The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• I think the club have gone about this well pay us what we think he’s worth you can have him, over to his brother now to turn it round for him and earn his commission from the deal, it’s a shame but we as a club and us the fans will still be here no matter the cost lol
  • Ex now saying Arnie has confirmed he's staying ;lol
  • yeah his instagram kind of confirms it.
  • Welcome back Arnie
  • I’m disappointed if this means no Maxi Gomez!
  • #backtrack
  • I’m disappointed if this means no Maxi Gomez!

Yeah, was getting quite excited for that move ;lol
  • If the above is true then he will be playing tomorrow night, won't he?
  • ;doh no mention of next season
  • I’ve had no problem with the way Arnie has handled any of this, and good on him for the statement.

Despite some of the vitriol, I think he’s behaved fairly decently. He wanted to leave, because he’s human and anybody would take a salary increase of that kind (literally, all of us, when confronted with two similar jobs without any emotional connection to the companies).

But he HAS NOT refused to play. Pelle left him out because he felt he was distracted, as any other human would be. You can’t be 100% in the toughest league in the world if you’re distracted, even if you don’t mean to be.

Compare it with the snake Payet, who refused to play. Noble said Arnie had promised to keep giving 100% (and I trust Nobes completely) even though he wanted to leave.

Arnie is the best striker outside the top 6. I hope he smashes in a couple tomorrow.

Oh, but I think we should still sign Gomez ;biggrin
  • Does this count as a new signing ;whistle
  • Well at least that’s sorted time to close the thread ;lol
  • edited January 2019
    While he is a West Ham player and plays, I will always support him, do i think he's handled it particulary well, not really....
    Until the Summer then..... ;run
  • steve said:

;doh no mention of next season

Yeah, that last paragraph doesn't exactly scream long-term commitment. Still, let's see what happens in the summer.
  • I wonder if he cleared this with the club...

Or there may be an difficult call in the next day...

Hi Marko, we've accepted an offer from China as we want a 7 year younger striker from Spain...
  • Or Dave threw in a weekly Meal voucher at the local Chinese Restaurant .....
  • According to SSN we are still in talks for Gomez and it is independent of whether Marko stayed or went. Presumably Pelle knows he’s leaving, if not January, then certainly in the summer and is being proactive.
  • We need to, imo, snap up Gomez now so we don't get gazumped in the summer by a "bigger" club.
  • Always loved Arnie
  • IronHerb said:

We need to, imo, snap up Gomez now so we don't get gazumped in the summer by a "bigger" club.

Even if it's agreement with Celta to meet the buy out clause in the summer. If we wait, and his form continues, we run the risk of other teams getting involved.
  • Best thing to do...

Enter negotiations over a new deal with a pay rise between now & summer...

If he says no, then we sell him in the summer with a few months to replace him.
  • I think the best course of action would be to buy Gomez and loan him back to Celta for the rest of the season as Celta need him for their relegation battle.
  • Why would you loan him back they want the release clause paid ?
  • Bottom line is we don't have £43m to trigger the clause now that Arnie is staying.

Best we can hope for is a gentleman's agreement that we'll pay it in the summer (and give them Perez as a sweetener)
  • Yeold they want the release clause paid but don’t want him to leave until the summer. I’m sure in the summer there’ll be other clubs in for him so to buy him now and loan him back would suit everybody.
  • To achieve that outcome is usually a result of good diplomacy, the club and Pelle have likely played a blinder.

If they also are able to support Pelle by allowing him secure Arnies replacement now to allow a settling in period before Arnie leaves would show a level of professionalism and financial backing which I doubt many of us would have imagined possible only last season.

Things are looking up for sure.
  • We will need another striker as none of our current strikers are likely to be here next year. If Arnie still is then great as we will have two top quality forwards and Arnie can play on the wing too.
  • Forget loaning him back. Buy him and play him. I wouldn't like to see a £40m signing out on loan.