The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• Well that was a bit of a saga.

I’m so pleased I didn’t get caught up in it all ;whistle

I am pleased he stayed, we really do need him. But can he please gag his brother.
  • Another 5 months of him is only going to benefit us providing he is up for it.

In the summer, who knows. A new 5-year deal would have implied commitment, a year extension sounds like a sweetener for staying until seasons end.

But, after watching Carroll & Hernandez last night, god do we need him.
  • Lukerz

A new 5 year deal would have taken him up to 34. Effectively, he's signed a 3.5 year deal (if the 1 year extension is true). There's different ways of framing it, but if the rumour was 'Arnie signed new 3.5 year deal' rather than 'Arnie signs 1 year extension', it sounds far more significant.

I agree with Grey on this. People can be frustrated by the saga, but this is the outcome we all wanted a couple of weeks ago. Our last month, in purely contract terms, can be summarised as:

"West Ham sign Samir Nasri and extend the contracts of two key players - Arnie & Rice"

Not bad, I'd say.
  • Diangana ;ok
  • Arnie is our best player

He's a game changer and a player who genuinely scares the opposition when they see his name on the team sheet

There is a question mark about how committed he is, but as far as I'm aware he is the type of guy who excels when he's annoyed because he's a fiery character

I just hope he is fully fit, because he was never allowed time to recover properly after he got injured and that's why he looked off the pace for so long

He's an asset and if it's only gonna be another 5 months with him let's hope it's a good 5 months
  • Mine wasn’t so much a dig at the board pelle or arnie anyone be stupid not to want him on side he’s better than we’ve got without him it was just a question to find out answers not slating board I’ve done that previously but now they deserve praise
  • There's been enough drama around him, didn't like the way his brother acted on his behalf, but now IMO that's the past, It's time for him to to the business on the park!
  • Why are so many assuming that he'll leave in the summer?
    I don't think he'll get a better offer from any other EPL club given his temperamental attitude and it looks like West Ham have effectively priced him out of the Chinese market taking into account the 100% tax a Chinese club would have to pay.
    Where else is he going to go?
    Maybe he'll just accept that we are as good as it gets for him at this stage of his career and focuses his undoubted ability on getting us up the table.
  • Don’t think there is any argument that most if not all of us want Arnie playing?

Try something different?

I’d say it’s not an every day occurrence that a club say he’s staying and under contract.

Then 2 weeks later they reward him with a slightly improved deal, that (rumour) has a buy out clause in, plus more incentives.

Trouble is, during that 2 weeks he was quoted as saying he would give 100% while at the club but the reality is .....

His head wasn’t right for one game - not selected.

Didn’t do enough in training - not selected.

Therefore he has played a part in what the manager thought and did, and I can’t see that being anything other than a negative for the club, because we lost both of those games, obviously you can’t blame Arnie for all that but it is a factor and we will never know if we’d have a decent shot at 7th or how we’d done in the FA cup

Then to release that video just after, truly incredible imo, that’s up there in one of their top 3 PR gaffs, and they’ve got a few!

Now if there is another PL club that has acted like this I’ll say fair enough it’s just the game these days

;ok
  • I do agree that announcing it immediately after the result was a PR gaffe. They should have done it before to give everyone a boost, or they should have waited til today.
  • edited January 2019
    Absolutely Alderz, I just can’t work out the timing of it unless it was an incredible amount of arrogance thinking we’d get a result and boost some kind of feel good factor?

The fact he says he’s BACK is telling for me, therefore he truly believes he’s been away, well where have you been Marko?

You haven’t been injured (possible minor back complaint) therefore you may not of officially refused to play but you did enough to let the manager believe you either weren’t ready in the head or on the training ground.

Stop taking us for mugs, get back to working hard and doing your best and what your paid for, I won’t give you any flack as long as you do that, but I won’t be praising or lording you either, the team yes but not you.

coyi
  • Apparently, 20 years ago today, we signed Paolo Di Canio.
    That turned out to be a rather good signing, although I think my exact words at the time were, we don’t need that sort of player.
  • And he also had a really good signature. ;biggrin

He signed a shirt for me and as his was the first, I of course had to get his name and number on the back. ;biggrin
  • Regarding the timing of the announcement ... yes unfortunate due to our dismal performance but press releases don't just happen, it takes some work and scheduling. They didn't just decide after the game, to put out a release. Maybe the powers that be anticipated a big win for us and didn't think that we would be so pathetic.
  • Or perhaps they thought it was a good time to bury bad news. ;whistle
  • Don’t think you could dig a hole big enough or find news good enough to bury last night’s bad news.
  • edited January 2019
    Title should read.

