West Ham v Man City, Saturday 24th October, 12.30

Comments

• Sterling will be a good challenge for Coufal.
  • Certainly a baptism of fire coming from the Czech league straight into Leicester, Spurs, Man City and Liverpool. If he is not found wanting in these first four matches I think we may have found a gem.
  • alderz said:

Still firmly believe that Haller would be excellent with the likes of Bowen / Antonio / Benrahma in and around him. The problem with Haller is the same problem we had with nearly every other line striker we’ve had in the last decade, we just don’t get players close enough to him and don’t play to his strengths. Antonio is a bit of a one off, and we do need to work out how to play to other strikers strengths too. I don’t think we even play to Antonio’s strengths, really, it’s just that his strength happens to be dealing with loose balls and charging around, so you don’t have to do much specific stuff to play to that.

Don't you think most decent forwards would be excellent with Bowen/Antonio/Benrahma around them?
  • I played as a striker and think I would have have been awesome instead of the two teammates I had 😂😂
  • KDB is back for this
  • Do we give up then?
  • edited October 2020
    IronHerb said:

Do we give up then?

Why would we give up?

Just stating some team news, given there was some doubt over his availability.
  • He was probably rested midweek in preparation for the more difficult fixture - us
  • Wrong thread woops
  • alderz said:

Still firmly believe that Haller would be excellent with the likes of Bowen / Antonio / Benrahma in and around him. The problem with Haller is the same problem we had with nearly every other line striker we’ve had in the last decade, we just don’t get players close enough to him and don’t play to his strengths. Antonio is a bit of a one off, and we do need to work out how to play to other strikers strengths too. I don’t think we even play to Antonio’s strengths, really, it’s just that his strength happens to be dealing with loose balls and charging around, so you don’t have to do much specific stuff to play to that.

Don't you think most decent forwards would be excellent with Bowen/Antonio/Benrahma around them?
    I mean, you’re obviously deliberately choosing to pick out only part of my post.

In case I wasn’t clear, my point here is that Haller / Carroll / Cole / etc have struggled because we have sat too deep and not had mobile forwards around them to benefit from their link up play. If you play with everyone 50 yards away from Haller he won’t be effective.
  • Lukerz said:

KDB is back for this

I am not sure he will start as only came back to training today, I think he will be on the bench.

• Lukerz said:

Fernandinho injured against Porto last night, should be out for 6 weeks.

Mendy, De Bruyne, Jesus and Laporte also on the injured list with Ake 50/50

To be fair, it’s always Sterling that does for us
    Aguero has also been in the past (10 goals ) although he didn't look that sharp midweek
  • Laporte also training with the squad

football.london says that Antonio and Haller were both in training and fit to play
  • For me it’s just nice to actually look forward to playing Man.City, it’s been a while since that was the case.
  • I mean, you’re obviously deliberately choosing to pick out only part of my post.

In case I wasn’t clear, my point here is that Haller / Carroll / Cole / etc have struggled because we have sat too deep and not had mobile forwards around them to benefit from their link up play. If you play with everyone 50 yards away from Haller he won’t be effective.

Jeez. Took you a while to figure out Hallers game!
  • edited October 2020
    Moyes confirms that Haller is expected to be available,

Benrahma is doing well but needs to "get up to speed to where we're at", "we'll bring him in when he's ready", "we're getting him ready for the Premier League" and "I've done it with quite a lot of Championship players in my time". Patience, Grasshopper.

He doesn't even mention Antonio which I'm taking as a positive.

He also has good words for Noble and Lanzini so they'll probably be on the bench.

I'm guessing same starting XI as last time
  • As it’s a man City match thread, I’d quite like to know why no-one wished me a happy birthday (for yesterday) or gave me a cake?
  • Happy Birthday Barry!
  • Lawro predicts 1-1. So that puts an end to us scraping a point then.
  • For a change I'm actually looking forward to this game . The previous few seasons it's been " oh gawd " COYI!!
  • Unchanged line up. Benrahma may not be fit enough for the bench, according to Twitter.

Standard for West Ham to break someone before they've even made their debut 😄
  • Also, Aguero hasn't scored for something stupid like 9 months, so put your mortgage on him scoring this afternoon.
  • Benrahma confirmed as not on the bench:

Randy, Fredericks, Diop, Noble, Lanzini, Yarmo, Haller.
  • edited October 2020
    Amazing that in the first half of last season all of that bench (bar Randy) would have been a guaranteed starter.

Snodgrass, Benrahma & Dawson can’t even make the bench.
  • Benrahma > Yarmo when he's fit, I reckon.
  • City's back four is Walker, Dias, Garcia and Cancelo. We really need to got amongst them, because that's not a great defence. And no height, either. Play for corners and Soucek could have a hattrick.
  • That said, their front three is Sterling, Aguero and Mahrez, which against our slow defence could be worth a few goals.

4-4 draw on the cards.
  • edited October 2020

Unchanged line up. Benrahma may not be fit enough for the bench, according to Twitter.

Standard for West Ham to break someone before they've even made their debut 😄

Moyes said Benrahma wasn't ready yesterday but its no surprise he isn't fit, he hasn't played for three weeks with just one start and two substitute appearances this season (total of 118 minutes).

Bowen had been playing regularly for Hull, he played 3 days before he signed with us on deadline day, he was on the bench for two games and didn't get his first start until the end of February.
  • I don’t expect anything today but if we can keep that side fit all season, with a bench like that, we should be able to aim for top 10.