Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• People suggesting we need someone new next to Rice implies they see Wilshere and Nobes as surplus to requirements.
  • Haller, Chicharito, Antonio, Anderson, Yarmolenko, Diangana...

We would love an extra proper striker, but those options are more than good enough.

A CM & RB are my main concerns. I don’t think we need a DM as such, but a CM, as Noble, Rice & Wilshere for those three positions is not enough. Sanchez still looks a worry.

Fredericks looks unreliable as a RB, too.
  • Wilshere isn’t surplus. He just isn’t the answer in a two with Rice.
  • Last season it wasn't a healthy fight for positions. Perez looked bored out of his mind. This season I can guarantee that Hallers will have stiff competition from Antonio, and to a lesser degree Chicha. Bringing someone in would disrupt the healthy pecking order. Rice has the least to worry about, but still the most to prove. No need to spend for the sake of it all.
  • Has Fredericks even played pre season?
  • He looked good when he played
  • Very good against Citeh. His pace gives us an excellent outlet on the right.
  • People suggesting we need someone new next to Rice implies they see Wilshere and Nobes as surplus to requirements.

Not at all. Both still have a role. I see Wilshere more as a No10, so him, Fornals and Lanzini are interchangeable. I'd be surprised if none of them pick up an injury or two over the course of the season so they'll all get a good run of games.

Noble isn't a starter for the new season. His role, for me at least, is experience from the bench. When we need to see out a game he'd be perfect to come on get us over the line. Plus his leadership off the pitch will still be as vital as it has been on it.

Just because we have the numbers in midfield, doesn't necessarily we mean we have the type of players we need.
  • As things stand, I don’t see how Noble can’t be a starter - because he currently gives more stability than fornals, Lanzini or Wilshere

Our football is very easy on the eye. But the intricacy of some of our interplay inevitably leads to the increased risk of losing the ball. This is absolutely fine as it indicates we are trying to make things happen. The problem is, when we we do lose it we are then cut to shreds - sometimes literally in seconds. I don’t see how this can be tenable through the course of an entire season.
  • All the players linked with us that I saw in July, taking us to a total of 96 players linked this window.

• Defensively Noble is weak and that is one of the reasons we are 'cut to shreds' in the transition.
  • edited August 2019
    We don't have the quality fullbacks needed.

I can see Pellegrini is adopting a Liverpool / City style attack. Technical players with pace and an eye for goal. The only difference is instead of a Firmino work horse or a Aguero all rounder he has gone with a taller Hold up Haller which I think is understandable considering we don't have the luxury of the best technical players in the world to always have 70+% possession of the ball so he offers an outlet when we get stuck.

The problem is unlike Liverpool or City we do not have the quality fullbacks to build upon the attacks.
  • I think Masuaku and Fredericks offer the prospect of a quality support as wingbacks when we are in attack mode. Question is can they be improved in their defensive duties. Again, my answer is yes. We have seen improvement from Arthur as a defender and I am confident Fredericks will improve in due course. Anyone know why Fredericks hasn't appeared in the last few matches?
  • Injured, you'll be surprised to hear. Groin strain, apparently.
  • I would seriously consider replacing Fredericks now, to be honest. 4/5 muscular injuries within a year does not bode well for the future.
  • Cahill is being mentioned again https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-west-ham-plot-late-raid-to-sign-61-cap-england-intl-after-pre-season-development/
    If he comes i can see Diop going for the cash to fill in the DM and striker positions
    Next week will be exciting, I love the Pellegrini (West Ham Way) attacking style but the back is way too porous
  • I'd be happy with Cahill

Trust him far more than ogbonna
  • I wouldn't be happy with Cahill ahead of Diop or Balbuena, and don't see how he would come to us to be third choice. We don't need a short term fix in CD; if we can't get a long-term prospect, leave it, I say.
  • just had a look at Villa's business as saw a headline that they had spent £130m so far.

What a load of dross they've signed (Heaton excluded).
  • Lukerz, we were linked with a couple of the players they have signed. :hmm:
  • Were we?

Burnley selling Heaton is a ridiculous decision. They went from relegation certainties to form rivalling the top 7 just from him returning in goal in place of Hart around Xmas. Strange.

Other than that, odd business. Not sure why they have made so many signings either.
  • edited August 2019
    Fortune

We've been linked with just under 100 players...
  • grey, I was making a comment on the term “dross” in lukerz post. As Makamba & Wesley from Bruges were on our radar so does that indicate we scout poor players?
  • Fortune,

Just because a newspaper has filled some inches with something doesn’t mean we were actually interested. As grey says, I don’t think we’ve tried to sign 100 players this summer.
  • And my point was that 'linked with' has no correlation to actually being 'on our radar'.

Our radar would need to be the size of Jodrell Bank if all the rumours were to be taken seriously.

Going by our signings this year and last, I'd say our scouting system was pretty good.
  • Jorderz, Thanks for putting me right not to believe anything in the newspapers until a player actually signs. :ok: grey, agree the scouting system is good but we still have areas which still need to be improved on whilst we fall further behind several clubs. :weep:
  • Which clubs do you think we’re falling further behind?
  • For us to push on it might be all fun going forward with our dozens of attacking players, I still feel that Pelle is slightly single minded re the rest, iMO, and yes I do not expect everyone to agree!, both our FB positions are suspect, while I have liked the look of Fredericks, he does sort of seem a sick note, Zab, we can all agree, he's past his best, re our LB position, both are ok, Cresswell seems like he has declined over the past season or 2 & while I like Arthur, I feel he is better attcking than Defending.
    The other obvious position he seems to never address is a good DM, I know a few will say what for, but god forbid Rice gets injured we are lightweights, Noble & Wilshire, this is not where they are good at & Sanchez, let me not get started. I understand that not all games we would need to play 2 DM's, there are many that we should IMO...
    It's all lovely scoring a few, but Pelle needs to sometimes really remember we also need to keep a few goals out.....Should be an interesting season IMO and if no improvement on last season, position wise and a half decent effort in the FA cup, then I'd seriously think that Pelle has not done what he should be , with the money he would have spent, again all IMO of course!
  • simonc said:

Cahill is being mentioned again https://www.footballinsider247.com/exclusive-west-ham-plot-late-raid-to-sign-61-cap-england-intl-after-pre-season-development/
    If he comes i can see Diop going for the cash to fill in the DM and striker positions
    Next week will be exciting, I love the Pellegrini (West Ham Way) attacking style but the back is way too porous

The article states because of Reid's injury record over the last few seasons Pellegrini...
    wants an additional proven option to senior men Issa Diop, Angelo Ogbonna and Fabian Balbuena.
    So Cahill as a fourth CB along with Diop NOT Cahill as a replacement for Diop.

Clicking on links and then reading all the words really helps...
This discussion has been closed.