Southampton (A) - 6pm 29/12

Comments

• You don’t think we’re in the fight for Europa?

Though I’d still rather go for the cup. No point qualifying for Europa only to not try once we get in it because we’re worried about league places.
  • If our U23's cant beat Stockport, which I think they could, then we may as well close down all our under age operations. Saying that we could still go with a squad XI such as:-

Randolph
    Fredericks - Diop - Dawson - Johnson
    Noble - Snodgrass
    Yarmolenko - Lanzini - Benrahma
    Antonio

And a bench full of kids.
  • I wouldn’t use noble for this game either I’d play another academy player he’s not our future harsh as it may sound
  • Fair point Cuz but just using that XI as an example of resting players and still going for it. As I say we could use the U23's who beat Portsmouth, Colchester and Southend.
  • IronHerb said:

Fair point Cuz but just using that XI as an example of resting players and still going for it. As I say we could use the U23's who beat Portsmouth, Colchester and Southend.

Fair point then mate 👍
  • We say this every year when we play teams we should beat in the cup - if the reserves can’t beat X then we have serious problems etc.

And then we get knocked out.

It’s not just the personnel on the pitch, it’s the message it sends to the personnel on the pitch. Playing a weakened team tells the squad the league is more important than the cup.

That’s a poor mindset to have against a team playing one of the biggest games of their season.
  • Think it depends on the how fatigued the squad is and how the next couple games go

We have a small squad, which will be pushed to its limits over the next week

If we can pick up points and stay fit, then we can play a strong team....but if everyone is exhausted, we get injuries and start slipping down the table, I wouldn't expect us to risk our better players against a national league team...with all due respect
  • We say' lets go for the cup this year' every year as though it's within our control.
  • You don’t think we’re in the fight for Europa?

Though I’d still rather go for the cup. No point qualifying for Europa only to not try once we get in it because we’re worried about league places.

I think it depends on what happens against Southampton tbh.
    IronHerb said:

If our U23's cant beat Stockport, which I think they could, then we may as well close down all our under age operations.

Our U23s play in the EFL Trophy against L1&2 teams and don’t do much, and most of our U23s probably won’t make it at a higher level than Stockport play at, and our U23s have only a handful of league appearances under their belts. I think it’s pretty disrespectful to teams like Stockport when teams like ours rotate 10 players
  • Lukerz said:

Also, I really like Coufal, but I do think he is wasteful for a lot of the play we have down his side. He has been pretty much the outball since Masuaku’s injury & I feel for the amount of possession he has down that right, he has been wasteful over the last few weeks. I feel we lose a lot of momentum when he controls it, stops, then either has a burst or goes backwards. His crosses are often hopeful than targeted. Fredericks may just give us a fresh option & we know he has pace. Think it may just help the flow better than having a right-footed LWB keep checking in on one side & Coufal’s stop start approach on the other. Not denying that he is a very good defender.

I believe Fredericks will be so exposed against Southampton. Coufal has probably been one of our top 3 consistent 7/10 players all season.
  • IronHerb said:

If our U23's cant beat Stockport, which I think they could, then we may as well close down all our under age operations.

alders said:

Our U23s play in the EFL Trophy against L1&2 teams and don’t do much, and most of our U23s probably won’t make it at a higher level than Stockport play at, and our U23s have only a handful of league appearances under their belts. I think it’s pretty disrespectful to teams like Stockport when teams like ours rotate 10 players

EFL Trophy 20/21

Pos Div Team P W L F A Pts
    1 ACA West Ham United U21 3 3 0 5 1 9
    2 L1 Portsmouth 3 2 0 5 1 6
    3 L2 Colchester United 3 1 0 2 6 3
    4 L2 Southend United 3 0 3 2 12 0

Not so bad?
  • BBC Match Fact for today: “ West Ham have won the last five Premier League matches against West Ham.”
  • It is true, we do tend to beat ourselves.
  • edited December 2020
    I'll be surprised if Moyes doesn't wholesale ring the changes after playing 48 hours ago.

