Transfer rumours and speculation to take us through to summer.

Comments

• Morrison has done nothing to warrant being bought and as for Payet, dream on, after all the aggro he created when he left, he would not be welcome back.
  • Anderson has never looked any cop on the right. I don’t know why anyone would want a 32 year old Payet to come back and destabilise the dressing room. Personally, I only want characters that will improve the atmosphere around the club, without being high maintenance. Or Ravel. I love him.
  • I don’t get what Payet really did wrong. He wanted to go back to his old job cause his new one had become a joke. He came from the Euro finals, to a team that couldn’t beat part-timers with out him. Hardly broke the dressing room. Any player would dream of having him in the team, he makes everyone look 2 X better, one of the most unselfish quality players ever.
  • He signed a contract then went on strike.

Those are the facts.

You might think there are justifications for that, but lots of people don't. They (and I count myself among them) think he should have honoured his contract and if desperate to leave then put in for a transfer at the end of the season.

You might not agree, but surely you can 'get' why people think he behaved badly.
  • I respect you point of view. I was personally ashamed to watch that season, it was tragic attempt to play football. Not sure if I have ever seen such a dis-jointed team. We certainly didn’t deserve Payet on any type of contract, it was tragic to see him wasting away. I was happy that he got away from that. We are at a level he would be able to enjoy and shine again finally. Would wet my pants if he came back.
  • We certainly didn’t deserve Payet on any type of contract

Except for when we spent £10.7m for him to join us, and then paid him around £100k per week.

Statements like that seem designed to get a rise out of people.
  • edited July 2019
    Money had nothing to do with why he left. If you put that to one side, and look at the genuine reasons, he had every right in the world to want out. I would never hold a grudge for that.
  • That's your opinion, not a fact.

I disagree he had every right to want out, and even if he did, the way he went about it was shameful.

No one who thinks they are bigger than the team has any place at our club.
  • 'the genuine reasons'

no-one on here knows what they were

There is speculation and guesswork, fuelled by (self-serving?) statements made to the media by the player and his agent.

So fans are free to choose the one they like, or make up a different one, and believe in it.
  • edited July 2019
    I thought Payet left because Mrs Payet didn't like Loughton and took the kids back home (plus one of them may or may not have been "playing away").

He didn't have a great season 2018/19, just six goals, hasn't scored since November and 8 assists. He only played the full 90 minutes 9 times.

The last time he was in the French squad was October and he stayed on the bench.

Maybe he's past his "best before" date.
  • I personally think he would have had question marks about the club’s vision. There was a small window of opportunity to really kick on after the electric start to his first season. But in the end the likes of Eminike and Calleri arrived, so the ignominy of being knocked out of Europe before the kids had even got back to school was perhaps no surprise.

That being said, on Payet’s part if he was so disillusioned he shouldn’t have signed his improved contract. And downing tools completely was completely unacceptable when he was a contracted employee

The point about him making those around him better is a valid one though.

Overall, not in my forty years of supporting the club has one single player illuminated this club on the field the way he did IMO. Not even PDC or any member of the 85/86 squad (that season was more of a collective effort). But the thing to do now is cherish the memories!

• edited July 2019

I thought Payet left because Mrs Payet didn't like Loughton and took the kids back home (plus one of them may or may not have been "playing away").

There was a rumour doing the rounds that he was paying some attention to one particular supporter that made Mrs P go back to France, in rather a strop I'd imagine.

• To date, I've counted 68 players linked, plus the GK Roberto we signed who no one mentioned.

Here's the full list for June:

• You're a bit harsh on Ed Aarons :nonono:
  • I love all those phrases in column 3- we might have to play transfer window bingo next time :wahoo:
  • He was bigger than the club, that’s a fact! 32 year old Payet is more our level.
  • Rumours were he went cus his family were missing home, wonder if they will miss it when he’s in China 🇨🇳
  • He was bigger than the club, that’s a fact!

It's really not.

Stop it.
  • IBL

You've said what you wanted to say, and people have responded. Time to move on.
  • We are just 10 million short of an agreement for Duvan Zapeta according to sources. Not sure what he is worth, maybe nothing so they want ten million!
  • Well I guess £10m more than we have bid. ;)
  • One does not simply move on from being linked with Payet.
  • One does if one has any sense...
  • The man was a an asp :biggrin:
  • That Zaha at Palace looks good. Maybe worth a bid?
  • McHammer said:

We are just 10 million short of an agreement for Duvan Zapeta according to sources. Not sure what he is worth, maybe nothing so they want ten million!

Having done a bit of homework we tried unsuccessfully to get him a work permit six years ago, so this has been a very long drawn out "transfer" to beat Bacca etc. :ok:
  • That Zaha at Palace looks good. Maybe worth a bid?

You'll need better bait than that.
  • I'd love us to buy Zaha just to wind up the palace fans.
This discussion has been closed.