AFC Wimbledon (A), 7:45pm Sat 26th January

Comments

• ;weep

Wimbledon, the lowest scorers in League One...averaging LESS than a goal a game have just scored FOUR to knock West Ham out of the FA Cup...
  • ;weep

Wimbledon, the lowest scorers in League One...averaging LESS than a goal a game have just scored FOUR to knock West Ham out of the FA Cup...

Irons
  • That was just pitiful. Season virtually over and we aren’t out of January. Going to take a lot to finish 7th now. Pick your best team for the each game and worry about the next one when it comes around. ;angry
  • Agree on Fredericks.

At least we can’t draw Millwall in the next round ;yercoat
  • Wouldn't like to be Pelle if we lose to Wolves
  • What annoys me the most is how time and time again we put out weakened teams and almost seemingly deliberately care less about cup competitions and insult the fans.
    There was no way on earth that that team selection was a sign of intent to ensure we went through and the performance was abysmal.
    We’ve had some diabolical first halves this season but there wasn’t a player in that side first half who looked as if they wanted to be there.
    I hadn’t realised that the game was played in sub zero arctic temperatures as nearly all the team were wearing gloves which for some reason always indicates to me that they’re not up for a battle.
  • In all fairness to pelle if that team he put out can’t beat a team two divisions below then yes get rid but least he knows now what needs to be done our u23s would have put up more fight but let pelle decide who to get rid of I’m sure he will sort it out
  • Wally Downes:

"They are a passing team but with Andy Carroll in the side they have to go direct and they may have got caught between the two. We knew it was important to stop Mark Noble getting the ball."

It’s obvious what Carroll does to the team he just cannot play anymore.
  • I do agree to an extent, Cuz. That starting eleven should have had enough to beat a team 8 points adrift at the bottom of League One.

But I do think he should have de-risked it by playing a full strength team. We're doing nothing in the league this season, no threat of relegation, so why not go all out for the cup?

From what Pellegrini would have seen tonight, we need at least half a dozen players in in the summer.
  • I’d agree OCS but maybe I don’t know he thort we’ve got enough quality to beat this lot and rest a few for wolves, the players in that starting line up should hang there heads in shame no pride in the shirt at all and that for me is a must have above ability major overall still required and I still believe pelle the man going forward but massive wake up call imo
  • Nothing changes at this club. The gutless performance at Bournemouth and this result show that. It is just lucky there is so much dross now in the premier league we can survive. So I don’t usually comment any more.
    However I must say that was one of the worst performances in the clubs history. Which when you think that the FA cup is now our only chance of prolonging interest in every season . It was a disgraceful decision by the manager to field that side.
    Wimbledon are truly a shocking team shown by their league position but once again West Ham manage to heap embarrassment on their long suffering fans.
  • edited January 2019
    West Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini speaking to the club's official website: "It's very easy to explain what happened - it was one team who wanted to win and another team who played without any desire or any ambition to win or continue in this cup.

"Maybe we thought we were going to win because we are a Premier League team and they are in League One, but Wimbledon played with the desire to compete in this cup. In the first 45 minutes, we didn't fight.

"I changed three players because I could only make three changes. I could have changed all the players. Unfortunately for us, they scored their third goal in the first or second minute of the second half, which made it very difficult.

"It's very frustrating because you can be eliminated, but not in the way we were. It's a disaster."

Make the players refund the away fans Pelle.
  • As I’ve said Hutton it imo isn’t the line up it’s yhe performance surely that team ability wise is far superior to afc Wimbledon, it’s the attitude desire that comes into question
  • edited January 2019
    Pellegrini not pulling any punches, but it's the resting of the players that I don't agree with and that's on him.

We've had three chances to get 7th place this season and each time we've blown it. Such is our inconsistency that even if we beat Wolves you just know that we'll get turned over by Liverpool so we'll basically be treading water for the rest of the season and will end up 10th or 11th.

The cup was our season, IMO, and Pellegrini could have done more to give us a chance of progressing.