"Mercenary want away signs improved deal to make sure he will provide 100% until the Summer when he can leave"

Player power lol. Takes them months to sort out Rice's contract. Takes them 3 weeks and a tantrum for another and he' still wants out in summer.
  • If he stays excellent, if he goes it will be for a lot of money, excellent
  • You can use that title to cover many players. If Rice hadn't got a new contract he would have left.
  • How is he going to behave in the interim?

I would ask that along with gagging and binding his brother he refrains from thumping his chest, pointing at the badge, making love heart shapes with his hands after scoring a goal. Perhaps he can practise the 'Alan Shearer'....

I will of course celebrate along with him.... minus any running of course.
  • Times saying his buy clause is £45m
  • That is one positive we’ve got out of it, we’re not going to let him leave on the cheap and without making a profit

For some reason I actually feel worse about this Arnie situation than I ever remember doing about Payet.....

Probably just me, but I’m fuming
  • I have no idea why you're fuming.

Our best player is staying and, if he leaves in the summer, will most likely cost more money than we would have got now.

Maybe it's because Arnautovic is the first footballer in the world to use another offer to get himself a salary increase?

No, that can't be it...

In fact, I'm sure there are plenty of us Average Joes on here who can say they've used another job offer to get themselves a salary increase during their years of work (I certainly have, though that wasn't my intention, and I don't think it was Arnie's, incidentally).

How on earth Arnie can be compared with Payet is beyond me. The only thing I can see is that Payet was, for reasons completely beyond me, getting a free ride because people were using the snake's refusal to play as a stick to beat a board they already didn't like. Payet was being spared flak from some quarters because it was a great opportunity to blame the board for lack of investment, instead of blaming the snake for REFUSING TO PLAY.

Oh, and there were unsubstantiated reports from 'ITKs' that 'family issues' were behind Payet's complete and utter disrespect of our club and the fans who worshipped him.

But the idea of Arnie wanting to quadruple his salary to potentially secure his family's futures is unacceptable, and it must be about personal greed instead.

And Pelle and Noble must have been lying when they said that Arnie hadn't refused to play, and that he promised to give 100% (even if that wasn't strictly a promise Arnie could make, being human and therefore distracted at the possibility of having to relocate to the other side of the world).

Personally, I'm just very happy Arnie is still here, even if it's until the summer. He's our best player and we need him.
  • Rice is our best player ;whistle
  • Does anyone know that Arnie has definitely received a salary increase or other type of payment?
  • Bubbles,

Good point. I have no idea if he has or not. It's probably a safe assumption, but nothing confirmed, as far as I know.
  • edited January 2019
    For all Payets faults.....

He came out and said he didn’t want to play and get the move....

He did more in his time with us than Arnie will ever do (in my opinion) ....

Arnie and his brother have manipulated the situation, he’s made himself essentially unavailable for two key games which we lost all the while being quoted as giving 100%, We needs him at the weekend.

Both of them were “wrong” to a degree, but these comments and Video by Arnie “being back” - I almost threw up.

We’re a million miles apart on this, so I will take the very unusual step of ending this right now, I respect your opinion, please respect mine, your happy he’s here until the summer, I couldn’t care less if he never pulled the shirt on again tbh.

If he earns his wages like the others then that’s fine, I’m just not sure he will fully heal his relationship with the fanbase, which up until Jan was everything you’d want it to be

;ok
  • Does anyone know that Arnie has definitely received a salary increase or other type of payment?

Think it’s incentive / bonuses plus you have to give another year - PL rule

Obviously we get the buyout bit which is good makes it very clear
  • Payet refused to play (and when he did He was pretty pants)

Arnie was dropped by Pellegrini and has since committed himself (and has been ome of our most important and driven players this season before the initial bid)

How anyone can compare the 2 is beyond me
  • Arnie committed himself in the middle of his fiasco, then didn’t play for 2 games, after appearing to wave goodbye then recorded a “im back” video.......

Did you go anywhere then Marko? If so please share where?

Payet was bang out of order but he didn’t seem to be playing these games with the fans

Anyway it’s done now, get behind the team and all that hopefully he can shoot us up the league of “nothing to play for”

;ok