jorderz
  • As MrsG said. We couldn't get the ball which makes it difficult to do anything.
  • Klopp had us worked out completely at the end of the day - knew how we would be set up and how he could stifle and overwhelm us. He’s not one of the top coaches in Europe by fluke.
  • When you seemingly deliberately let them have the ball for the most part you need to do something with it when you do get it but we just seemed to hand it straight back to them. Some of the passes Antonio did made no sense whatsoever.
    It was almost as if we had no belief that we could get anything out of that game.
  • We could have tried something different like playing two up front, hitting them with long balls and trying to feed off the second ball. Not pretty, but different and certainly would have asked different questions of their rookie c/b pairing

None of which is of course possible when you don’t actually have a second striker in the first place.
  • We played too deep. Did the same against Chelsea and Brighton. Poor set up.
  • I’ll let the team off that. They have been so good of late & this season. It was an opportunity missed, but that’s all it was. Move on.
  • I can’t bear the thought of Villa beating us to go above us on goal difference with two games in hand.
  • Look on the bright side, the board know we are limited vs the very best and hopefully they will now get us that natural striker we need, nurse where are my meds #iblamejorderz :)
  • We could have tried something different like ... hitting them with long balls

Funny how we see it differently. I was getting fed up of all the hoofing, and the consequent loss of possession.
  • A few blaming moyes but Ay I will let him off that one
  • We were outplayed by one of the best teams in Europe.
  • The only positive I take from today is I'm disappointed we didn't get anything from the game. Not that we deserved it but beforehand I felt we might. When was the last time we could honestly be disappointed about losing to Liverpool? It shows we're moving in the right direction and possibly even over achieving against expectations
  • MrsGrey said:

We were outplayed by one of the best teams in Europe.

Not sure their starting XI warrants that title, IMO. No Mane, Firmino, Van Dijk or Gomez in the starting line up, a makeshift CB pairing and Origi and Shaqiri in attack. Obviously as a club they're one of the best, but the team they put out wasn't that great. Enough to beat us, obviously, but I think that says more about our performance than it does theirs.
  • Biggest disappointment for me was seeing Souness, Redknapp and Cole saying before the game how good we’ve been and how we will give Liverpool problems especially from set plays and then afterwards saying how we didn’t really turn up.