West Ham vs Fulham 07/11 - Match Thread

Comments

• Worst pen ever hahahahaha
  • got out of jail happy happy joy joy
  • Hahahahahahah

Omg

What was that
  • feel sorry for Parker
  • From Euphoria, to rock bottom to Euphoria. Lookman going to be having nightmares about that one.
  • look on the bright side he will make blooper reels a lot
  • Absolute joke of a penalty. In more ways than one. Hilarious.

We were very pedestrian but we stuck at it and got the points. Thought Benrahma looked decent.
  • Got lucky there
  • Thought Benrahma looked decent.

Especially in defence 🤔🤔🤔🤣😂🤣
  • Phew! Got out of jail here, but never gave up. The front line was a bit blunt. Not sure what the Fulham player was trying to do with the penalty - nervous, show-off, arrogance?
  • getting fed up with soft pens

We need to stop giving VAR the choice by making silly challenges. We know that referees are giving them for the slightest challenges
  • We had no luck for 90 mins but saved it all for added time =) . Tough on Fulham - they played well and made it hard for us.
  • I thought Haller was alright today. His link up play was pretty decent, but some of the crossing was horrendous. He’s dangerous if you can cross the ball into him, and we consistently mucked it up. Let’s hope against Sheffield United the wingbacks remember how to cross a ball.
  • There are times where a replay is helpful, but in instances like that a replay makes it so much worse.

Yes, he touched his foot. No, not in a million years was it enough contact to wipe out both of Cairney’s legs.
  • Glad we won of course. But that was a typical West Ham performance against a team we we expect to beat. Our worst performance other than the Newcastle game.
    I'll take the 3 points though.
  • Yea I agree Alderz, put himself about well

Won a few aerial duels, had some nice flick ons

The crosses were poor today, but he does need to stop throwing his hands up in the air everytime a ball doesnt get to him, misfit crosses happens in almost every game even for the likes of Liverpools/Citys
  • I thought both Benrahma and Lanzini did well when they came on. They were willing to run with the ball which no one else did. Masuaku’s seems to have lost the confidence to run forward. Most of his passes were backwards. And his crosses were poor.
  • Lucky to get away with that. I mean, it's a great three points, but I was hoping for a bit more oomph. I said it earlier, but we really do miss Antonio; he gives us such a different dynamic and his runs behind push defences back and create chances for our midfield to get higher. Haller was disappointing again tonight, against what was effectively a Championship defence.

Hopefully Antonio will be back for Sheff Utd, but we need to use the January window to find a more suitable replacement for when he's unavailable.

Fornals I think is on borrowed time. His work rate is great when we're playing against a better team, but I thought he struggled to influence the game tonight and Benrahma had much more of an impact on the game in the 20 minutes he had than Fornals had managed for the previous 70.

But as the season's paused again, 11 points from 8 games that included Arsenal, Wolves, Leicester, Spurs, City and Liverpool is very, very good. Credit to Moyes and the team.
  • edited November 2020
    Can’t agree re Haller-to those who thought he was decent... IMO offered little and just does not get involved enough..Def penalty for me- no complaints ...thanks for Lookman for producing that! Like said above, got out of jail there... Bowen & Fornals disappointing for me..... But 3 points and thanks Lookman for trying to be a clever ......
  • Thought we started really brightly bit unlucky not to score hit the crossbar twice and keeper pulled out a few decent saves Fulham huffed and puffed and nearly caught us on the break , this is the sort of game we would have lost or drawn I think Moyes has got them fitter and we were trying to win it rather than settle for a point
  • Yea I agree Alderz, put himself about well

Won a few aerial duels, had some nice flick ons

The crosses were poor today, but he does need to stop throwing his hands up in the air everytime a ball doesnt get to him, misfit crosses happens in almost every game even for the likes of Liverpools/Citys

Yeah that does irritate me about him. That said, maybe he knows he’s got limited time to prove his worth before Antonio comes back. I’d be frustrated too if the service to me was that bad.
  • One thing about Sheffield United is that Enda Stevens has been playing as a centre back, and Enda Stevens is not a centre back. I’d back Haller against him in the air every day of the week.
  • That'll do. Deserved the win, kept going, created plenty of chances and Benrahma showed flashes of what he's about.
    I think that penalty will be called the Lookman, shocking.

COYI
  • That penalty summed up nicely everything that is wrong with VAR. That & the Bamford goal earlier.
  • Coufal was struggling to beat his man outside and put a cross in - too often he turned back and played the ball back inside. Also Haller was offside for our goal and he jumped up as Soucek shot . I was expecting VAR to disallow it. So happy to get the three points when I often feel things go against us.
  • Some good signs. We should've been more ruthless though. When we really applied pressure, Fulham were making mistakes but we'd step back whenever they showed a little of their own intent. I think we could've buried that game if we had kept the aggression up. They defended relatively well and very deep in the last 20.

Benrahma looked a bit unwilling to take on players at first but grew into it. Haller looked better. Still not what he should be but there was some more aggression and went into a few aerial challenges like he didn't mind if it would be called a foul. It's a shame he was called offside for the Cresswell ball he headed back to Soucek - that was a smart move and I think the type of goal he likes to be involved in. I think he's done enough to play the next game anyway.

Unlucky Bowen's volley and Cresswell's free kick didn't go in.
  • Lukerz said:

That penalty summed up nicely everything that is wrong with VAR. That & the Bamford goal earlier.

About the penalty I cannot see anything but a foul... the Salah one was far softer IMO
  • Lukerz said:

That penalty summed up nicely everything that is wrong with VAR. That & the Bamford goal earlier.

That Bamford decision is the worst one I've seen to date. Haven't seen the Benrahma challenge so can't comment, but in general the rule seems to be if there's any contact whatsoever, it's a penalty. Maybe our players should work on that in the way that Salah and Kane do. Hate to see cheating, but it may level the playing field somewhat.
  • It’s a penalty under VAR, as was Masuaku’s on Salah.

3 years ago, the general view would be ‘not enough contact to go down’.