Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• BBC GOSSIP : West Ham United are lining up a move for former Arsenal and Tottenham striker Emmanuel Adebayor. The 35-year-old Togo international is a free agent and Watford and Sheffield United are also interested.(Sun)OH COME ON!! NO WAY
  • If we take him on, I'd be massively disappointed if he wasn't given the No17 shirt
  • The Sun tried floating the same story five weeks ago.
  • Still think our defence is going to be our downfall again this year. I hope Fabianski can have another worldie year.
  • The Sun tried floating the same story five weeks ago.
  • So word is that Pelle has a couple of targets to fill a couple of positions, but will not just take the second or third choice. If he cannot get his main target, we will go with what we have. So, with just over a week until deadline day, would people be satisfied with the squad we currently have.

Looking at 'like for like' players, we would be going with...

GK: Fabianski/Roberto

RB: Fredericks/Johnson
    RCB: Balbuena/Reid
    LCB: Diop/Ogbonna
    LB: Masuaku/Cresswell

RCM: Rice/Sanchez
    LCM: Wilshere/Noble

RM: Anderson/Yarmolenko
    CAM: Fornals/Snodgrass
    LM: Lanzini/Antonio

ST: Haller/Chicharito

Leaving Martin, Zabaleta, Cullen & Diangana filling in behind that initial 22.
  • “Beggars can’t be choosers”. If Pelle doesn’t get the players he wants then we’ll have to go with what we have but IMHO it’s not satisfactory.
  • edited July 2019
    Looks like the best squad since Payets first season. Can’t imagine many players that could improve that, well maybe one playet.
  • ibl, No team cannot be improved on & we are certainly no different. :ok:
  • edited July 2019
    Only certain Playets can improve teams
  • Still a week to go plenty of time for a few transfers yet :wahoo:
  • If Everton make the 4/5 signings they say they are after - starting with Kean, it will be a tall order for us to leapfrog them this season (if we are pretty much done with our transfers)
  • edited July 2019
    Well having lost both Zouma & Gueye, their defensive backbone has been ripped out & as yet not replaced.
  • I've just had a look at the confirmed / reported fees paid this summer, and worked out the net fees paid / received so far by premier league teams, according to the BBC.

We are currently have the 8th highest net expenditure (35.64m). Spurs (36.20m) and Southampton (37.50m) are in the same bracket as us. Man Utd (65.00m), Wolves (55.00m) and Man City (49.30m) are next bracket up. Leicester (70.00m) are second, and Aston Villa have gone full Fulham and spent a net 116.75m on a bunch of players.

Four teams have made profit so far. Chelsea have made 124.90m, but obviously aren't allowed to sign players. Palace have made 47.50m having only spent money on Jordan Ayew who was there last season. Everton have made 36.00m, which is likely to change with Moise Kean and potentially others, and Liverpool have made 23.70m.

Norwich have spent 1.50m so far, and not brought in a bean. Bournemouth have only spent a net 2.00m, Watford 5.50m, Newcastle 10.00m and Burnley 13.00.

All of this is displayed in a lovely chart below.

• Good chart Ald. I was actually looking for that info earlier and you've made it very easy so thanks.

On the squad, there are obviously players I would replace/improve upon but only 1 is urgent in my book. Sanchez needs to go, he looks woeful from what I've seen and didn't like what I saw before he signed for us either. Rice needs some serious competition, and someone to learn off at DM. I do not have a suggestion for a replacement though, which is likely the problem the club are having.
  • eski :ok: no problem

Something I found interesting when I was looking at the deals that have been completed is just how uninspiring most clubs business has been. Assuming the top 6 are a different proposition to the rest of the league, I'll forget them for now, but these are the players that teams have brought in. I've bolded the ones I am jealous of.

Aston Villa: Wesley, Mings, Targett, Konsa, Engels, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Jota, Hause, Luiz
    Bournemouth: Kelly, Stacey, Billing
    Brighton: Trossard, Clarke, Richards, Freestone
    Burnley: Rodriguez, Pieters, Senior, Cooney
    Crystal Palace: Henderson, Ayew
    Everton: Gomes, Delph, Lossl
    Leicester: Tielemans, Perez, Justin, Daley-Campbell, Hirst, Reghba, Clark
    Newcastle: Joelinton, Scott, Turner
    Norwich: Byram, Fitzpatrick, Adshead, Bushiri, Mair, Nizet, Drmic, Gilmour, Roberts, Fahrmann, McAlear
    Sheffield Utd: Mousset, Robinson, Freeman, Jagielka, Ravel, Osborn, Henderson
    Southampton: Ings, Adams, Djenepo
    Watford: Dawson, Spencer-Adams, Dele-Bashiru
    Wolves: Cutrone, Hong, Nya, Dai, Vallejo

Basically, the only team I am jealous of is Everton. But that's just on those coming in. When you consider that Gomes was there last year, and Delph is now a replacement for Gueye, they actually haven't done much but stand still.

Bournemouth have spent £32m on players from Bristol City, Luton Town and Huddersfield.

Honestly, it's really striking to me that the quality of players coming in is seriously low this summer.
  • There were rumours we were trying to hijack the Cutrone move. Our cause won’t have been helped by the fact that our pot supposedly doesn’t have much in it all.
  • Baracks, why so? He scored 3 in 34 Serie A games last season - not exactly setting it alight. I know he scored 4 in 5 in the Europa League, but I think his league performance is more indicative.
  • Baracks, why so? He scored 3 in 34 Serie A games last season - not exactly setting it alight. I know he scored 4 in 5 in the Europa League, but I think his league performance is more indicative.

Well he is only 21, and of those 34 games only 12 were starts

The season before that he got 10 goals in 17(11) appearances

• Well sheff Utd spent £10m on someone who couldn’t get a kick at Bournemouth. Cutrone was in double figures the season before and has over 20 goals in two seasons in Italy. He’s also young and doesn’t appear to be cursed by injury

Wolves have got themselves a good deal I would say

But time will tell
  • Looking at that list, I agree I don't really feel jealous of the other transfers (granted I probably know about 50% of them), what I am still salty about is how little money we make from incomings
  • alderz, it will be interesting to revisit your list when the window closes as I expect we will probably be envious of a few clubs we hope to be competing with this season.
  • I think we have a well balanced squad with healthy competition.
  • We are just 2 or 3 signings short of having an excellent squad.

A better holding midfield player than Sanchez is needed. I still think Delph was an opportunity missed.

A top CB to compete with Diop and Balbuena. I do love Reid but i have the feeling he is never gonna reach the level he was at before his injury. I think Ogbonna has been a decent backup, but is exactly that....a backup.

And maybe a young and hungry striker to replace Chicarito as I don't think Chicarito suits our style of play.

This echoes many other posts on here and so is nothing new I know.
  • I would love Chicharito out of the door, and someone more suitable in. Can’t see it happening though.
  • Unless I've missed something, we've lost 3 CF (Arnie, Andy and Perez) and only brought in 1 replacement. Surely this is an issue.

As others have said, Sanchez just not good enough, and, with Obiang gone, we need someone else in the middle of the park who can break things up.
  • I don't see it as a big issue, as AC and Perez were peripheral, to say the least. Unless we swap out Chica for A N Other, who can we realistically get who's any good to be 3rd choice striker? At a push, Antonio or even Yarmo could fill in. Think the goals will be spread across the front line this season.
  • I can’t see goals being any kind of problem, to be honest.

The other end of the pitch, though...
This discussion has been closed.