The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• Jorderz - if it true that he won't have to pay tax, then he would be earning 8 times his current salary, which is eye-watering, and one would have to imagine enormously tempting for someone whose earning ability in their current profession has maybe 5 years to run.
  • What he (or one of us) can spend in a week is irrelevant. The point is that the guy won't be earning that amount for ever and he probably needs to ensure his future comforts for the next 2000 weeks.
  • edited January 2019
    Looking at those figures Grey just posted certainly puts it in perspective. Crikey.
  • The reason he wouldn't take it is it's not his to accept as he has a contract signed willingly. He can accept it only if we agree to release him from the contract, and this is the real issue. Forget what he is being offered, are we being offered enough? that should be the decider as otherwise the buying club is dictating the fee also by making the players wages too good to reject. It's as if the club he is under contract to don't matter once the player now decides he wants to go. Most felt we under received for Payet, and we all accepted 'personal reasons' now we may under receive for Arnie on account of ' how could he refuse those wages'.

In my view the initially reported 35m is not enough and I feel £45m is the minimum we should accept as after Stokes fee that will leave us with a reasonable sum to enter the market for a striker with. If they complain the simple question is if you think he is worth three times what we are paying him why is he not worth 3 times what we paid?
  • Aslef said:
    "Compared to most people they earn massive amounts of money while compared to others (Richard Branson, Steve Zuckerberg, Bill Gates) they earn very little."

Aslef, you should see what Steve Zuckerberg's brother Mark makes. ;biggrin
  • His life changed the minute he signed his first pro football contact that had ‘000s a week at the end of it.

Yes earning four times more tax free ...(curious how does that work in China where they tax the foreign player transfer fee - is that the manner they get their tax - not the salary??) is a massive thing to be offered if true.

I’m not blaming him, and I’m not knocking noble either, but they’re already in a bubble where their life has changed massively, this just increases that imo
  • edited January 2019
    Slizzy

I know what you mean, but I'd compare it to winning £1m on the lottery, or £60m on the Euromillions.

As an example

I have a son and grandson, three sisters, three god-children, Mrs G has 2 parents, 2 brothers.

If we won £1m, it wouldn't be possible to do very much for any of them - anything would help, obviously, but it wouldn't be life-changing for them, or us, really.

For me, for most players, that is their realistic situation.

With £60m, however, we could afford to sort out everyone in our immediate family in a life-changing way, plus help lots of our friends as well.

For me, this would be what Arnie would have if he went to China (assuming the figures are correct.)
  • The reason he wouldn't take it is it's not his to accept as he has a contract signed willingly. He can accept it only if we agree to release him from the contract, and this is the real issue. Forget what he is being offered, are we being offered enough? that should be the decider as otherwise the buying club is dictating the fee also by making the players wages too good to reject. It's as if the club he is under contract to don't matter once the player now decides he wants to go. Most felt we under received for Payet, and we all accepted 'personal reasons' now we may under receive for Arnie on account of ' how could he refuse those wages'.

Pellegrini has made it clear he will only allow Arnie to leave if Shanghai meet our asking price and it appears that Arnie is willing to play so not really the same as with Payet.

Also Payet took a wage cut to move to Marseille.
  • Jerderz and grey_til_I_dye -
    Arnautovic will be liable to income tax on his earnings in China. It has a progressive system of taxation and all foreign nationals have to pay it. Whether his employing Club will compensate him for tax too, it not known. Income tax will be deducted at source by the Chinese employer. The highest marginal rate of income tax is 45%, the same as in the UK. If Arnie chose to stay for more than five years in China then he will be required to pay taxes on his worldwide income, not just the Chinese income. Hence the media references to a four year contract in China.
  • Oh god I don't know what to think anymore. You should see some of the stuff on twitter that Marco may or may not have said on his or not his Instagram account ;fence
  • Hamstew said:

Oh god I don't know what to think anymore. You should see some of the stuff on twitter that Marco may or may not have said on his or not his Instagram account ;fence

What sort of things?
  • edited January 2019
    Grey ;ok

Latest is that he’s left out v Bournemouth because his head isn’t right

Jeez these players
  • edited January 2019

Hamstew said:

