Villa on Sunday

Comments

• If Bowen is not fit, I would like to see Nathan Holland given a chance.
  • Wasn't the Villa chairman Deadly Doug Ellis one of the first to push the FA to consider action against us re: Tevez?

That will add a certain satisfaction for me if we beat them and they go down.
  • As Lukerz said "there is no upside to losing", but it would definitely dull the pain/soften the blow of losing.
    COYI
  • edited July 2020

Wasn't the Villa chairman Deadly Doug Ellis one of the first to push the FA to consider action against us re: Tevez?

Is he even still involved there? Don't think so.. A bit harsh perhaps on the current owners!?.

In my ideal world all 3 of them lose, we win and Villa stay up, for me they are the best of a bad 3 bunch
  • Wasn't the Villa chairman Deadly Doug Ellis one of the first to push the FA to consider action against us re: Tevez?

Is he even still involved there? Don't think so.. A bit harsh perhaps on the current owners!?.

In my ideal world all 3 of them lose, we win and Villa stay up, for me they are the best of a bad 3 bunch
    I don't think so Jay, he's been brown bread for a couple of years.

I'd rather see Villa go down, Bournemouth, and since the Pozzo takeover, Watford seem to prefer minimal investment.

Villa would probably invest to stay up and could strengthen meaning possibly less points for us next year.
  • edited July 2020
    I see Dean Smith has been playing mind games.

Saying they will be ‘going all out for the win’.

There is no way those players will be approaching the game like that. They have destiny in their hands, may not have to win & will be incredibly nervous, which will probably dictate a cagey, cautious performance.

This is very different pressure for Villa. All season they have been pretty much ignored as a team to stay up & have been playing catch up all season. They now have it all to lose with just one game left.

Interesting to see how they handle it.
  • It's a good point Lukerz. Just look at how Brentford handled being in the driving seat.
  • Much as I don’t like what Watford have done to Pearson, I’ve taken a real dislike to Dean Smith recently, so more than happy when we beat Villa to send them down.
  • I see Dean Smith has been playing mind games.

Saying they will be ‘going all out for the win’.

Now why they didn't think of that earlier?

jay

I don't care anything for Villa or their owners.- never forgive, never forget!
  • Managers and players have to say something to placate the fans, and that can only be by saying ultra positive things. Our players have been berated for saying the same kind of things as Smith. I don't really see it as mind games, just responding to the inane questions they are asked.
  • Do we think if Villa stay up, John Terry will run on the pitch in the full kit to celebrate?
  • edited July 2020

Wasn't the Villa chairman Deadly Doug Ellis one of the first to push the FA to consider action against us re: Tevez?

Ellis sold Villa at the start of the 2006/07 season so Randy Lerner was chairman but I don't remember either of them saying anything about Tevez, etc.
  • Bowen & Cresswell ‘major doubts’ according to Football Insider (although pictures of Bowen training yesterday on the club site).

I think regardless, let’s give Masuaku a chance at LB.

Ellis sold Villa at the start of the 2006/07 season so Randy Lerner was chairman but I don't remember either of them saying anything about Tevez, etc.
    let's send them down anyway...
  • I think let's just win and put in another brilliant performance. Let them three worry about that.
  • let's send them down playing like Barcelona....
  • It they play like Barcelona we may have a problem. :wink:
  • I hope we spank them and extend our current undefeated run
  • The fact John Terry is with them,Is reason enough to smash them and send them down
  • I like Villa, like us they've had their ups and downs, like us they've had some diabolical owners but what I like most about Villa is they aren't Birmingham City.

I still want us to beat them
  • I’d really like to see Haller up front with a strike partner. How Moyes manages that I don’t know but that’s why he’s the manager and I’m a bloke who goes fishing.
  • edited July 2020
    I think if he can he should play an unchanged side. That should rule out any accusations that we didn’t do the right thing by Bournemouth and Watford if by some chance Villa beat us. There are a couple of stats that occur today as we still haven’t won back to back home league games this season and Villa have not won their last game of the season for nearly 10 years, playoff aside.
  • Not worried about what others think of us regarding team selection. Liverpool cost Sheffield United their Premier spot but not a lot was said about that. Saying that I don't believe we'll make wholesale changes.
  • If Bowen and Cresswell took knocks i doubt he risks them other than a spot on the bench.

I reckon he throws Yarmelenko and Masuaku on.
  • I would put Haller in with Antonio on the left and Bowen on the right (assuming all fit) with Fornals in behind ahead of Rice and Soucek. Noble dropped to the bench. Perhaps Masuaku on for Cresswell.
  • Few injuries today according to Ex.
  • added bonus for me if Villa go down, would benot having to listen to Grealish being constantly over-hyped. by pundits and commentators.
  • edited July 2020

added bonus for me if Villa go down, would benot having to listen to Grealish being constantly over-hyped. by pundits and commentators.

He'll almost certainly move to a Premier League side imo, whether he'll get the same plaudits in a different team is doubtful though.
  • edited July 2020
    At least a draw (considering what they have to fight for) would be a nice way to finish the season. Only 1 loss out of the last 7 (or however many since Chelsea) and and only 3 losses since lockdown. It would mean we'd have picked up points in pretty much every game we need to if we want to become a team that's consistently competitive.
  • As long as Antonio is fit I fancy us today.

Imagine Bowen & Cresswell will miss out.