AFC Wimbledon (A), 7:45pm Sat 26th January

Comments

• Hurts even more when you see things like this

IMG_20190128_101929

A real opportunity to make the semis at least.

You know, if we'd beaten the worst team in the 3rd tier ;weep
  • The team was plenty strong enough to win, lacked character. Wimbledon will draw city away next :) mp will have learnt a lot from the game and will have summer to refine the squad. In a funny way the game could help in the long run as fringe player blew their chance to force their way into the first team.
  • The last time the competition looked this open (in terms of the teams left in it) we went on to........... get pumped 4-0 at WBA.

FA Cup drama eh? You can't beat it.
  • whupathman, but they weren't fringe players, all of them except Adrian (and I'm not 100% sure on that either) have started/played in PL games this season.
  • Hamstew said:

Regardless if we would have won the thing it's nice to be in it. That bit of hope even. You never know what teams could get knocked out along the way. For me personally it has been a good opportunity to take my boys to a game where I wasn't rinsed of cash and was easy to get a seat. I was hoping to get another home tie in the next round. That's just one of my own selfish reasons though.

The semi final at Villa Park following John Lyall's death was one of my best experiences in decades of being a hammers fan.
  • Can’t believe some are saying we wouldn’t win it anyway as any kind of justification

Look whose left! With the exception of 3 clubs it’s game on, and two of those we got results against recently

I’m still massively annoyed at the performance/result and that side should been easily good enough against a team that hadn’t won since Boxing Day
  • Slaven - Only two clubs outside the top 6 have won it in 20 years Portsmouth and Wigan both got relegated
  • It shows that historically the big 6 win the cup ?? I have said I think once Pellegrini has a few transfer windows we will be in with a chance if winning a cup (League Cup most likely) but at present we are not good enough imo. I think Pellegrini picked a team strong enough to progress and the players let him down.
  • edited January 2019
    Slizzy

Can’t believe some are saying we wouldn’t win it anyway as any kind of justification
    Who is? Don't think I've seen anyone say anything to try to justify that performance.

What I have seen is some people making the quite reasonable point that getting through wouldn't guarantee anything.
  • You have to be in it to win it.
  • Yeold

Well, yes.

But 'being in it' doesn't mean you will.

So I'm not sure we're much further forward.
  • PCF then it was a great chance to make it 3 wasn’t it?

Grey - even mentioning that “well we wouldn’t win it anyway”

Why bother then, let’s pack up and go home now, I mean what’s the point?
  • I have to agree. I can't understand why some people would think we wouldn't have won it anyway
  • Also think another great opportunity passed us by...
    And nearly every pundit who's discussed it agrees ....
  • Slizzy

I rather think it was to counter what seemed to be an attitude of 'We'd have won it if we'd beaten Wimbledon', and now our season is over.

If people think our season ends when we are knocked out of the cups, then most seasons they are going to end around Jan/Feb.

Ham

Well, there are lots of reasons, actually, so not sure why you can't understand.

It feels like some people are equating this with a lack of ambition, or indifference, which I don't think it is.
  • edited January 2019
    I'm all ears. Tell me why we were never going to win it. Personally I think we could have and always do have a chance.
  • imo Man City will win it.
  • Sorry, Ham, but there's a difference between 'wouldn't have won it' and 'were never going to win it'.

The first allows the possibility, but says on balance we won't, the other negates the possibility.

In the 28 finals since the start of the PL era, 3 teams outside what are considered the top 6 have won the cup.

So, was it possible for us to win it? Yes. Did I think it would happen? On balance, no.

I will be surprised if one of Citeh, Man U or Chelsea don't win it, and that wouldn't have changed if we had got through.
  • I think they will.
  • Grey people said we would never have won it. That's what my comment was aimed at. That's what I don't understand
  • ;ok

I shall leave them to explain... (or not)
  • Its not about if you can or will. We play in the premier league and go up against top 6 opposition every season.

It doesn't matter if the statistics are against you, the statistics were against Wimbledon and they beat us.

No reason that we can't beat a top 6 team in 1 game or final.

The FA Cup and League Cup are the most likely pieces of Silverware we could win. We were in a position in the league that allowed us to go for it and we straight up bottled it.
  • Grey, not sure about that, maybe it was a reaction to help deal with what was frankly a shocking loss on all levels, performance, effort, artittude, from senior players against a side that couldn’t buy a result lately and couldn’t stop leaking goals......

Who knows, but I’d of been a lot happier if we’d of been in that draw with a chance to beat the likes of city, MUFC and the no history lot.....

I’ve always been one that has argued about the season being over type mentality, but for the first time in a very long while I’m actually beginning to think that!! I will come
    out of it, but this result has really made me
    Angry, and with nearly every player that took to that pitch, and just a tiny bit for a manager who was massively let down, I really hope he gives it to them training

As for Arnie, can’t even go there right now
  • Slizzy

Whatever else people may be agreeing on or not, I don't imagine anyone doesn't think that the performance against Wimbledon was a disgrace.
  • Slaven - yes if we had got through it would have been a chance I just feel we are too inconsistent as shown by the fact we beat Arsenal one week and lose to Wimbledon a few weeks later. One off games yes we can beat anyone on their day but there are another 4 rounds yet and I feel our lack of any consistent form would have seen us knocked out. I was fuming after the result but my anger is more at the players than the manager I wanted a nice cup run as much as anyone.
  • I'm probably more angry about this defeat than when we threw the FA Cup against Forest and that's not something I thought I'd every say...
  • MrsGrey said:

imo Man City will win it.

Do you reckon Wigan thought that before playing them last season?
  • Leaving the door open for Manchester Untied and Chelsea to contest the final.
This discussion has been closed.