The David Moyes Thread

Comments

• Yeah tricky one though. He is due a rest/holiday but things aren’t quite as straightforward as that in football, and timings don’t always fit conveniently around holidays

Sully will be cautious about entering advanced negotiations for players wanted by a manager who has rumours swirling around him about being wanted elsewhere.

Can you imagine if he doesn’t sign after his holiday (if that is the reason), goes to Everton, and in the meantime someone like Nuno (who might be a decent option for us if Moyes leaves), joins Palace.

I think there is more to it than simply going on holiday. I think Moyes would want to stay but maybe wants guarantees over support for squad improvements.
  • 100% he is waiting for certain guarantees from the club. You don't wait this long and the owners do not wait this long to tie down a manager to a contract especially with the transfer window open now (regardless of Euro competition)
  • edited June 2021
    So remind me again...

There is already the option to extend the contract by a year until June 2022, but what we are talking about now is instead of taking that option they are discussing a new contract - longer than a year (3-yr?) - contract.

So in terms of deadlines, they don't have to agree anything before June 2022?

Is that right?
  • I believe so Mrs G, but I don't know if it's an automatic extension or not. If either Moyes or Sullivan don't want to extend, be it by 12 or 36 months, then I guess he's free to leave.
  • edited June 2021
    In the world of Football, in terms of loyalty, contracts don't seem to be worth the paper they are written on
  • I’m sure Moyes said the 1 year extension had been triggered about 2 months ago?
  • I just had a quick google - C&H says its an automatic extension (I presume triggered by some kind of performance target).

Oh, and Talksport says ... 'At his unveiling on Monday, Moyes revealed he has a performance-related clause in his contract to extend it beyond the initial 18 months and he has vowed to activate it.'
  • I want Moyes to stay and believe he wants to stay. He has done miracles.
  • edited June 2021
    If Moyes did go back to Everton, who would we like to see replace him (as in viable targets)? Someone like Nuno (who has come to his senses and isn't going to Palace)?
  • Pretty sure if Moyes went Rafa Benitez would be the pick
  • I wouldn't mind Potter.... Quidditch anyone?
  • It wouldn’t be Potter as he is under contract and sully doesn’t do under contract managers.
  • This is really unbelievable isn’t it. I wasn’t one of the “GSB out brigade” but if Sullivan lets David Moyes slip from his grasp then I will certainly be vocal in calling for Sullivan to go. He should be giving Moyes whatever he wants in the contract after all it couldn’t be anymore than what Pellegrini got and who achieved absolutely nothing.
  • I don't think Sullivan would be able to do much about it and his reason for going would be beyond more pay and demands in general. I actually don't think he is going and it would be a risk for him if he did. I think we forget that Moyes has had a few jobs since leaving Everton and this is the only one in which he has exceeded expectations, none of the others worked out well.

I want to say first I think he has done a great job as not only have we finished in 6th but the morale and team spirit seems as best as I can remember it for a long while. He has also spent money well, all things a manager needs to ensure. However if wanting to play devils advocate a little. This year he has had the first world class player we have had in the side for a long while in Declan Rice. It is not inconceivable that without Rice we would have ended up a respectable12th. We saw how our push for Champions League faltered when he got injured. We always say one player doesn't make a team but in some cases that player can make a big difference. Villa without Grielish, Liverpool without Van Diijk, Palace without Saha and West Ham without Rice are all quite different teams. My point is had we finished 12th I think we would be giving him credit but not necessarily thinking he is irreplaceable. If we could have only one of Rice or Moyes sign a new contract I know who I would choose. I imagine he is wanting assurances that Rice won't be sold, I hope so.

I am a sometimes an optimist and I think the club are going to keep Moyes and Rice (at least for one more year, and I think we will spend a reasonable amount and have a proper go.
  • Honestly 100% never thought for a sec he wouldn't sign
  • 'On the brink'...'expected to'... come on David, get your biro out and sign!
  • https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-gsb-green-light-multiple-west-ham-hires-in-big-shake-up/

According to this, Moyes has been given permission to restructure the entire recruitment at the club, which will see various scouts hired, as well as a director of football (wonder if that will be Irvine).
  • edited June 2021
    The club has now announced it officially. Moyes has three more years 👏👏👏

https://www.whufc.com/news/articles/2021/june/12-june/david-moyes-signs-new-long-term-contract-west-ham-united-manager
  • Hooray!!!!! Right then, now that's done and dusted let's get spending!
  • Okay now lets get those world class players in
  • Great news.

That is a very positive article.
  • Rumour is he has been given ok to hire more scouts and set up a recruitment network rather than just ring salthouse and ask who he has on his books
  • I'm guessing the scouting network was probably the guarantee he got. To employ a few more bodies on the ground.
  • I genuinely did not think I would feel such relief at David Moyes signing on as our manager, when he was appointed back when Pelle got the boot.

Never had an appointment that I could not help but feel uninspired by, had the complete opposite impact. He is perfect for our club & if ever there was a case of right manager for the right club & it being a perfect match, this is it.

I really hope, when we do hit a rough patch, we all keep our nerve & allow Moyes to get us out of it instead of knee-jerk decisions. I feel if he is here for the next 3 years we will be an established top half Premier League club.
  • I reckon his director of footbal will be Fellini =)
  • Up for PL Manager of the Month award. get voting.
  • What a job this guy is doing…

That is all
  • He received warm applause from the Everton fans yesterday. The West Ham players and staff entered and left the pitch in the corner by the away fans but the home stand applauded him on and off the pitch too. Nice touch.