The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• I took it to mean he was finding it hard to concentrate fully.

You make it sound like he's been slacking, which isn't what was said.

'work better' is a broad term, and can encompass many aspects of their training and match preparation activities, including the analysis of the opposition.
  • I just think he’s a greedy so and so and has no respect for his employers or the fans. His priority whilst he’s still with the club is to focus on what he’s paid to do. If the move’s going to happen it will happen. He’s no better than Payet and is trying to force a move.
    The club has said he can go if it’s beneficial to all parties which it clearly isn’t at the moment.
  • The Daily Mail says the deal is off.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-6611309/West-Ham-striker-Marko-Arnautovics-45m-China-Guangzhou-pull-out.html

So, do we try to sell Arnie because he wanted to move to another club?

By that logic Paulo Di Canio would have left in 2002 not 2003, Tony Cottee would have left in 1987 not 1988 and Bobby Moore would have left in 1966 not 1974.
  • Keep him and still buy Maxi Gomez I say.
  • Can we afford to drop another £40m this soon after Anderson?

I'd love to see Gomez here but can't see it without getting the full £50m for Arnautovic.
  • Whetstone is saying that the highest offer is £35m and £5 of that would go to stoke and Arnie for his solidarity (loyalty) payment therefore leaving us with 30m (after paying his wages we essentially break even)

Loyalty? Games gone mad, his brother has been touting him left right and Center

I really hope the club dig in on this one, let’s get what we need/want

I don’t care if it is his head, focus or effort he’s not injuried so therefore it’s on him and he and his brother created this situation, he’s getting paid and not available for selection based on any of the above, and he has given the manager a decision to make, therefore its on him, it’s almost on par with downing tools.

Terrible from a player who told Noble a week before I’ll give 100%

• Yep imo we need to dig out heels in and not be held to ransom by anyone. We don't desperately need to sell or buy. If he's going to strop and refuse to play then drop him and fine him. If he is giving 100% like some people claim then play him.
  • Slav why are we arguing with them if we only need to give Stoke £5. That’s not much to lose
  • Hamstew said:

Yep imo we need to dig out heels in and not be held to ransom by anyone. We don't desperately need to sell or buy. If he's going to strop and refuse to play then drop him and fine him. If he is giving 100% like some people claim then play him.

In principle, I agree, but if we want to make something of this season we can't afford to have our best forward on the books but not playing. Either he stays, plays and gives 100% (which I can't see given his behaviour so far) or we have to sell him and buy a replacement that will help us try to push on.

Keeping him and letting him rot with the U23s is not in our best interests if we have any ambition to achieve 7th or give the FA Cup our all.
  • edited January 2019
    Amie isn't worth £30m and we shouldn't be mugged off just because a few people are stropping imo. I think if we were fighting relegation it might be a bit more difficult to do but we are in a situation where we can stand firm I think. People are having a go at Carroll and he is fairly shocking at the moment but at least he's on the pitch representing our club.
    I'd rather see Silva given more of a chance and Browne bought back.

Also £30m isn't enough for a replacement imo
  • Has Pellegrini or anyone connected to the club said that Arnie has refused to play?

From everything I've read it was Pellegrini who judged that Arnie wasn't in the right frame of mind and it was Pellegrini's choice not to include him in the squad. For all we know Arnie might have wanted to play yesterday.
  • It needs to be sorted though because the Chinese window closes 28 Feb. I can see their meeting our valuation after our window closes and we are left high and dry although Pelle mthink we’d be ok but he has said before that we need another striker in the window however that may be because he knew what was brewing.
  • Did he say we need another striker?

I missed that.

Can you point me to where you saw it, thorn?
  • edited January 2019
    We'll I trust the manager and if he says he isn't I the right frame of mind then his head is elsewhere and wants to go imo.
  • Thorn lol

Also not sure where I read it, but sorry to hear about your family member? Been through similar in the last 12-18 months, stay strong.

Pellegrini has now said that from what he saw in training last week both Perez and Arnie were not as good as the rest, hence they didn’t make the 18, on top of that there were discussions between MP and MA and he didn’t think he was in the right place.

I’m sorry but the geezer is an absolute disgrace, I don’t care what his reasons are, the way him and his brother - who is employed / hired by arnie have acted is nothing short of disgusting.

Redknapp (I know!!) also said yesterday that he was told Arnie refused to travel.

;angry
  • My wife asked me this morning to clean out the fire and lay a new one. I said "sorry darling my head's not in the right place this morning." She said that if I want it still on my shoulders I'll get on with it. ;fishslap
  • Mrs G I think it may have been in response to a question at one of his press conferences but can’t remember which.
  • "A manager must choose the players that work better during the week," said Pellegrini. "Marko has his head on another issue so it wasn't a good idea for him to play."
    I trust the manager, last week Pellegrini thought Arnie was in the right frame of mind to play despite him wanting to move to China, this weekend he felt weekend Arnie wasn't in the right frame of mind.

