Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• The world has gone mad. Perez from Newcastle to Leicester for £30 million pounds. :wahoo:
  • Just saw that was hoping it was the Perez we had about the same ability
  • The thing with Arnie, is that he's always had a reputation for being a bit of a mercenary, so we shouldn't be shocked if that's what's happening now. The problem is (for me at least) that whenever we sign a mental stroppy player I just assume he's going to be the next Di Canio and just love it here and become a legend. I thought it with Arnie, I thought it with Payet, Morrison, Tevez, I'm sure there are others too. It's not his fault, it's mine :weep:
  • Sky Sports have directly attributed the quotes to Arnautovic's brother. There's no "Sky understands" here - his brother said it. They know their law very well and certainly wouldn't be attributing it to him if he hadn't.

At some point, Arnautovic has to sack his brother or we we'll have to stop telling ourselves that what one says is not linked to what the other wants.

Whatever his brother says is happening might not be true but the way he's talking is a problem.
  • And the comments directly attributed to his brother seem to contradict the idea that Arnie is asking for the transfer. He seems to be complaining that it is the club hawking Arnie about.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/11755183/marko-arnautovic-hands-in-transfer-request-at-west-ham
  • I've got a feeling we will end up playing most of our preseason games without a striker. We never seem ready for the start of the season.
  • Sky were the ones who reported that Arnie had put in a transfer request, and then the ones that reported that the club have denied receiving such a request...
  • I thought I detected a reluctance from Yarmalenko to head the ball which is not common amongst the best strikers,
  • Ex Whu reporting that its all about money (what a surprise) his brother hawking him around clubs in a bid to get either a transfer or a pay rise.
  • edited July 2019
    His brother said it on Talk Sport.

We've been round this square before.

If Arnie wanted to stay or was happy with his lot at the club he would ask his brother to put a sock in it.

He (Arnie) clearly doesn't mind and/or care.

The brother clearly doesn't know about irony, given he was doing the hawking in January.

It's all become rather aggravating, the way a gnat manages to find the air space just above your ear right after you turn the bed side lamp off.
  • arnie ought to know full well how destabilising this would be for the club, regardless of whether it is deemed hearsay. He is happy though for his brother to spout off so he can make him out to be the bad cop and give the outward impression that this is not what he really wants/thinks. Given what happened in Jan, however, there is no smoke without fire and IMO he either wants out or more money or both. Get rid I say, enough is enough
  • And the comments directly attributed to his brother seem to contradict the idea that Arnie is asking for the transfer. He seems to be complaining that it is the club hawking Arnie about.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11685/11755183/marko-arnautovic-hands-in-transfer-request-at-west-ham

It's the way he spoke that's the problem. What he said isn't that relevant, I don't believe anything he says.
  • Hamstew said:

I've got a feeling we will end up playing most of our preseason games without a striker. We never seem ready for the start of the season.

This is my concern. I don't really want a couple of strikers coming in on deadline day, particularly if they're new to the country, and having to find their feet against Man City.

We go into pre-season with Hernandez (who is on record as saying he's likely to be moved on), Hugill and Silva as our options up front. Not a great look, IMO.

Arnie is due to join the squad next week, but who knows what will happen when (if?) he rocks up.

Still hopeful that we'll see Gomez and Rondon arrive, but the longer these deals drag on, the less prepared we're going to be.
  • https://www.claretandhugh.info/reports-hammers-prepare-new-bid-for-striker/amp/#click=https://t.co/u7ptogfD4O

"New stories are emerging this morning the club is preparing a new £14 million offer for West Brom’s Salamon Rondon.

However, it’s probably best to treat that with considerable scepticism given the situation surrounding the striker situation at the moment.

With Marko Arnautovic seeking an exit and Chicharito available for the right money, the Hammers have made it clear they will make new moves once terms agreed for players.

A top Hammers source told us: “We have to make squad slots available but we have a number of targets.”"

