Managerial Merry Go Round

Comments

• Rumours are someone called Bruno Lage ex Benfica manager, no I hadn't heard of him either, is linked with the Wolves position. It helps he is currently out of a job and is of course Portuguese.
  • I've heard of Bruno Lage.

He and I had a spat on Football Manager. I was manager of Margate, he was at Millwall. He loaned me a fullback, Greg Walsh, that I thought wasn't good enough to get into my team, and he kicked RIGHT OFF.

If he joins Wolves they will become my new enemy.
  • alderz said:

I've heard of Bruno Lage.

He and I had a spat on Football Manager. I was manager of Margate, he was at Millwall. He loaned me a fullback, Greg Walsh, that I thought wasn't good enough to get into my team, and he kicked RIGHT OFF.

If he joins Wolves they will become my new enemy.

Looking forward to Jorderz coming on to say how much he rates Bruno Lage.
  • Comes on giving it Lage

Wheyyyyyyyy
  • Is he related to frank ?
  • Bruno Lage is my favourite manager in world football.

Tells it straight when other managers talk a big game and backtrack, especially with players he very generously loans out.
  • Bruno Lage is my favourite manager in world football.

Tells it straight when other managers talk a big game and backtrack, especially with players he very generously loans out.

I see how it is
  • I liked Uptown Funk though. Had a really cool 70’s sound.

Spooky, just this minute listening to it on the radio. =)

It says a lot about this forum that this is one of the funniest jokes I’ve seen on here in ten years
  • MrsGrey said:

Nuno for Spurs?

Would prefer he goes to Arsenal
  • The reports are that he wants to be with his family in Portugal. He leaves on a tidal wave of goodwill, and will have his pick of English clubs when he decides to return. To West Ham, in about four years' time... ;)
  • Up until a few days ago various Italian sources were predicting that Maurizio Sarri would get the Roma job but instead Mourihno got the gig. Does anyone else suspect that The Special One was having talks with Roma before he got the boot at Spurs?

Now the rumours are that Sarri has been approached by Arsenal to replace Arteta.

So a case of who's Sarri now?
  • Daily Mail saying NES has a rift with the owners over transfer targets.
  • Maybe he wanted to sign a player who wasn’t from Portugal 🤔
  • It’s rare for managers & owners to fall out over transfer targets. Can’t see that happening at West Ham. 😉
  • Spurs trying to get Poch back. That would definitely make them less rubbish, although you’d think Kane would still leave.
  • So Spurs owners are doing a Moyes... it worked for us, not so sure about Poch...
  • So Spurs owners are doing a Moyes... it worked for us, not so sure about Poch...

He’d be much better for them than a lot of other options, but it’s a very different set of circumstances than with Moyes.

Moyes only got a short go with us, felt like he deserved more time, had something to prove and was unemployed.

Pocchetino was there for 5 years, felt he’d done as much as he could and I employed by a team that is far, far more likely to win something next season.

I don’t see why he’d want to go back.
  • He’s probably thinking why try and win Ligue 1 or the champions league when he could win the prestigious European conference 🏆
  • Glory hunter. Typical.
  • The difference is Moyes was let go at the end of his 6 month contract, Poch was given a 5-year contract after he'd been there for 4 years then sacked after a year and a half.

Poch only took over at PSG in January, he has a contract until the end of next season with the option of another year. Why on earth would he want to go back?
  • edited May 2021
    I think Eddie Howe will be or should be the next Spurs manager, although the bookies who are often right are acting like Poch is a done deal.
  • We've all criticised the 'overpaid, disloyal prima-donnas' of football, but what about the managers? Several big names flouncing out in a huff because clubs can't guarantee them a huge transfer kitty. It makes me glad we have Moyes, who works wonders on a tight budget.
  • We've all criticised the 'overpaid, disloyal prima-donnas' of football, but what about the managers? Several big names flouncing out in a huff because clubs can't guarantee them a huge transfer kitty. It makes me glad we have Moyes, who works wonders on a tight budget.

The only manager who could be accused of "flouncing out in a huff" over their transfer budget is Hansi Flick at Bayern Munich

Conte quit Inter because he was told he had to reduce the wage bill by 20% and raise £86.5m through transfers despite having delivered their first title since 2010. If S&G told Moyes that having got us into Europe we had to sell players rather than bring new ones in he'd be out the door

Zidane quit because Real Madrid's president had made it public Zidane was to blame for them failing to win a trophy for the first time in 11 years

Allegri has taken over at Juventus as predicted
  • Disagree, ASLEF. I think Moyes would just get on with it, if he understood the circumstances. Agree that ZZs time was up. Maybe flouncing was strong, perhaps not being able to cope
  • I'm not so sure, if we cut our wage bill by 20% while having to make a profit from transfers there wouldn't be much of a team left and rather than pushing for Europe we'd be lucky to stay up next season.

Conte was faced with the prospect of dismantling the team that he spent the last two seasons putting together, obviously there would be no hope of repeating his success so why would he want to be associated with failure?
  • Like most Jobs it depends on options. If we get asked to accept something we don't like we are likely to accept if we feel we have few alternative options, yet if we feel we can go elsewhere we will. Some would allow principle to dictate and all power to that, but most would be pragmatic.
  • Understood, but there's a lot of pragmatism being shown at the moment... ;)
This discussion has been closed.