The Arnie situation - one thread to rule them all...

Comments

• And £60m for Oscar in December 2016.

It worked. Before Shanghai won the Super League last year Guangzhou Evergrande were champions seven seasons in a row.

And they say the Premier League is uncompetitive...
  • MrsGrey said:

I suppose that's why they are trying to keep transfer fees down but boost the wages part of the deal....

... wages for foreign players are exempt from the new salary cap that's coming in.
  • IronHerb said:

I've read Stoke get 20% of the value above the £20m we paid for him.

https://www.claretandhugh.info/marko-sell-on-clause-details-revealed/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

#justsayin ;whistle
  • ;lol

They didn't need to talk to a Stoke 'insider'. It was reported yesterday on a blog https://westham.vitalfootball.co.uk/west-ham-set-to-complete-35m-plus-transfer-before-bournemouth-game/
  • I get a feeling he is going to end up staying I can’t see the Chinese upping their offer to £50m with the 100% tax it’s going to cost too much. I think it’s probably his brother trying to get a pay increase . It’s all getting a bit boring now ;lol
  • Odds on Arnie getting a new 5-year deal in the next two weeks?
  • I hope you're right PLF but not only did he wave goodbye he also had his two daughters as mascots at the start of the game. Mind, I would like to see Gomez and Arnie leading our line. ;wahoo
  • Herb
    One can but dream..... oh wait a minute ;biggrin
  • Just like my jeans they fade and dye? ;hmm

jeans
  • edited January 2019
    Arnie can go if the price is right

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46913367
  • If payet goes will dislike him even more as his reasons for leaving us was to be back in France
  • Not to defend Payet, but wasn’t his reason that he had marriage troubles and wanted to go back to France? If those troubles aren’t there anymore and he goes to China for 18 months and retires then he gets to retire into the sun.
  • Nobes in the Standard on the Arnie situation
    If Marko had received an offer to go to Everton or Arsenal for an extra 10 or 15 grand a week, I would have said, “Come on mate, stay.”

I am also pretty sure he would have agreed with me. Four times your wages, though? Tax free? That’s life changing.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/westham/west-ham-want-marko-arnautovic-to-stay-but-china-transfer-would-be-life-changing-says-mark-noble-a4042876.html
  • Ok his gone...

If the club captain is making such statement to the press.
  • Not in the squad tomorrow
  • Love Nobes but if he doesn’t think 50-100k a week already isn’t life changing then there is something wrong somewhere
  • BREAKING: Marko Arnautovic out of West Ham squad to face Bournemouth tomorrow. He had not been part of pattern-of-play training, but was due to be on the bench. Won't happen now. More on
  • Love Nobes but if he doesn’t think 50-100k a week already isn’t life changing then there is something wrong somewhere

This
  • Alternately, would you move to China for four years for £100000 per week extra, doing the same job you are now?

I would.
  • Probably. But 50k a week is still life changing imo
  • Yeah, but he's already on x amount. So that's his life.

Times that by 4, and it's life changing (given his starting point).

• Earning £50--£100 per day, and yes I can understand the sentiment. A lot of people are struggling. I`m struggling, and would jump at the chance to double my daily/weekly income. However, doubling your income from £100,000 PER WEEK to £200,000 PER WEEK to most people is meaningless. I couldn`t spend £100,000 PER WEEK, so doubling that to £200,000 PER WEEK is neither here nor there. Demanding £200,000 per week, rather than £100,000 per week, is nothing more than pure, unadulterated, vomit inducing greed (imo).
  • Demanding £200,000 per week, rather than £100,000 per week, is nothing more than pure, unadulterated, vomit inducing greed (imo).

He isn't demanding anything, he's being offered more than he is currently earning to move to China.
  • £100000 a week is hard for most of us to even imagine, because we earn nowhere near that amount. I wouldn’t even know where to spend that kind of money.

However, £100000 a week is incredibly easy for Marko Arnautovic to imagine.
  • If Marky Mark is correct, he is actually being offered 4 times his current salary, tax free.

Here, footballers are paying 45% tax on their earnings.

Imagining he is on £100k a week, that is £5.2m a year - clearly an unimaginable sum of money for most of us.

But he is likely only seeing half of that, once he has paid taxes, his brother etc.

Call it clearing £2.5m.

Over 3 years, £7.5m, compared to £60m if he went to China.

You can consider them both obscene amounts of money to pay anyone, but you can't ignore the fact that it is a massive difference.

• Sorry Aslef, I was talking generally. But I think he would stay with us if we gave him £200,000 per week, I.E. money is the driver. By default he is asking for £200,000 per week to continue to play football, or at the very least, more than he is currently on. I personally think these are obscene amounts of money and it makes my blood boil. Past a certain point (no I don`t know what that point is) what difference does it make, £100,000 per week, £200,000, £300,000. All far more than is necessary to live a little immodestly.
  • Get rid of Perez and 1 other, and pay Arnie that on top of what he earns then, after all most of our players have agreed that him staying only helps our team....
  • Feel that whole they make enough money is a moot point as it's all relative

If someone makes £20 a day and gets offered £80 a day for the same job they will take it

If someone makes £25k a year and gets offered £100k year they'll take it...

If someone makes £250k/year and if offered £1m/year they'll take it...

If a guy makes £50 million a year and is offered £200 million a year they will take it...

If a guy makes £25 billion and get suffered £100 billion, they will take it

He is an foreigner to this country who has never quite made the big time (i.e. title winning) who is in the prime of his career with arguably 1 more big contract left, why should he feel like he owes us...arguably we owe him as he almost single handedly kept us up last year

All well and good saying he should be going for legit trophies but as far as I'm aware no one has actually shown any genuine interest in him
  • Footballers' wages are what the market will support, its free market capitalism. Compared to most people they earn massive amounts of money while compared to others (Richard Branson, Steve Zuckerberg, Bill Gates) they earn very little.

Arnie is not asking for £200k or anything else by default, Shanghai are offering him a deal he knows he won't get at West Ham or anywhere else.
  • Noble makes another good point. Why would Arnie not do it? He's played for West Ham for 18 months. He doesn't have any affiliation with the club.

He's being offered two different jobs, and one of them pays 4 times the other one, tax free.

If you subtract the West Ham element, who here could honestly say they would choose to play for Club A in England over Club B in China, when you have no emotional connection with either, when the latter would offer so much more money? Especially at the latter end of your career.

I think there's also a misguided assumption that footballers have to love football. They don't always. Sometimes it's just a job. Maybe Arnie is one of those. He never seems to be having much fun, anyway.