Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• Rondon close to signing up with Rafa in China now
  • C&H reporting that we've sold Sam Byram for £750k.

A young, English PL full back for less than a million. Just to put that into context, Luton Town sold Jack Stacey to Bournemouth for £4m.
  • :puzzled: Just does not make sence about Byram who did he go to ,Also whats all this about xande silva having a medical problem sounds like it could be personal wish him well whatever it is
  • Delph to Everton (He has joined up with the training squad).

Wonder what we will get for Hughill. 3.5?

Haller time within 48hrs!
  • Byram for only 750k ?!?!?!??! we are so useless at selling players.
  • edited July 2019

C&H reporting that we've sold Sam Byram for £750k.

A young, English PL full back for less than a million. Just to put that into context, Luton Town sold Jack Stacey to Bournemouth for £4m.

And their LB went to Leicester for somewhere around £8m. League 1 fullbacks going for that money and we can only get £750k for a good Championship standard player?

I sincerely hope that isn't an accurate figure.
  • Byram for only 750k ?!?!?!??! we are so useless at selling players.

Exactly what I was saying earlier
  • I’m surprised anyone would give any money for him given his injury record, tbh. I thought he’d be with us til his contract ran out
  • Hugill also rumoured to be on the way out. Two English players leaving the squad; what does this do to our homegrown quota? Reduce it, obviously, but do we need to sign any English players?
  • Lol the only team that would pay silly money for him would be us. The guy (unfortunate as it is) is constantly injured. Who in their right mind would risk spending more than a million or two on such an injury prone player.
  • The same C&H article says that Hugill's move to Wigan has been called off because they couldn't pay the wages he asked for. I think that says more about Wigan's finances than Hugill's expectations.
  • alderz said:

I’m surprised anyone would give any money for him given his injury record, tbh. I thought he’d be with us til his contract ran out

For sure. Between Mar 2016 to May 2019, he’s missed 587 days of football through injury. That’s 50% of the time!

If he had gone on loan and played well last season, we would obviously be able to get a lot more money for him. But that’s not the way it’s turned out.
  • Poor fee, but not unexpected given his injuries

I see it as another £25k off the wage bill
  • A shame for the lads themselves also as I remember when Hugill and Byram signed and you could see both were seeing themselves as on the up and that their chance at the premiership had come, now sadly both leaving without ever really getting that chance. Although to be fair Hugill was a very strange buy to say the least as Moyes didn't even seem to want to play him after buying him.
  • Sadly we seem to have a pretty ordinary record in recent years of finding genuine quality from the lower leagues

In recent times our best is probably Cresswell or Antonio. The former seems now to be stagnating. The latter has his moments but is still probably a squad player at best. And this is before we mention the incredible Hugill

The players are around - eg the likes of Maguire and say David Brooks however for whatever reason we seem unwilling or unable to find/buy them. I mean even Tyrone Mings (by virtue of his transfer fee) trumps anything we have managed.

Sadly I don’t see this improving as I think Husillos’ main strength appears to be sourcing from leagues outside of the Uk
  • Not sure what Bilic saw in Byram. If I had to write his stats - it would be 30% for all round play and 95% for fouling.
  • Need to wrap up this Haller deal before Lukaku goes to Man U :sofa:
  • Otherwise all Haller break loose
  • Yeah, talk of a new bid from Inter being prepared. If they get that deal agreed before Haller commits elsewhere, then there's every chance he'll end up at Old Trafford.
  • David Gold has confirmed that Byram has joined Norwich.

Still think £750k, particularly to a PL team, is very low.
  • He managed 6 appearances all of last season due to injury

2 the 17/18 season

Do hope we put some sell on clause in the deal
  • edited July 2019
    When does the transfer window close ? 3 or 4 weeks left ?

Whilst we need a striker in, I hope we are progressing with other deals.
  • Sebastian Halle is on his way to London for a West Ham medical, Sky Sports News understands, for a deal thought to be worth £45m.
  • edited July 2019

David Gold has confirmed that Byram has joined Norwich.

Still think £750k, particularly to a PL team, is very low.

A bit low, if true. But really, what has he achieved? He hasn't imo shown he's PL quality. If I was a Norwich fan I'd be very meh about this but would console myself that we haven't spent too much of the budget on him.

As a West ham fan, I think better get rid as he has no future here so is just a drain on resources. And is blocking the path for an Academy player. Our situation when we signed him was very different. Don't want him, don't need him.

I wish him well, except when he plays against us!
  • On the one hand I would say we have let go of a keeper, r/b, midfielder (Nasri), and three forwards but only signed two back up keepers and an AM. Which doesn’t look great as of now

To counter this we do have (hopefully) fully fit players in Reid, Wilshere and Yarmo who were by and large not available last season. I don’t count Sanchez in the same light as he does not improve our first team offering

I still think we need two not one forwards and a CM. But I fear that may not happen
  • If Pelle plays one up top he might get away with just one more striker but Wilshire / Reid are just going to be continually injured. Ogbonna isn't that good and Sanchez I woeful. A new CM is a must even if its a loan.

• It’s going to be Shelvey isn’t it?

:hmm:
  • I thought we would be all about Mooy this window. Would be well chuffed, but maybe best to let Noble have another season.
  • I have no idea what that says but can see the words London and Hammers in there so hopefully that bodes well
This discussion has been closed.