That said, I'm not excusing the players. Snodgrass, Anderson and Fredericks aside, the rest were an absolute disgrace.
  • edited January 2019
    Disappointed that Pelle took no responsibility in those quotes. Whilst it's true those picked did under perform HE was guilty of not prioritising our matches properly. He had players at his disposal that HE chose not to use. He took the teeth out of the team. What reason can he possibly have for leaving out Fabianski? Rice?? and not even having Arnie in the squad after his twitter message proclaiming his intention to give his all?

Does he think he needs keep Adrian happy? Masuaku happy? no he needs progress in the cup, because he is not Pep he doest have to prioritise a Champions league assault or a Premier league title attempt over the FA Cup. He has squandered a very live opportunity for a cup run and our season is now reduced to one question, which is will we finish higher mid table or lower mid table?

It is for this reason that I disagree we need make purchases in this transfer window because it really doesn't matter now, we are not getting relegated and we are winning nothing, so may as well wait for the summer and build properly.

Every cup game should have been treated like the final itself as there was simply no more important game this season than the current cup tie. And everyone knew it, except Pelle.
  • Or buy now and integrate them into the system while we are safe as opposed to blooding them into pre season and expecting them to hit the ground running
  • Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) I wasn’t able to watch the game so can’t comment on the players but how poor must we be to concede 4 goals against a team languishing at the bottom of the 3rd tier. And why do we have Coventry and Holland on the bench and no Arnie?
  • That was just pitiful. Season virtually over and we aren’t out of January. Going to take a lot to finish 7th now. Pick your best team for the each game and worry about the next one when it comes around. ;angry

Why are people saying there’s nothing to play for? £11.5m for 15th versus £25m for 8th. Each place is worth an extra £1.9m. I would say there’s still a lot to play for.

• Pelle picked a team that should have won that game imo too many of them did not turn up and a few will no longer be with the club in the summer . That team should have won the players need to take a large chunk of the responsibility for that . Pelle is a good manager he is attracting better players promoting youth and playing better football yet suddenly ppl saying he is a clown sorry I don’t get that. It was a bad result teams get them all the time. We are a work in progress but we are going in the right direction .
  • Not finishing in a position to have a chance of going into the Europa League is all I am concerned about, Winning a cup achieves that, the team last night failed to have the mindset to try to progress in the FA Cup!
  • I don’t think we are good enough to win the cup even if we had won last night one of the big boys will win it again probably.
  • Wally Downes:
    "They are a passing team but with Andy Carroll in the side they have to go direct and they may have got caught between the two. We knew it was important to stop Mark Noble getting the ball."

So maybe Wimbledon won because they had a plan. Did we have one? ;hmm
  • Pelle picked a team that should have won that game
    Absolutely PLF. There is no arguing with that. Pelle had every right to expect that team to beat Wimbledon and I lay no blame at his door for the shambles. In fact subbing three at half time makes clear his disappointment (too soft a word?) at the first 45 and what those players did for the club, the fans and him in that first half.
  • PLF + MNLH I absolutely agree

We were never winning the cup, never.

Those players last night should have been capable of making it much much harder for Wimbledon (having said that, cupsets happen, so we might still have been knocked out if we had our 'first XI' out there).

• I bet Wigan thought that a couple of years ago Mrs G.

I know it was unlikely that we would have gone on to win it, but a couple of favourable draws in the next few rounds could have seen the big guns facing each other and we could have had a run to Wembley.
  • edited January 2019
    Got to be in it to win it. In reality the cups are the only thing clubs like ours have a chance in winning. What else is there?
  • Cups are the only trophies we have a chance of winning in any of our lifetimes. If we're going to have a defeatist attitude about it then what's the point? Lots of Premier League teams out, the draw could have gone our way and once you get on a roll anything could happen. But no, let's all not give a stuff and look forward to finishing 12th.
  • I meant this year for the cup , once Pelle get another transfer window or two under his belt I think we will be in with a shout . The team has too many players that don’t fit Pelle system . The cup will be won by one of the big boys most seasons just like the league every so often you get a Wigan or Leicester our best chance is league cup .
  • Look at spurs so called big club they have won nothing in the last decade breaking the monopoly of the big teams is not going to be easy
This discussion has been closed.