I know it's C&H, but if that last statement is true, I'm a bit confused. It suggests we won't be making any moves until Arnautovic and/or Hernandez are gone, but surely we have 'squad slots' available as Carroll and Perez have gone :hmm:
  • alderz said:

The thing with Arnie, is that he's always had a reputation for being a bit of a mercenary, so we shouldn't be shocked if that's what's happening now. The problem is (for me at least) that whenever we sign a mental stroppy player I just assume he's going to be the next Di Canio and just love it here and become a legend. I thought it with Arnie, I thought it with Payet, Morrison, Tevez, I'm sure there are others too. It's not his fault, it's mine :weep:

I'm not shocked and I still believe the owners undermined Pellegrini in January, you could tell back then when he was deflecting questions to do with Arnie, didn't want to speak about it and I 100% believe in my opinion he would have rather left Arnie rotting on the bench or sold him in January than what the eventual outcome was.

The owners gave in, in the end and decided to pay him a loyalty bonus he was never worthy of possibly because the Gomez situation in January never panned out much like what is happening now.

Its all a bit De Ja Vu.
  • Yeold

That's what you think transpired, but that isn't necessarily what actually happened, is it?.
  • edited July 2019
    If the owners had sold him, other fans would be complaining that they gave in/cashed in/undermined the manager.

Others might be saying that a 'proper' manager could have got him motivated/turned around (a la Snodgrass).

There's a range of interpretations at where the blame lies.

Assuming that one thinks somebody has to take the blame.

Or, you know, that's football. There's no-one to blame, just a set of changing circumstances that affect how things turn out.

#philosophical

'events, dear boy, events' (the polite version of 'stuff happens') :biggrin:
  • If Marko is just after more money then let him leave, will I be elated if I see another I am fully committed to West Ham video or statement IMHO no. Get a decent fee, add it to the pot and try and buy a couple of high quality players. Ask Fornals to speak to Olmo from Zagreb to join us or Ceballos from Madrid. Are we going to play more than one striker, if we aren't then buy one to play regularly and just maybe Javier might stay and play a part as he did last season.
  • This sort of stuff must happen ALL the time. Otherwise how do players get pay rises/new improved contracts/moves. It is only sometimes that it gets played out in public and then everybody is looking for the villain of the piece.

I don't think clubs or managers are too fazed by it tbh, if they've been in the game a while.

I'm channelling my inner Pelle, and chilling. :smoking:

• Yeold

That's what you think transpired, but that isn't necessarily what actually happened, is it?.

Did Arnie receive a pay rise and a new contract. - Yes he did.
    Did Arnie / his brother, kick off in January over a lucrative deal from China - Yes they did

You can interpret whatever circumstances you believe lead to him being handed that new contract. I firmly believe he is doing to us what he did to Stoke, he is a mercenary that hides behind his brother. You have a different opinion clearly.
  • Spot on YeOld

He kicked off in Jan and was rewarded monetarily which on its own stinks to high heaven

I am confident that those actions destabilised the dressing room enough to probably cost us a place or two in the league by the time the season ended.

The club should act quickly now and just move him on rather than lie down and let its tummy be tickled (again)
  • I'm disagreeing with your interpretation of the owners undermining Pellegrini (or at least, pointing out it is just one possible view), not the facts.
  • Perez to Leicester for £30m is a weird one
  • Not once St Brendan works his magic...

Saw something suggesting that without the distraction of Europe, Leicester under St Brendan had a real chance of breaking into the top 6, and I thought :hmm:
  • Fornals for £24m or Perez for £30m

West Ham secure the first win of the season.
  • The guys had a few decent months. Ashley knows he rubbish and won't ever get that sort of money for him again. £29m profit on a poor player.
  • "New stories are emerging this morning the club is preparing a new £14 million offer for West Brom’s Salamon Rondon".

Is this really the kind of 'quality' we are looking for?
  • Means Newcastle now have the funds to buy Rondon
  • Good.

I don't want him.
  • Perez has a £30m release clause I his Newcastle contract.

I think he’s a tidy player in a very negative Newcastle side. Good finisher. Will do well at Leicester.

£30m is obvs nuts but Leicester new the release clause & paid it. No funny business.
This discussion has been closed.