Liverpool (H) - 4.30pm, 31st January

Comments

• Liverpool don't play spurs untill tomorrow

Seems like the perfect time to play them
  • The Scousers have not won any of their last 5 games following their 7 - 0 demolition of Palace.
    The result tomorrow against the Spuds will be a good indicator of what we can expect on Sunday. If they lose, you can be sure we'll be the ones to help them stop their poor run of form. =)
  • Yes, but difficult getting 33 players on the pitch. And I don't want to help Spurs, either...
  • IronHerb, yes but only a point off 3rd. 👍
  • Ironherb we can’t be 4th on Sunday. Regardless of the result tomorrow either Spurs or Liverpool will go above us and Everton could go above us tonight. Our goal difference is letting us down.
  • edited January 2021

Ironherb we can’t be 4th on Sunday. Regardless of the result tomorrow either Spurs or Liverpool will go above us and Everton could go above us tonight. Our goal difference is letting us down.

Isn’t it nice to be worried about goal difference at the opposite end of the table for once!
  • Ironherb we can’t be 4th on Sunday. Regardless of the result tomorrow either Spurs or Liverpool will go above us and Everton could go above us tonight. Our goal difference is letting us down.

Surely we can still be 4th on Sunday (after the Liverpool game) regardless of what happens between Spurs and Liverpool tomorrow?
  • edited January 2021
    After the Liverpool game yes unless Everton win again but at kick off no.

Isn’t it nice to be worried about goal difference at the opposite end of the table for once!
    At least our goal diff is positive. That’s unusual.
  • Everton currently dropping us to 5th
  • Sack Moyes! 😁
  • We are 4th (11.03pm Wednesday January 27th 2021).
    Good night and sleep well =)
  • We set up 3/ 5 at the back for the Anfield game - I would be inclined to do that again but not sure how whilst keeping Bowen, Fornals and Benrhama - possibly:
    Fabianski
    Coufal, Rice, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell
    Bowen, Soucek, Fornals, Benrhama
    Antonio

• edited January 2021

We set up 3/ 5 at the back for the Anfield game - I would be inclined to do that again but not sure how whilst keeping Bowen, Fornals and Benrhama - possibly:
    Fabianski
    Coufal, Rice, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell
    Bowen, Soucek, Fornals, Benrhama
    Antonio

Not for me I'm afraid; why break up one of the strongest parts of our team (ie SouDec in midfield) unless you absolutely have to.

• edited January 2021
    I think we start with the normal 11 & if we get ripped apart in the first half we make a switch, which just means Benrahma goes LW & Fornals drops into midfield. If really necessary Dec could drop into the back two for any periods we come under sustained pressure.
  • I’m so looking forward to this one and there’s not many times I’ve said that against Liverpool. Such a shame that it’s not in front of 60,000, can you imagine the atmosphere?
    Roll on Sunday!
  • For me, we've been in great form in the 4-2-3-1 and we don't need to fear them (or anyone else, really). I think we should be playing with the same system and starting XI as we have been.

I'd expect us to play a bit deeper on the counter attack, which is fine by me, and if we're to do that I think having the front four of Antonio, Bowen, Benrahma and Fornals is a pretty dangerous weapon.
  • Spurs played 5 at the back last night and it just brought Liverpool onto them. Play to our own plan which has been working pretty well.
    We just need to bury the gilt edged chances we do create and all will be fine.

2-1 to the Hammers. Watch out City, we're coming for you.

COYI
  • I don’t really want Ben Johnson against Salah and TAA (newly confident) on his weak foot or Cresswell at LWB so think we should stick with what we have. Fornals wide to protect Cresswell.

Hopefully they still have no Fabinho so that Benrahma and Antonio can really get at them through the middle.
  • Klopp already confirmed no Fabinho and no Matip. Liverpool will have youngsters or some random midfielder playing at CB. Antonio should have a field day imo against their back line.
  • Cue an Antonio injury in training/warm-up =)
  • Does Antonio even train anymore =)
  • We’ve got to look at the opposition and hone in on our key strengths. For example set pieces. We have cresswell and Bowen taking them. Targeting Soucek, Oggy, Dawson. Against the likes of Henderson on their side. We should be able to create opportunities
  • If we can get tight on Mane & Salah and keep track with T.A.A's runs down the wing then this could be one he'll of a game. We should get chances against their back. Easier said than done though
  • We were alright against them away but we lacked an attacking threat. They still had Gomez back then and he was really stepping up to fill the VVD gap. We didn't have Antonio and Benrahma hadn't settled in yet. We have a much better chance this time.

The only thing is it will be a test of whether we can be so solid without a back 5. All of our big results/performances in those first 7 games was with a back 5 and while we've been good recently, we haven't faced teams that will really go at our defence.
  • I think we should play Fornals behind Antonio, as he offers more defensive cover so we can sort of match their 4 3 3.

Fabianski
    Coufal, Dawson, Ogbonna, Cresswell
    Rice, Soucek,
    Fornals,
    Benrhama, Antonio, Bowen
  • puddleglum

I think that's why I want him on the left. His defensive cover and workrate means he can pick up TAA, leaving Cresswell with just Salah. The other wingers also work hard, but Fornals is a lot more reliable defensively, IMO
  • Lawro has it as 1-2 and Sky as 1-3.
  • This is going to be really really tough. Apart from the Everton game I would expect us to win the other 5 so this is the biggest test.