AFC Wimbledon (A), 7:45pm Sat 26th January

Comments

• IF spurs go out that will be 3 out of the current top 5 no longer in the cup so we could possibly have gone deep in the competition this season.
  • So at the moment, it's South of the river - 2, North of the river - 0 ;biggrin
  • The number of empty seats behind the Palace goal ;doh
    A PL London derby in the FA Cup and empty seats is shameful.
  • At least this means we won't lose to Millwall. Now that really would be unbearable!
  • Poor spurs so many injures ,come down to our place and know what real injures are ;biggrin
  • VAR doing its job ;clap
  • edited January 2019
    Whilst it usually is a case of one of the big clubs winning the cup, its also worth remembering in 1980 (not to patronise the younger members) where we were and who we had to beat through the rounds to actually win it. True, it rarely happens. However, if you turn up on the day and have a bit of luck then who knows... Its not like we havent beaten Chelsea, Spurs, Man Utd, Arsenal and Liverpool in recent times (more so recent seasons with Liverpool in mind). We cant claim to have done well against Man City but most dont and we'd have to rely on another team getting rid of them. So, theoretically on our day, IF we turn up we are at a level of capability to feel we have a chance again basically anyone. Hence Wimbledon is a shameful way to go out...
  • Rocky

The performance was little short of disgraceful, but even had we gone through, we were still long odds against being finalists, never mind winners.

The 1980 side are still the last club outside the top flight to win the FA Cup.
  • Do the losing finalists qualify for Europe if the winners have already qualified by another route?
  • It’s how we qualified in 2006 but that route is now closed.
  • Regardless if we would have won the thing it's nice to be in it. That bit of hope even. You never know what teams could get knocked out along the way. For me personally it has been a good opportunity to take my boys to a game where I wasn't rinsed of cash and was easy to get a seat. I was hoping to get another home tie in the next round. That's just one of my own selfish reasons though.
  • Ham

The way we capitulated is really disappointing, but I think it is clear that Pelle wanted us through, and felt he had sent out a team easily good enough to do the job.

The players let him, and us, down.
  • Course they did. No doubt the players we had on the pitch should be able to handle Wimbledon. However these sort of games are banana skins especially for us. Playing Rice in my opinion would have certainly helped us control the midfield and protect the back four. Will never know for sure of course.
  • I agree hamstew but surely the back four shouldn’t need protection against Wimbledon,
  • But they did. Especially when Obiang decided to lose the ball giving them there second.
  • Well I can’t not agree with that lol
  • Dont get my wrong I get it they should be good enough. I just don't get why we are resting certain players.
  • I know what your saying maybe I don’t know he just thought there was enough there to get through and keep people fresh for the wolves game, I get the fairytale of the cup but I’m still gutted we are out because the way things are we could have got far in the cup, but the sad fact is some players think they can just turn up and not fight for the team and lack commitment and that for me is totally unacceptable, I’m 55 and can assure you I’d have put more effort in than many of those on show
  • It is not being out of the cup that upsets me, but the manner in which we fell out of the cup,

I can understand a premier team getting caught somewhat cold and going one down, but to go 3-0 down beggars belief.

I can only hope that the players feel as bad as I hope they do when they look in the mirror, make no mistake, the team that was sent out should have been strong enough to handle a team struggling at the foot of League One.

The conclusion is they were complacent and arrogant and even when it became apparant very early on that Wimbledon were up for it and capable of creating chances, we were unable to raise our game in response.

I know that we have gone out to lower league opposition before, but this result feels particularly shameful
  • And now to work to face the music
  • Rice has played all through December and January maybe Pellegrini thought two games in four days was pushing it and felt he needed a rest. Rice is one player we really can’t afford to get injured with so many defenders and midfielder already out
  • Dead season we can't beat the teams around us too get 7th.
  • Well that spoilt what could and should have been a perfectly agreeable weekend. Confirms really that we need a bloomping good clear out in the summer. Carroll has just about lost everything. He used to be a pretty athletic player for a big lad. One injury too many methinks. Not being overly dramatic when I say that must be the worst performance I have ever seen from a West Ham side. Mind boggling that a team at the foot of the third tier can outplay a top half premier league side. All over the park. For ninety minutes. Hope the "A" team, including Arnie, are up for it the rest of the season. Looking forward to finishing between 7th and 17th.
  • PLF

From what I've seen, I don't think many people are suggesting that players didn't need a rest. More that they should have been rested for the Wolves game instead of the Wimbledon game. IMO, the cup was the most important competition for us. However, maybe the board and the club generally didn't agree.

Remembering our previous exploits in Europe, I can't help but feel that we aren't ready, so missing out on Europe isn't the worst thing, but a shot at the cup would have been big.
  • Dead season we can't beat the teams around us too get 7th.

Worse than that Yeold, if we carry on playing like that performance, I can see
    another relegation dog fight on the horizon.

• By that logic.... if we carry on playing like our best performance, you can see a top 6 finish.

We all know neither scenario is going to come to pass.
  • You are probably right Mrs Grey, but I think we will end up nearer the bottom
    than the top.
  • That's the spirit.
This discussion has been closed.