West Ham vs Fulham 07/11 - Match Thread

Comments

• After some great performances against higher ranked teams this was always going to be a different kind of test. Not overly convincing but we got there. Benrahma will improve with time and shows promise. The penalty..... Oh dear!!
  • Needs to be a differentiation between "contact" and "foul"

If you go down unnaturally, whether you've received contact or not is a dive imo and shouldn't be a pen, but if you slow everything down its always going to be given under the current rules

No way he would've gone down with the flick he got from Benrahma
  • People seem to have got lost in this idea that all contact equals a foul. It doesn’t & has never been the case in football.

Benrahma caught Cairney. Was it a foul? Not for me. In the world of VAR, it’s always going to be given.
  • edited November 2020
    Can I just say, despite writing the guy off, Cresswell has been first class this season. One of our best players & LCB seems to suit him down to the ground. I was worried Mitrovic would destroy him.
  • Lukerz said:

Can I just say, despite writing the guy off, Cresswell has been first class this season. One of our best players & LCB seems to suit him down to the ground. I was worried Mitrovic would destroy him.

100% agree

May have even said before that with Cresswell on the pitch we look like we were always down to 10 men....

However, im so pleased that I was wrong.....hes been fantastic since we've moved to a back 5 and looks like the players who was among Hammer of the year and Runner up (?) Hammer of the year in his first two years at the club
  • Lukerz said:

It did when we played 3 at the back under Moyes last time around, IIRC. Also, has to be said, that Ogbonna has been really good this season.
  • Lukerz said:

People seem to have got lost in this idea that all contact equals a foul. It doesn’t & has never been the case in football.

Benrahma caught Cairney. Was it a foul? Not for me. In the world of VAR, it’s always going to be given.

That’s your opinion, I respect it... just think that’s a foul anywhere on the pitch...
    let’s agree to disagree 👍🏻
  • In another game we are a couple of goals up but for their keeper, Fulham’s heads go down & we run out convincing winners. Happy we managed to eake out a win.
  • Also, how was our goal allowed to stand?
  • Given how well we've started, quite odd seeing that we are only 11th on the league as it stands
  • edited November 2020
    I don't know what to make of that really.

Awful game to watch as never felt like we were going to concede but also never score, both sides lack an attacking threat.

Can't believe we gave another soft penalty. It's like we don't know how VAR works! In the penalty area you challenge when you are as certain as can be your timing is correct and only when you have to. If there is not an liniment threat as in the player facing goal just show them away from goal as best possible as players will go down at the slightest touch and that touch is all you need for VAR to say penalty.

I also cant comprehend that penalty. What on earth was he thinking?

That penalty would have been unforgivable were you 2-0 up, but it cost them a point and Fulham could well be tight for a point come the end of the season.

We got three points and I'm delighted as it keeps us in touch with the top half of the table and away from the bottom five but we need to be able to score without Antonio.

• Soucek was much more effective in a midfield 3 supporting attacks. I even think he would do a better job than Haller leading the line. Huge positive was 3 points and Benrahmi looking exceptional. I also really liked the Fulham team, would be happy with Parker one day as boss (only when Moyes has retired with a few trophies)
  • Lookman tried to do a Panenka but actually did a Pen and inka =)
  • Soucek would be completely wasted up front. His strength his arriving late in the box like a stealthy bulldozer
  • I don’t know that Benrahma looked “exceptional” but he definitely had a few moments where he looked lively.
  • Putting aside the way in which we got our goal and also their missed penalty, this was a massive 3 points to help shape our season in a positive way. After a string of positive performances against the top sides there was a fear (for me anyway) that it would fall flat and end in frustration v the “lesser” sides. It did, to a degree, fall flat, however the 3 points means we keep up the momentum.
  • I am so pleased the team has players who seem to really want to play for the club . After the whistle the players were hugging each other and there was a real passion. Coufal and Soucek are both brilliant purchases . I think having Kevin Nolan as part of the back room is also great for team motivation. David Moyes has done very well so far.
  • I think it's good that we got a goal against a team playing deep. We were unlucky not to get a goal during one of the flurries at the beginning of both halves, when it was a bit more open and suited how we've been playing those first seven games. This shows we can still find a way through, eventually, when we don't have the space to counter attack.

We need to get better crosses in from our right side. Cresswell and Masuaku are the main wide threat right now. Coufal was pretty poor with his deliveries and needs to improve that. I don't really remember any from Bowen, which is annoying because I'd like to see him getting some in for Haller.
  • edited November 2020
    Just noticed on a video that at the end of the game Fab was walking around, obviously pumped, and as he passed Lookman he gave him a send off. Great stuff.

• Thought we deserved the 3 points, I didn't think Fulham created anything meaningful

They had a lot of good build up in the ball but thought our defence snuffed up almost everything once it go to our box

And thought we had a handful of chances at the start of either half, plus Benrahmas one where he should've squared it

Was always going to be tricky, but 3 point is 3 points and just like Liverpool did to us last week, sometimes you get limited chances and you have to show character to take them
  • IH I think fabianski was insulted by that penalty almost how dare you try and score against me with that weak effort .
  • Yeah I think it shows a bit of a lack of respect for the keeper when you try and embarrass him by sending him the wrong way & dinking it down the middle. Almost like ‘wey, unlucky mate’.

You just cannot miss them when you try that.
  • edited November 2020
    Interestingly, Haller did a lot of stuff last night that didn’t really lead to much. Obvs if he does stuff & nothing comes of it, it gets forgotten, but he clearly was involved.

The only thing that ruined it a bit was the way we dealt with those last 2 minutes. That winner should have been job done & we should have seen that out. As it was, we should be sat here after a 1-1 draw. It was too chaotic those final set plays that led to the penalty. That needed to be managed better. Other than that, Fulham did not really cause us any concerns but those last two minutes we carnage.
  • I've just watched the build-up to Soucek's goal and also been reading the offside law (Law 11) with regard to Haller and the goal.

https://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-11---offside

Can anyone tell me which of the points that constitute an offside offence apply to Haller since there are some (including Moyes and Parker) who think the goal should not have stood.
  • When Bamford says "it's my job but i don't know the rules" then how can you have any sympathy for them.
  • edited November 2020
    FA said:

making an obvious action which clearly impacts on the ability of an opponent to play the ball

That would be the most applicable yesterday. They obviously noted that Haller’s offside run & half-jump had no impact on Anderson’s ability to deal with the cross.

At the end of the day, a PL CB should be able to do better than head that to Benrahma, but that must be where the doubt is.
  • I see Moyes was was not happy especially after we scored we did n,t manage the game properly good he has us wanting to be better even when we win
  • IronHerb said:

When Bamford says "it's my job but i don't know the rules" then how can you have any sympathy for them.

I have sympathy because the rule is crazy, and bamford was doing exactly what he would have been taught all throughout his career in showing where he wanted the ball, and suddenly he’s being penalised for it
  • That's two we've had last gasp escapes . I had a flashback to Everton constantly doing the same to us over the years. Maybe THAT'S what Moyes does B)
  • What’s the news on Ogbonna’s injury?