Oh god I don't know what to think anymore. You should see some of the stuff on twitter that Marco may or may not have said on his or not his Instagram account ;fence

What sort of things?
    Naughty swear words

Just an altercation with someone else where he says stuff (swear word though) West ham.
    Probably not legit though.
  • edited January 2019
    I'm not going to work next week my head's not right. Another company has offered me more cash and I want to go before my four weeks notice. It's not fair.
    ;wink
  • edited January 2019
    ;wotsits
  • I recently read Tina Moore's bio of Booby. Everyone was paid the standard wage of 25 quid a week. Yeah, I know that was 50 years ago, but 25 pounds then to 200,000+ today is mind blowing.
  • Roughly 5 years ago I earned 70K in one month.
    It took my (ex)wife just 4 months to spend it
    If I was offered 4 times that amount to move to China, I'd do it and it would be life changing... I'd have divorced my wife 4 times quicker ;wink
  • If the bids for Gomez and the Polish lad are true, then, with the money being touted, its surely not coincidence that the club are expecting Arnie to go (this window).

I took him out of my cheap team at the finish of the last GW. I felt sure he'd play tomorrow and score a hattrick ;biggrin ;phew

With the amount of money being potentially offered to him, I'm surprised they havent just upped it a bit to 40 or 45M on the premise we'd most likely take it.
  • Baz, remember everything is doubled with the Chinese tax

So £35m is £70m, £40m=£80m, £45m=£90m and so on
  • Poor showing from Arnie IMO...But we were warned by Stoke...not too dissimilar to Payet, yeh he refused to play, whereas Arnie by all accounts cant deal with it...
  • Overall, I think it best that he goes, his head appears to have been turned and it seems like we are going to get a decent return for him so I for one, offer up my thanks and wish him all the very best.

I obviously know very little about him but I do know that living and working in another country with a very different culture requires compromise and adjusting to a different way of life is not always easy.

I trust that he knows what he is getting into and can only hope that it does not end in tears.

• So much for his brother’s claim that he will continue to give 100%. My head’s not into a lot of things such as when the wife bangs on about some decorating. Don’t fancy my chances if I said my head’s not in the right place because if I did it would certainly be in a wrong place soon after.
  • Just an opinion, with no actual evidence, but I get the feeling that Arnie is thinking of his wider family, and being able to provide for them, rather than just himself.
  • edited January 2019
    Grey, cant agree about that, I mean if he cant help/think of his wider family with what he already earns then there is a major problem within...
    But agree with what Chicago said, thanks for the past, and good luck in China, may his fortunes provide happiness for him and his family!
  • It's simple for me. Once a player wants to leave due to money alone, he shouldn't play for the club again. Get what you can for him and move on.

I have much more sympathy for a player if it is a bigger club that he wants to go to. I know this also often means higher wages anyway, but I get that.

Good luck to Arnie if he leaves, but I am now looking at our team without him in mind.
  • When we ship off Hernandez / Perez / Carroll in the summer too that will be a large wedge of wages off the bill. Has to be easily around 400k+ between the 4 of them
  • I thought the rumour was Pellegrini had left Arnie out of the squad.

Is the rumour now that Arnie didn't want to play?
  • I think the 'not in squad' is now confirmed, as it has been reported in reputable (for a given definition) outlets.

The reasons why are not known.The cub has declined to comment on the reasons (as per BBC). Guardian claim (without quoting or attributing) it is because the saga is affecting his focus. https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/jan/18/marko-arnautovic-bournemouth-china-west-ham
  • I’d focus for 4K let alone 40k or 400k and this is where in their world the lives have already massively changed

It shouldn’t even be an issue, whether it’s Pelle observing the boys body language in training or Arnie thinking he can’t focus.

For me it’s just one step back from the downing tools which Payet did to force his own way.

Even if he doesn’t go, he’s gonna find it hard to come back from this with the fans, in conjunction with the absolute rubbish his brother spouts ......

you swim with the sharks you will get bitten, it’s so disappointjng especially with the quotes from Noble whose clearly trying to act as mediator here “ he said while at thigh club I will give 100%” well clearly your not mate!!