Liverpool (H) - 4.30pm, 31st January

14567810»

Comments

• Biggest disappointment for me was seeing Souness, Redknapp and Cole saying before the game how good we’ve been and how we will give Liverpool problems especially from set plays and then afterwards saying how we didn’t really turn up.

But they are spot on Thorn
  • Thorn - to be fair, read all the match previews, nobody gave us a chance
  • Liverpool, even a weakened Liverpool are better than us

With Salah, Thiago, Robertson, Allison you could argue those are the best in the world i
    their positions

We had a bad day, its been a while since we've had one and have no issues

Klopp won the tactical battle today and nullified how we wanted to play....don't see what a new CF would've done today
  • I do agree we showed too much respect in the beginning which invited them onto us but if looking as objectively as possible I would say they are the champions and we are an up and coming team, they ran the rule over us and showed where we need improve if we are to enter their level. It was a test and we failed it, But Moyes is making us better and if we keep improving we can only look forwards at present, 35 points at this stage of the season is I imagine better than anyone would have dared envisage.

In my view
    City, Liverpool Top teams

Leicester, Man United, Chelsea, Spurs, next level with already established ability to push the top two.

We are one of a few teams hoping to push into this next group at present we have a way to go but are certainly doing a lot of things right at present.
  • Look on the bright side, we don't play Liverpool again this season.
  • spurs lost so day not ruined
  • My biggest niggle was why noble was brought on
  • Cuz1 said:

My biggest niggle was why noble was brought on

I think he wanted to stop us conceding more / he wanted to shore up the middle of midfield. Noble was ok I think? Not anything to write home about but I don’t think he made any mistakes
  • Difference was down to how Liverpool are comfortable playing in and adapting to different formations depending on the opposition. We are not yet at that level, or indeed, if we ever will be.
  • Difference was down to how Liverpool are comfortable playing in and adapting to different formations depending on the opposition. We are not yet at that level, or indeed, if we ever will be.

The simple truth is we don't have the options to. We could just about play the diamond in midfield but it would involve starting Noble and having no midfielders on the bench. We could go two up front but it would involve starting Yarmolenko or Odubeko, which I can't see Moyes doing through choice.

Three at the back was a good variation, but the injury to Masuaku meant we had to abandon that because of a lack of sufficient cover.

Yes, we're miles behind Liverpool still, in every respect, but we haven't done ourselves any favours by running the squad so thin, IMO.
  • We drew 1-1 with Noble on the pitch ;)