Managerial Merry Go Round

Comments

• To be fair Yarmalenko would never come up against a defence as poor as Austria and North Macedonia in the premiership.

Yes, but the left backs he came up against for those goals play for Bayern Munich (Real Madrid, now) and Leeds United, so 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • edited June 2021
    Slacker said:

It is, but it's what the FA wanted (needed) at the time. Allardyce had bought the position into disrepute and they needed a quick fix. The fact that the highlight of Southgate's reign so far is a waistcoat shows you how safe an appointment he was.

I would say reaching a World Cup semi- final rates as a success.
    I really don’t get the anti stuff tbh. Yeah we were poor against Scotland and average against Croatia but we’re on 4 points and pretty much qualified.It’s a tournament that you can grow into and improve as you go along( hopefully) but to start having a pop at the manager after two games is a bit rich imo.

You've quoted me and implied I'm having a pop, which I'm not. My comments here weren't a reflection of his management; they're about how safe an appointment he was for the FA, i.e. you'll get no dramas from him, no controversy. He's a very balanced, cautious manager. His waistcoat in the World Cup has been the most press-worthy thing about his tenure so far.

That said, I don't rate him particularly highly as a manager. Great speaker, yes, and obviously well-respected in the game, but I don't think he's getting the best out of the players he has at his disposal. Yes, on the face of it, a semi-final of a World Cup could be deemed a success, but given our route it was really the least we should have expected; we played Tunisia, Panama, Belgium, Columbia and Sweden, and lost to the only good team in that list, which puts the semi-final qualification in context.

This time around he seems to be struggling to get the best out of his squad, which is full of some serious talent. Early days, yes, and I hope as much as anyone that he can turn the form around and get the players performing for him as they do for their clubs, but I'm just not convinced that he can.
  • Sheffield? West Brom? They had terrible defenses last season.
  • Tottenham really can't get a manager and it's absolutely hilarious:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57581976
  • Hodgson must be close.
  • edited June 2021
    IronHerb said:

Hodgson must be close.

That would be priceless =) =)
  • After what he did at Hertha Berlin I would like Klinsmann to get the job 😂
    They could then go for Sam in October.
  • I think Eddie Howe is waiting for Southgates job. If Southgate manages to somehow do well he may become Spurs manager.
  • With all spurs trouble getting a manager ,And if Kane goes ,then other players could jump ship as well Any chance they could go down
  • We live in hope Steve.
  • I was going to go to white hart lane to refuse the job, but then I saw the queue already there =)

• So it's back to Nuno now I see.
  • Spurs and Palace getting turned down left right and centre. Glorious scenes.
  • Nuno? Nuno Nuno? Nuno Nuno... There's no limit!!
  • IronHerb said:

So it's back to Nuno now I see.

That's only because Micky Mouse turned the job down =)
  • I bet even Uncle Avram Grant is eyeing his phone expectantly.
  • Rafa to be announced Everton boss next week. I reckon the Everton fans will be over the moon at the news .
  • edited June 2021
    I can't help wondering if Matt Hancock leaked the CCTV himself as he's been offered the Spurs job and needed an excuse to quit as Health Secretary
  • Or, Aslef, he'd rather be known as a two timing cheat than a candidate for the Surs manager's job 🤣
  • .....even the Spurs manager's job
  • Thought you meant SARS manager. That’s next…..:
  • Nuno signs a 2-year deal

Meh
  • They couldn't make it more clearer that he wasn't who they really wanted if they tried.
  • Rafa to Everton. Palace supposedly close to signing Patrick Vieira
  • Has he been sacked already? If ever there was an appointment that you just knew wasn't going to work out it's this one. I reckon I haven't felt so certain of an outcome since Russel Brand married Katy Perry!
  • Vierra confirmed as new Palace manager replacing Roy.....

Seems an ill fit to me....

Here's hoping.
  • Wonder what the average age of all the managers in the PL is. Must be quite low now.
This discussion has been closed.