Yarmelenko / Benrahma / Lanzini / Fredericks / Diop / Fornals / Snodgrass (hell maybe even Dawson...)
  • edited December 2020
    I would genuinely try Yarmolenko in this game. One of his strengths is he tends to be clinical when in & around the box on that left peg, he is quite a good touch player (ball often sticks to him somehow) & he is able to flick balls off to people to run onto. I really don't see what is lost from Yarmolenko starting as the forward. I would go Lanzini, Yarmolenko, Bowen in a front 3 with Yarmolenko starting through the middle but all three of them changing throughout the game. Another away game with Haller up top & we don't get much out of it. It's ok away at Sheff Utd, Leeds & home to Fulham. Away at Saints, Chelsea, home to Man Utd - much tougher sides - Haller it not good enough.
  • IronHerb said:

IronHerb said:

alders said:

EFL Trophy 20/21

Pos Div Team P W L F A Pts
    1 ACA West Ham United U21 3 3 0 5 1 9
    2 L1 Portsmouth 3 2 0 5 1 6
    3 L2 Colchester United 3 1 0 2 6 3
    4 L2 Southend United 3 0 3 2 12 0

Not so bad?
    The only result of note is beating Portsmouth, the others (particularly Southend early this season) were gimmes. But tbh I mean more the latter stages, knock out competition is different
  • edited December 2020
    Lukerz said:

I just don’t know about Yarmo.

Whenever he has the ball it’s like somebody has thrown a load of marbles under his feet.

Yet you’d play him today against Southampton? Because the ball seems to stick to his feet?
  • Imagine if we start with the same line-up as the Brighton game.

You’ll all hear the sound of a head exploding in Essex.
  • Dodger58 said:

BBC Match Fact for today: “ West Ham have won the last five Premier League matches against West Ham.”

Maybe Benhrama will get a start then😜
  • Cuz1 said:

Lukerz said:

I just don’t know about Yarmo.

Whenever he has the ball it’s like somebody has thrown a load of marbles under his feet.

Yet you’d play him today against Southampton? Because the ball seems to stick to his feet?
    Well I didn’t say he couldn’t control it. I just said it looked like marbles had been thrown.
  • I know he scored but I thought Soucek looked tired last match, as did Bowen and maybe Coufal. Fornals can play centrally and can tackle well.

Fabianski
    Balbuena - Ogbonna - Cresswell
    Fredericks - Fornals - Rice - Johnson
    Benrahma Antonio Lanzini

1-1 to the mighty Hammers.
  • Same team except coufal, and a replacement for Antonio as I don’t think he’d be fit
  • antonio off the bench for the last 20 to bring him up to speed maybe
  • edited December 2020
    Moyes yesterday on Antonio

"We obviously tried to get him back because we know how important he is to us and what he can do, but we’re being told the timescale by the medical team.

He’s getting closer, as you can see, so we’re just beginning to get the football work into him now and the biggest thing is that we have no more damage to his hamstring.

He’s getting closer, that’s for sure."
    That doesn't sound like he's even ready for the bench
  • Southampton manager Ralph Hasenhuttl to self-isolate after member of his household tested positive for coronavirus; Hassenhuttl will manage Tuesday night's game against West Ham from home and be in contact with his coaching staff via an audio link
  • If he's as good as Moyes when he was working from home we are in trouble
  • Think we need to persist with Soucek and Rice pivot even if they looked tired, they can get rest after the Everton game

They looked jaded but they were still good and showed energy in the 90th minute, they are both known for their great engines and resilience....these are 2 big games against teams around our level of aiming for mid table (i know both are heaving a good season but reality is they are mid to top table clubs)

• I think you’ll see significant changes tonight, at least five
  • Have we got 5 players?
  • edited December 2020

Yikes.