West Ham v Man City, Saturday 24th October, 12.30

Comments

• Didn't he say last season that we shouldn't be reliant upon him?

Think he's pretty level headed, don't think at 33 he will take it personally that he no longer starts
  • He seems to be the sort of person who would be delighted at our performances even in his absence. I am sure the side, and how it performs with or without him will be of paramount importance to him
  • For me, he’s someone I’d want on the bench usually. To steady the ship, offer some leadership. For me, the three that miss out usually from Lukerz list are Yarmo, Dawson & Snodgrass.

Randolph, Diop, Fredericks, Noble, Lanzini, Benrahma, Haller

I still feel that we’ll have an injury crisis at some point and everyone will get plenty of opportunities
  • edited October 2020
    I've been afraid to say this out loud/type it out...but have we had less injuries since the lockdown/Moyes return?

(I blame Curbs if someone gets injured now)
  • From my perspective we are in a zone where I think we have a great chance of taking points from pretty much any game. I thought that during the Payet season - literally thought we could and would beat anyone. There was a similar feeling at the start of one of BFS’s seasons too.

It’s a really great feeling and I hope our performances continue to instil confidence and belief

• sssshhhhh
  • You got a puncture yoyo?
  • I like going into games with low expectations and getting surprised by good results. Quite uplifting.
    I expect nothing against Man City therefore.
  • edited October 2020
    Self-belief is a great thing. How many times have West Ham done what they did to the Spuds, it's usually been the other way round.
    I also think that having no ultra-big money signings (Fornals being the dearest) in the starting 11 helps, no room for passengers/egos just because they were expensive. It will be interesting to see how Benrahma responds.
    I think that Haller's absence in the first 11 is Moyes's way of saying no-one is bigger than the club. You don't work, you don't play.
  • De Bruyne not even on the bench tonight for City, lets hope his niggle lasts a few more days!
  • Bubbles, that is all well & good when David Moyes is dealing with Marko Arnautovic but the problem with Haller is he could work his socks off but some people will still say he is not scoring enough which is difficult when said for the umpteenth time we aren't playing to his strengths.
  • On the bbc champs league comms

“shakthar have been West Ham-ed “

Closely followed by

“Or have they” when the real goal was disallowed
  • I also agree Real Madrid aspire to be West Ham
  • Bubbles, that is all well & good when David Moyes is dealing with Marko Arnautovic but the problem with Haller is he could work his socks off but some people will still say he is not scoring enough which is difficult when said for the umpteenth time we aren't playing to his strengths.

Problem is, he doesn’t work hard enough
  • He never gets any service.
  • IronHerb said:

He never gets any service.

And that's why Antonio is prefered option

Haller needs good service to be of any use, if not he is a passenger

Antonio can make his own service
  • Lukerz, there are strikers who work hard for the team & then there are ones who do little else but score and help others to score goals. 😉
  • IronHerb said:

He never gets any service.

Hard to when you don’t move much, though
  • Lukerz, there are strikers who work hard for the team & then there are ones who do little else but score and help others to score goals. 😉

So which one is Haller?
  • We scored no goals in 77 minutes with Antonio/Fornals and then 3 goals in 17 minutes with Lanzini/Yarmolenko and yet most on here (inc myself) would go for the same starting line up.
    #it's a funny old game

• Lukerz, in one season with Eintracht Frankfurt, waits for the comment about it being an inferior league, he scored twenty goals & had nine assists in 39 matches across the Bundesliga & Europa League. It did help he had Jovic and Rebic to help him. We could have had Jovic on loan but I won't go there.
  • Some people are saying Calvert-Lewin is doing so well now because he's stopped moving so much. If Haller wanders off, he's not fast enough to get back into position. He needs good passes and crosses. I think he's shown he's a good finisher. As long as we don't do that and Antonio is in form, we're fine. But we have to hope that Antonio's not just on a patch of good form. Otherwise we're going to have to find a way to work with Haller because we haven't got anything else.
  • Haller is a great player. Like everyone says, he won't make anything happen though. I think Yarma is ahead of him now as a lone CF option
  • Fernandinho injured against Porto last night, should be out for 6 weeks.

Mendy, De Bruyne, Jesus and Laporte also on the injured list with Ake 50/50
  • Still firmly believe that Haller would be excellent with the likes of Bowen / Antonio / Benrahma in and around him. The problem with Haller is the same problem we had with nearly every other line striker we’ve had in the last decade, we just don’t get players close enough to him and don’t play to his strengths. Antonio is a bit of a one off, and we do need to work out how to play to other strikers strengths too. I don’t think we even play to Antonio’s strengths, really, it’s just that his strength happens to be dealing with loose balls and charging around, so you don’t have to do much specific stuff to play to that.

• Sounds like we might get a point then. =)
  • Biggest problem we've always had is consistency

We need to try and beat teams that are below us in the table.....So expect nothing less than a win against city =)
  • Tbf we did thump Watford and Norwich back end of last season

But I do agree the games v sheff Utd, palace, Southampton etc will be really important to gauge whether we can play as well as we have against the better teams

To be fair, it’s always Sterling that does for us