West Ham v Man City, Saturday 24th October, 12.30

15678911»

Comments

• Whatever, his feet and head didn't seem to be communicating very well...
    I've kept tabs on refs for a while, and Taylor is an odd one. Several matches where he 'missed' penalties and fouls; then some excellent games (Everton and Man U eg); then back to tunnel vision again. Handle with care.
  • edited October 2020
    Yet another gutsy but quite comfortable and attacking performance, I could get used to this! Soucek, Rice and all the back 5 were great, and Fab did what Fab does.
    After having had £1 on a draw for the last 2 matches I will push the boat out and put £2 on a draw vs Liverpool. Might have a pint with my winnings ...... oh no, can't do that, living in Edinburgh where they are all the pubs are shut.
  • Can I be super controversial and suggest that as brilliant as Antonio’s goal was, it was possibly more “saveable” than Foden’s equaliser??....
  • Baracks, no you cannot.
  • Can I be super controversial and suggest that as brilliant as Antonio’s goal was, it was possibly more “saveable” than Foden’s equaliser??....

Think it’s the technique and how early he takes it that makes it hard for the keeper to react. An ordinary volley probably would’ve been saved.
  • Antonio's was only saveable if he hit it straight at the goalie. A few inches either side it was not, due to the power of the shot.

NO 😂😂
  • I don’t think many players would look good coming into a game under the cosh like that. To Yarmas credit he got involved a fair bit
  • Ok, can I be less controversial and say that AC’s thunderbolt v Palace was even better??...
  • Ok, can I be less controversial and say that AC’s thunderbolt v Palace was even better??...

Tough call, but yes, I think AC’s was better in that he jumped higher so it was more of an aerial shot. Both good though. 9.7 for AC; 9.5 for MA.
  • Deano's in Markie's testomonial caps them all by a mile
  • Ah Deano...... what could have been?
  • Ex saying the news about Antonio is not looking as good as Moyes first thought & further tests are underway.
  • Deano's in Markie's testomonial caps them all by a mile

Beautiful assist From Ian
  • Carroll’s one was definitely the best. The connection he got on it was as if he’d drop kicked it. The technique, the power, the fact he hit the postage stamp... perfect.
  • Lukerz said:

Ex saying the news about Antonio is not looking as good as Moyes first thought & further tests are underway.

Hardly surprising. To have to go off in consecutive matches suggests a bigger problem than Moyes was making out. Maybe Antonio will need to rest until after the next international break.

The frustrating thing is that every West Ham fan knew this was coming at some point. I'm not convinced Haller is up to the job in the Antonio role, so do we change formation, or put Bowen/Benrahma through the middle?

Josh King looks like a big miss right now.
  • Here's an idea, stick Balbuena up front and Dawson in his place. Probably just as good as Haller at the moment. =) =)
  • I get that people don’t think Haller can replace Antonio, but it’s not like he’s playing badly. He’s our top scorer this season still. Sure, lower league opposition, whatever. But give him chances and he usually does alright with them
  • The thing that shocked me ref the Carroll goal was he was actually passed fit that day 😂😂
  • edited October 2020
    alderz said:

I get that people don’t think Haller can replace Antonio, but it’s not like he’s playing badly. He’s our top scorer this season still. Sure, lower league opposition, whatever. But give him chances and he usually does alright with them

But I guess the issue with Haller is he can't play the Antonio role, which is such an important factor in our play. He doesn't have the pace or strength to be an effective direct replacement.

He needs players around him to succeed, but against Liverpool I expect Bowen and Fornals to be playing too deep to support him.
  • Formals and him would get stuck, as neither have anything to get into the final third by themselves. I think Yarma is the better bet right now for the cf role
  • The way Antonio is leading the line is very specific to Antonio right now. There are very few players both as strong and mobile as he is.

So the idea that we should have just gone and bought a backup Antonio is flawed to me. We might have got somebody who can run the channels or we can use Haller who should be able to hold the ball up and outmuscle defenders, but there aren’t many around who can do both.
  • Antonio makes Garth Crook's team of the week, at left midfield 😂😌😂
  • How about playing without a striker and Lanzini replaces Antonio to start with.
  • How about playing without a striker and Lanzini replaces Antonio to start with.

Wrong thread