The Next Transfer Window

Comments

• It’s appalling that in this market which is probably the easiest in PL history to get transfers done that United haven’t done more yet ! They must get Ole a CB , LB and Forward pre deadline! The others are managing to get things over the line why not United ! - Gary Neville tweet.
    He obviously has not taken our lack of success into account!
  • Barney said:

It’s appalling that in this market which is probably the easiest in PL history to get transfers done that United haven’t done more yet ! They must get Ole a CB , LB and Forward pre deadline! The others are managing to get things over the line why not United ! - Gary Neville tweet.
    He obviously has not taken our lack of success into account!

You think this is the easiest market in history to get transfers done?
  • Did Barney not say that was a Gary Neville tweet?
  • Villa get Barkley a good loan move for them
  • Villa get Barkley a good loan move for them

He's not the player he was when he burst onto the scene and has become a bit ordinary whilst at Chelsea. Still, time will tell.
  • Sounds like we might be close to signing Coufal
  • Hamstew, that is really a West Ham signing if it happens. Low down on their list of targets & cheap!
  • £4m apparently

So that is £100 up front and £3999900 in various add ons. If any add on is triggered, it will be paid over 15 years, with the first instalment not due until year 7
  • Right, so, I'm not going to be annoyed at signing someone, but right back seems to be the least important of all the defensive positions, IMO. We have Fredericks, Johnson and even Ashby as a third choice. At left wing back with have Arthur, or Johnson out of position. It feels like they are just signing someone so they can say they signed someone.

The positions that need to be addressed are LB/LWB, CB, CM, ST, right back would be my "if we have time" sort of transfer.
  • For me, the most important positions that need to be addressed at West Ham are the following:

Joint chairman
    Joint chairman
    Vice chairman
  • Coufal at £4m wouldn't be terrible business, IMO. Full international in a decent side, CL experience and presumably we'd have got Soucek's opinion on him. Fredericks is injury prone and Johnson is still very raw, so a solid experienced pro as another option at RB isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Granted, he's not 'Red Bull Model' material, but lets face it, Moyes will never get that under Gold & Sullivan as it requires a far-reaching and talented scouting network to achieve it.

So I'd be ok with Coufal, and I'm hoping that as it's likely to be relatively cheap, it means we can strengthen in other positions as well.
  • Could he also play as a right-sided CB of a 3, like Cresswell on the other side?
  • Seems like he is known for his work rate. 12.5km per match and most assists in the Czech league this year.
  • From the BBC

Posted at 12:2412:24
    Gossip - West Ham make Milenkovic bid
    Nikola Milenkovic
    EPACopyright: EPA
    Italian journalist Gianluca Di Marzio is reporting that West Ham have submitted an opening bid of £23m for Fiorentina's 22-year-old Serbia defender Nikola Milenkovic.

Article Reactions
    26 likes2621 dislikes21
  • Hamstew said:

Seems like he is known for his work rate. 12.5km per match and most assists in the Czech league this year.

Which is why we sometimes need to look beyond age and price. Granted the PL is a step up from the Czech league, but his work rate alone will endear him to West Ham fans.
  • Just off to welcome him to West Ham on the YouTube comments.
  • Reckon we'll have to wait 'til Monday for a signing? Maybe we'll see two or three announced, like the feast after the famine. Sullivan does like a a late deal to keep him in the news.
  • I think we do need a RB, Fredricks is injured again , Johnson is young and prone to mistakes and Ashby has played 1 game its hardly well covered position IMO
  • Maybe but it gets dangerous when you buy to cover injuries. If Johnson can't play now, then when will he? Both he and Ngakia put in better performances than I ever remember Fredericks having. If we buy to cover the injury, Johnson will be even further back when Fredericks returns.

The 3/5 at the back system is also more forgiving for Johnson, so I don't think his inexperience is as big a problem. I'm just worried about how little we've heard about a LB/LWB.
  • Have we missed something or someone jumped the gun? Wikipedia says this about
    Slavia Prague right-back Vladimir Coufal: "On 30 September 2020, Coufal joined West Ham on an initial loan with obligation to buy". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vladimír_Coufal

I can't see that in any of the news outlets or on exWHUemployee twitter.
  • So I'd be ok with Coufal, and I'm hoping that as it's likely to be relatively cheap, it means we can strengthen in other positions as well.

OCS, that is the budget spent on one player!
  • Rumours are the price for Coufal is actually £10-12 million which puts a different slant on things but we'll have to wait and see.
  • Hang on. Fredericks was getting slated, along with Cresswell, but now we've won a game and he's injured he irreplaceable? I don't think buying Coufal, if that is the case, is an injury covering buy rather a replacement.
  • Herb

Personally I’ve not slated Fredericks, or said he’s irreplaceable.

My point is that we need a left back more than a right back, and we need a centre back more than a right back, and we need a midfielder more than a right back, and we need a striker more than a right back.
  • Alders, do you think we don’t need a right back then ?
  • Never said you did alderz. I agree LB is priority but strengthening any position is better than leaving things as is.
  • Cuz1 said:

Alders, do you think we don’t need a right back then ?

We need a new GK, CB, RB, LB, Winger, #10 and a striker

But that isn't possible...so you prioritise

And I agree, RB isn't a pressing concern compared to LB and CB
  • It’s not that I dont think we could do with a right back, but we need to strengthen several other positions more, imo.
  • Wondering whether it’s better to have a player who improves any position now even if it might mean we couldn’t sign one of those more crucial positions in January (assuming we might not be able to fill them now).
  • Priority is CB for me
This discussion has been closed.