Spuds v West Ham , Sunday 18th October , 4.30pm

Comments

• Benching Song would be quite impressive 😅
  • edited October 2020
    Substitute by The Who. 1968, that's a benching song
  • Just wondering (not that we get awarded many), but who is our designated penalty taker in the current first choice side? Soucek?
  • edited October 2020
    Has Antonio taken them when Noble's not around? I'm sure I remember dreading he'll boot it into orbit.
  • Antonio took the last Prem pen, Yarmolenko the last cup pen.
  • Antonio’s was to get him into double figures for the season I think (noble’s gesture)?

I believe soucek was the designated taker for Prague but I could be wrong
  • I think cresswell probably take a good pen
  • I'm not sure I'd want Antonio as our regular penalty taker; like Carlton Cole, I'm not sure he's great when he's got too much time to think about things.
  • Surely it’s gotta be Rice?

Can imagine he’ll just lash it into the top corner with his eyes shut.
  • Can we just do rolling subs and bring Noble on for penalties only?
  • Mind, it's not like we get 183 penalties a season like United so of little consequence really.
  • edited October 2020
    Noble is obviously first choice, he's scored 38 out of 42 penalties and hasn't missed one since December 2016.

Antonio's penalty against Man U was the first one he'd ever taken in a competitive match which suggests its not something he's been good at in training.

At least Antonio scored, Cresswell's only penalty was back in January 2011 for Tranmere Rovers against Carlisle in League One and the keeper saved it.

Lanzini has scored 3 out of 4, the last was 2017 v Everton, Pickford saved
    Bowen 4 out of 6
    Snodgrass 9 out of 11

Soucek 10 out of 13 inc. one against Sevilla in the Europa League s, one against Inter in the Champions League and all 13 were in taken in 2019!

Yarmolenko 22 out of 26, 3 out of 5 for Ukraine. Hasn't failed to score from the spot since 2014 but before his penalty against Hull he'd not taken one since 2018 vs Slovakia.

Haller 23 out of 24. Back in 2017 he had a penalty saved by Tim Krul in the Eredevise's play offs for a Europa League place, Utrecht v Alkmaar. It ended 3-3 on aggregate, Haller stepped up for the first penalty of the shoot-out and scored.

Rice, Fornals, Coufal, Fredericks, Masuaku, Ogbonna, Balbuena and Diop have never taken a penalty (unless it was in a penalty shoot-out).

Soucek looks the most likely candidate unless Haller or Yarmo are on the pitch.
  • Haller is pretty dead eye from the spot isn’t he? I mean those numbers are Ray Stewart numbers....
  • Actually better than Ray Stewart who scored 76 out of 86.
  • Aaahhh Ray Stewart, now, There was a full back
  • Loved Ray stewart .Now he could hit a ball
  • You can now pay £15 to watch this as its now PPV PL announced all games not being show live supporters can now pay to watch
  • This match is already live on sky sports.

You can now pay £15 to watch this as its now PPV PL announced all games not being show live supporters can now pay to watch

• No, I don't think it is. Games that were not selected for TV coverage for October will be shown as per normal on SKY and BT. The remaining 5 games a week that were not selected are now PPV. Our three October games were selected so not PPV.
    That's my take on it.
  • IronHerb said:

No, I don't think it is. Games that were not selected for TV coverage for October will be shown as per normal on SKY and BT. The remaining 5 games a week that were not selected are now PPV. Our three October games were selected so not PPV.
    That's my take on it.

Correct, we are on TV without having to go PPV
  • Looked at the wrong list of games ! Still another money grabbing move by the PL
  • This game is definitely live on Sky Sports

Looked at the wrong list of games ! Still another money grabbing move by the PL

Football has been about "money grabbing" ever since the first clever chap realised that if he put a fence around a football pitch he could charge an entrance fee for people to watch a match.

And even back then there were complaints that 6d a game was pricing out the ordinary fans.
  • In this current climate you would have thought a few more free games not more PPV. I see MPs are due a £3,000 year pay rise 😡
  • edited October 2020

In this current climate you would have thought a few more free games not more PPV. I see MPs are due a £3,000 year pay rise 😡

Surely there would be more free games when there are stadiums full of fans paying for tickets, food, drink, etc. and fewer when the stadiums are empty
  • Apparently there's been an outbreak of Covid-19 in the Czech squad. Soucek clear but Coufal's test apparently "unclear". (I didn't know that was such a big thing?)

• In this current climate you would have thought a few more free games not more PPV. I see MPs are due a £3,000 year pay rise 😡

We should just offer them a clapathon on a night of their choosing.
  • we could be without both for a while if they need to isolate
  • edited October 2020
    Luckily we are covered via a strong depth of squad....
  • If Masuaku, Coufal and Soucek are not available, then maybe just maybe we may see a couple more signings in the next few days. Either way, this just shows how thin our squad is, especially if we want to play 5 at the back.
  • Vlad has tweeted saying he hasn't tested positive