Managerial Merry Go Round

Comments

• IronHerb said:

Fortunately something us Hammers never do. 🤥

Just loving that it’s all being played out in public that they keep getting it wrong.
    I’m due a zoom interview with Levy tomorrow at 10 , that’s if Pardew has turned them down before then.

• Klinsmann just applied for the job live on air.
  • I can't see many managers fighting each other over the England job if it became available
  • Klinsmann wants a job
  • I think the England job is a great job at present. We have a wonderful young team which can only get better. It must be a cushy number also compared to a premiership managers job, although well paid a premiership role is very full on and must consume you but the national job only comes to life sporadically when you get to actually work with the players. Beside that I imagine it's going to grounds to watch football matches and getting treated very well when doing so.
  • edited June 2021
    A good coach could do really well with this squad. All the talent is there but they need someone who can get a bit more out of some of some players. I don’t really ever feel like England have a strategy. They’re not counter attacking, they don’t press particularly aggressively, they’re not comfortable playing in tight spaces with each other to get through a defence even though many of them are capable of it.
  • edited June 2021
    It must be mistifying to anyone with a clue about football management as to how an ex-player that had a fairly ordinary playing career (some might say mediocre, yet somehow got 57 caps), that had only one previous period in club management over 3 seasons with a middling club (Middlesborough 2006-2009: indifferent to disappointing 1st and 2nd. seasons, followed by relegation and dismissal in his 3rd.season) somehow landed the job with the 4th highest salary of all national team managers.
    It must be equally mistifying as to how someone that has some of the most talented young English footballers to choose from can get them playing such dire, dismal, unadventurous football that was on display last night.

It makes you wonder.
  • Let's not forget Southgate wasn't the first choice. He only got the job because of Allardyce's faux pas.

Southgate is basically the anti-Sam; an articulate, clean-cut, PR-friendly manager. Exciting? No. Successful? No. Safe? Absolutely.
  • OCS, by that measure, that's an extremely low bar.
  • It is, but it's what the FA wanted (needed) at the time. Allardyce had bought the position into disrepute and they needed a quick fix. The fact that the highlight of Southgate's reign so far is a waistcoat shows you how safe an appointment he was.
  • I actually believe anyone on here could get the results he has, he has never done anything that has surprised me and worked out well, in other words showed tactical awareness of how to set up for or change a game from its current trajectory.

Anyone on here could simply choose from the list of players available and say nothing more to them than ok it's 442 or 352 now go and do your best and get the same results he has or better. The players are talented, already coached and do it every week, he brings nothing in my view.
  • I'm at a loose end and happy to give it a go. Right then, I'm up front , anyone else fancy a game?
  • I'm always left back in the bar, can I collect 50k per week now please?
  • I said you could manage them not play ! Although to be fair a team from here may give Scotland a good go =)
  • It must be mistifying to anyone with a clue about football management as to how an ex-player that had a fairly ordinary playing career (some might say mediocre, yet somehow got 57 caps), that had only one previous period in club management over 3 seasons with a middling club (Middlesborough 2006-2009: indifferent to disappointing 1st and 2nd. seasons, followed by relegation and dismissal in his 3rd.season) somehow landed the job with the 4th highest salary of all national team managers.

The point that I was making, or trying to make, was how he even came into the reckoning with such a short and unsuccessful managerial career that ended in 2009. I know he was U21 manager from 2013 to 2016 but that was no more successful.
    He really seems to be having a charmed life.
  • It is, but it's what the FA wanted (needed) at the time. Allardyce had bought the position into disrepute and they needed a quick fix. The fact that the highlight of Southgate's reign so far is a waistcoat shows you how safe an appointment he was.

I would say reaching a World Cup semi- final rates as a success.
    I really don’t get the anti stuff tbh. Yeah we were poor against Scotland and average against Croatia but we’re on 4 points and pretty much qualified.It’s a tournament that you can grow into and improve as you go along( hopefully) but to start having a pop at the manager after two games is a bit rich imo.

• Totally agree Slacker. These are much the same comments that were on here after two games this season passed.
  • I remember the WC in 2002. AllnI hear nowadays is that Germany lost the final because Kahn had a bad game. The thing I remember, though, is how lucky they were to actually get that far. They had one good game, beating the Saudis 8-0 and were then lucky to get points from the final two group matches. The knock out stages were the same, winning each by a single goal.

It really doesn't matter how you play, it's how far you go and Southgate reached the semis of the world cup and has now probably taken us into the knock out stages of the Euros.
  • edited June 2021
    Munich you make a very good point. Also , if you remember, in the last Euros Portugal drew all 3 of their group games and scraped qualification,then won on penalties each of their knockout matches but beat France in the final.
  • Edit above post: Won on pens against Poland then beat Wales in the semi and France in the final.
  • If you ask me, Southgate has played a blinder, draw our final game and we're guaranteed second in the group (even if we lose we may well be second) which has an easier last 16 match than if we win the group. Same tactics as in the last World Cup, where we reached the semis and really shoulda made the final.

Seriously though, he seems to make players play so much worse than they do for their clubs, which really isn't what we want to be seeing. Also, some of the players he's picked for the squad, and the starting 11s, have been well out of form recently, yet they're still getting game time. I do agree that he doesn't seem to bring a lot to the party that many others couldn't given the current crop of players.

• Seriously though, he seems to make players play so much worse than they do for their clubs, which really isn't what we want to be seeing. Also, some of the players he's picked for the squad, and the starting 11s, have been well out of form recently, yet they're still getting game time.

This can probably be said of all England managers since Venables, so is nothing new.
  • There’s a history of wonderful players who performed week in week out for their clubs but never quite cut it for England.John Barnes (apart from that wonder goal against Brazil) and Trevor Francis are two that immediately spring to mind but it must be a long list.
  • Strange, but I remember Trevor Francis as being a good player for England; mind you, my memory's not what it once was.
  • Conversely Pogba has been far better for France over the last two games than he has been for Man U all season
  • Pogba plays two or three diagonals to Mbappe and he becomes a genius, same as he did in the World Cup.
  • IronHerb said:

Pogba plays two or three diagonals to Mbappe and he becomes a genius, same as he did in the World Cup.

Playing with Kante behind you is different to playing with Fred behind you, too.
  • Man U should just buy the entire French team and have done with it
  • Look no further than Yarmolenko. Can't buy a game at club level but can't stop scoring at the Euros.
  • To be fair Yarmalenko would never come up against a defence as poor as Austria and North Macedonia in the premiership.
This discussion has been closed.