Now that it seems the deal has fallen through next weekend Pellegrini could decide Arnie is in the right frame again.
  • edited January 2019
    Im actually suprised on here how many are sympathetic to Arnie...
    Why is he being given this im not sure, I trust our managers judgement and at the moment it imo shouldn't be questioned.
    I agree, the club should demand a figure and if not met, he stays, whether he likes it or not, if he doesn't wanna train or play, take him to the cleaners....
    If he should stay, surely it'll be in everyones best interest, including himself to perform, which might then help him get his desired Chinese move at the end of season...or when the transfer market opens again....
  • He trained all week and from what Pellegrini says he decided to leave Arnie out of the squad(unless Pellegrini is lying)

Noble says none of the players have any problem with Arnie, they want him to stay but they understand why he'd want to move (perhaps because they'd all do the same if they were offered that sort of money).

For the players football is not personal, its business.

Can anyone on here honestly say they wouldn't be tempted by four times the money to do the same job somewhere else?
  • If the Chinese deal has fallen through, it would be a tough job for the manger to reintegrate Arnie in the team, especially as the player's heart is not at the Club. I am sure that many fans, like me, would have less affection for him. Club pays players when they are injured or off form and is expected to honour its contract, but the same cannot be said of some players. In view of his tantrums, I would like to see Arnie depart WHU as soon as possible. If he stays, we will see the same pattern repeated in the summer and in other windows and the Club will continue to be held to ransom.
  • Aslef personally I think there are many factors, but when you’ve played international football and been a decent player in the PL at the age of 29 I’m not sure you go to China to “win trophies” at 34 maybe.....

He should already be set for life, numerous signing on fees at 10% and money for that leech of a bother. But obviously he isn’t, and that’s up to him, but try and act in a dignified manner, let’s not try and mug the club, manager and fans off eh?

I can tell you now, this has got me way more angry than the Payet situation, and Arnie can’t match what Payet did for us.
  • edited January 2019
    Pengeman

Nothing I have read suggests that the squad would have any problem with Arnie if he stays, and if he does the business on the pitch nor will most fans, I would imagine.

He's the best forward we've had in years, and I would be much happier seeing hi play the rest of this season with us. We're a far more dangerous attacking unit with him on the pitch.

I don't really get why so many fans seem to be taking it so personally. The club would axe or sell any player in a heartbeat if it suited them, and it wouldn't matter how much the player wanted to stay. Not sure why players should be any different.

As ASLEF has pointed out, Arnie trained all week, but Pelle chose not to use him. Not sure why that paints Arnie in such a bad light. No one is having a go at Perez for not making the 18...
  • I don't remember all this hate for Vaz Te when he put in a transfer request.
  • Well we’ll see what happens when he doesn’t get his move & how he applies himself for the rest of the season...
  • edited January 2019
    MrsGrey, from wiki:

RVT: "The statistics are evident to all but, despite this, it has been made obvious to myself and my representatives that I am not in the manager's plans. Therefore, it is with a heavy heart that I submit a transfer request and look to join a club where my approach to the game will be appreciated."

Not exactly the same situation as Arnautovic.
  • If he’d come out and said that he’d never really had thought to leave but the money is ridiculous and he just couldn’t turn it down then I think people would have more sympathy. However his brother said that Arnie wants to win trophies and they felt this was too good an opportunity.
    Unless I’m mistaken the Chinese super league is hardly worthy of the name at the current time so why not get a move to Leyton orient who currently seem likely to win the national league and he’d get a medal.
  • Pengeman said:

In view of his tantrums, I would like to see Arnie depart WHU as soon as possible. If he stays, we will see the same pattern repeated in the summer and in other windows and the Club will continue to be held to ransom.

What tantrums? Being annoyed when substituted against Birmingham?
  • But obviously he isn’t, and that’s up to him, but try and act in a dignified manner, let’s not try and mug the club, manager and fans off eh?

How has he tried to mug anyone off? He trained all week but the manager decided to leave him out of the squad.
  • edited January 2019
    Bubbles.

I know his motives were different.

He wanted to be 'first name on the teamsheet', rather than stay and play a back-up role (which was still nevertheless essential to our squad, providing quality cover for injuries and enabling rotation of players, esp in Cup games, that would help maximise our performance over a season). So his wishing to break his contract was still going to have a negative effect on the club.

Also, another thing that makes it not the same situation - Vaz Te asked to move. Arnie has only responded to (as far as we know, unsolicited) outside interest.

Is that why the difference, though ... people don't like the idea of Arnie moving to earn more money? ;hmm