The Next Transfer Window

Comments

• The running with the ball into space seems like a real novelty after watching Noble for years! Must be some other midfielders that can do it though. Hopefully will stick around, but all summer has been pointing towards a move
  • edited September 2020

Anderson and Antonio have both played wing back successfully

Can't remember Anderson ever playing wing back and he's never been noted for his defensive contribution.

Football Insider reporting that we're going to bid £15m for Swansea 23yo CB Joe Rodon, can't say I know much about him but I suppose he would add a bit of depth.
  • Anderson and Antonio have both played wing back successfully

Can't remember Anderson ever playing wing back and he's never been noted for his defensive contribution.

Football Insider reporting that we're going to bid £15m for Swansea 23yo CB Joe Rodon, can't say I know much about him but I suppose he would add a bit of depth.
    anyone young with games under their belt works for me, a signing would be just what we need
  • I don’t think Anderson ever played wing back for West Ham. He did a few times for Lazio though. I would love to see him in the right and Masuaku on the left. Would maybe need someone more dynamic than the general as RCB though
  • edited September 2020

I don’t think Anderson ever played wing back for West Ham. He did a few times for Lazio though. I would love to see him in the right and Masuaku on the left. Would maybe need someone more dynamic than the general as RCB though

I can't find any record of Anderson starting as a wing back on the left or the right at Lazio or Santos and we'd need someone as dynamic as Virgil van Dijk to cover for his lack of defensive ability

Isn't Fabrizio Romano the bloke who said that Rice would demand we allow him to move to Chelsea?

Interesting player Maksimovic, last season he got a second yellow for dissent less than a minute after he'd been given the first yellow for dissent. He wasn't even playing, he was warming up on the touchline.
  • At least he shows intent.
  • WEST HAM IN DEFENDER TALKS

West Ham are in talks to sign Slavia Prague right-back Vladimir Coufal.
  • Inzaghi’s eventual 3–5–2 shape does creep in towards the end of the season, especially against tougher opponents, and Anderson mostly gets used as a right wing-back (with surprisingly good results) in that system.
  • Inzaghi’s eventual 3–5–2 shape does creep in towards the end of the season, especially against tougher opponents, and Anderson mostly gets used as a right wing-back (with surprisingly good results) in that system.

From Anderson's performances over the last two seasons I've not seen anything that would suggest he'd make an effective wing back.

He's a fantastic winger (when he's in the right mood), use him where he's best.
  • Aren't his defensive stats surprisingly good?
  • He would probably have to defend less as a right wing back than when he payed left wing!! He would be incredible in counter attacks, and much better at retaining possession than Fredericks and especially Johnson. I would love to see it given a go
  • edited September 2020
    It would be interesting to see it tried if we're behind in a game and don't want to change the formation when subbing him on. (I'm not sure I prefer it to Ben Johnson playing there, though).
  • You would hope that Vladimir Coufal would have been prompted by Soucek as they were team mates and so may have given a nod. If he were to work out anywhere near the value of Soucek in regard fee paid we would have got a bargain.

From Anderson's performances over the last two seasons I've not seen anything that would suggest he'd make an effective wing back.

He's a fantastic winger (when he's in the right mood), use him where he's best.
    Inzaghi has already seen that he would work there and used him successfully in that position. With all due respect - I think that His opinion trumps what you have seen in the past!
  • According to Transfermarkt, Anderson made 68% of his Lazio starts at either left or right wing, 19% as an attacking midfielder / support striker, 8% further back at right midfield, and 5% as a striker.

Doesn't seem to have ever started as RWB, and his last few games for Lazio were up front...
  • edited September 2020
    You can find articles that mention it. I think it was tried in a specific season.

Personally, I'm not sure I'm keen on it unless as a substitute when we're trying to fit in more attacking players cohesively (rather than just chucking them on). But I don't think it's a mad idea - it does seem he's played there and his defensive stats are better than a lot of our players who've played wide.
  • How comes St Etienne accept a £30M bid from Leicester but last week we were reported to offer £30M+ but it was rejected as not enough.
  • Cos we offered to pay it over 30 years...
  • We don’t know exactly what Leicester’s offer comprises.
  • Maybe the player didn’t want to come to us at any point
  • edited September 2020
    I Googled, found this.

https://www.football-italia.net/107406/felipe-anderson-finds-his-feet

Inzaghi played Anderson as a RWB/RM in a 3-5-2 during 2016-17 but it doesn't sound as if it was a great success.

"Anderson is not, and never will be a natural wing-back".

"Games played as right wing back and right attacking midfielder have often given Anderson the impression of a square peg in a round hole."

According to the article Inzaghi played him as a forward the following pre-season
  • He wants to join Leicester apparently plus our deal was a “sully” special being paid in six instalments & based on the Haller deal we all know how we keep to the terms of such a deal.
  • He will probably play Saturday and have a blinder.
  • Surely chambers can just hop in cab - it would be quicker?
  • I Googled, found this.

https://www.football-italia.net/107406/felipe-anderson-finds-his-feet

Inzaghi played Anderson as a RWB/RM in a 3-5-2 during 2016-17 but it doesn't sound as if it was a great success.

"Anderson is not, and never will be a natural wing-back".

"Games played as right wing back and right attacking midfielder have often given Anderson the impression of a square peg in a round hole."

According to the article Inzaghi played him as a forward the following pre-season

That’s a very selective choice of quotes. The preceding paragraphs:

“ Inzaghi’s first full season saw further tactical experimentation. After a brief flirtation with his predecessor’s 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1, the former Lazio striker settled on a 3-5-2 set up, fielding Anderson as a right-wing-back and helping the Brazilian to rediscover some of his old form.

Despite scoring only four times in 33 appearances, playing in a more withdrawn position allowed Anderson to develop other aspects of his game. For instance, over the course of the season, the converted winger achieved a career best for assists, key passes, crosses, tackles and interceptions.

Whilst Inzaghi will have been pleased with his player’s contribution this season, Anderson is not, and never will be a natural wing-back.”

Most analysis of Anderson in that position suggests it’s not his best position or the best use of him. They tend to say he performed reasonably well there.
  • West Ham's loan bid for Slavia Prague's Czech right-back Vladimir Coufal, 28, has been rejected. (90min)
  • West Ham are making a £20m move for Fiorentina centre back Nikola Milenkovic. (Daily Mail)
  • Daily Record

Rangers will issue a firm 'not for sale' warning to West Ham if they firm up their interest in captain James Tavernier.
This discussion has been closed.