January Transfer Window 2019

Comments

• Well perhaps Noble should do something about it. He was culpable for the first goal but has got away with it.
  • Has he? I thought the whole team were an absolute shambles
  • I don’t think anyone came out with any credit to be honest
  • I agree Cuz but some seem to have come out with less than others.
  • IronHerb said:

We are two points off seventh, with fifteen games to go, even after giving everyone a four game start. We have much the same squad available to us now but it's going to be a struggle to take seventh spot. Why? ;hmm

Because we've had three chances already this season to go 7th and we blew them all. Lost the three games to nil. That to me suggests the current squad aren't good enough to get and maintain the position.

A couple of players in that could help keep the ball out of our net and put it in the opponents would surely help our cause.

I do take Alderz's point that this is a transition season, but even though we had a terrible start and have been as inconsistent as ever, 7th place and a potential spot in the Europa League is still achievable, but if we really want it (and I know some on here don't) then I think we need to bring in reinforcements ;ok
  • edited January 2019
    Pellegrini hasn’t come here to finish top 10. I don’t imagine he’ll be here much longer than his initial contract if we are finishing around mid table & struggling to compete in the cups by the end of it. The bloke all but retired a year ago. He will see himself as failing to achieve what he aimed to. Granted he still has two seasons after this.
  • Loans, possible couple of loans and that could be it....

We never spend much in Jan, never have under this lot no matter what the situation, already in top 6 and could go for it, relegation threatened or mid table and hoping to sneak into Europe

Hope MP has a decent clear out in the summer and puts more of his stamp on it, next year is the one for me
  • edited January 2019
    Obiang & Masuaku for me need to be moved on now. Had plenty of time here to impress & other than flashes here & there have fallen short. I think Diangana needs a loan in the Championship. Hoping Fredericks can get some consistency to match his potential & then maybe a bit of cash needs to be spent on the central position next to Rice, with another striker signed to either partner Arnie or replace him. Can’t see Perez or Carroll being here in the summer & possibly Hernandez.

With Yarmo, Lanzini, Anderson, Nasri, Antonio & hopefully Wilshere, we don’t need much in that area. So bit of cash spent on a decent CB, CM & a couple of forwards. Has to be a focus on quality.
  • This month, UEFA published their latest European Club Benchmark Report. The wage bill slide...

Palace and Southampton don't seem to be getting much bang for their money..

Spurs has the lowest % of their rev..

Dx_-nNcWwAEs7ak
  • I'm looking at our squad and actually I feel a bit nervous about the summer.

Realistically, there are (I think) 11 players that are either out of contract or have a possible need to be replaced.

Adrian, Zabaleta, Reid, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Obiang, Sanchez, Nasri, Hernandez, Carroll, Perez.

It's not so much that I don't think those players "can't" be replaced, but it's more that there is a big turnover if that happens.

Take Adrian, for example. Do you try and sign a #1 or do you sign a backup? If you're looking for a backup are they going to be better than Adrian? I highly doubt it.

Take Reid and Ogbonna. Realistically, Diop will be a starter. So you're looking for either two backups, or you're looking for a starter and making Balbuena a backup.

I'm concerned about how we replace backups with better quality. I think it's likely that we'll end up trying to keep hold of the likes of Sanchez, Ogbonna, Masuaku, Nasri & Zabaleta as we can't realistically replace them with starters.
  • edited January 2019
    The only nailed starter for next season is Rice / Anderson. (barring injury) everyone else. I expect he club could find replacements in the summer for all other positions that are better than their current parts. Of course it isn't going to happen but I don't see any reason why the likes of Ogbonna / Obiang / Masuaku cannot be sold and replaced with better and competing for the #1 spot in the side for that position.
  • I think Xande Silva will be one of our forwards next season, rather than a youth player. He can replace Perez.
  • We're not going to get a better keeper than Fabianski so we're either looking for a young keeper who can eventually replace him, an old keeper looking for somewhere to drift into retirement or a keeper with the patience of a Buddhist monk.
  • Jack Butland from Stoke was being touted, fills an English spot, still a decent keeper in my view. Still young.
  • He was around £30 m in the summer
  • Burnley have 3 keepers,1 too many i'm thinking, if becomes available i'd take Pope as an option, def not Hart!....
  • jay, don't think you are allowed to say Hart on here . ;doh just did myself
  • Hot potato, orchestra stalls, Puck will make amends.
  • Herb

I've moved your pic and comment to the Wolves thread.
  • We won't, but desperately need a LB and a CB in the next 48 hours...
  • After tonight I think we may need to rethink the transfer plans before Thursday, unless the rumours on SSN are to be believed?
  • We may need a striker after all, Arnie injured?
  • Fear not, the board are meeting today to discuss transfer targets to acquire by tomorrow.

What could possibly go wrong.
  • Roger Johnson.. ;wahoo
  • Ricardo Vaz Te is back in training with the under 23s according to Ex on Twitter.
  • edited January 2019
    An obscure South American striker on loan!

Ah, the memories.
  • SKY Breaking News is that we are close to signing Maxi Gomez.
  • edited January 2019
    https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11622267/west-ham-set-to-sign-celta-vigo-striker-maxi-gomez

Beat me to it IronHerb this is the sort signing that gives me hope we can progress young highly rated and knows where the goal is ;biggrin
  • Ex claiming that we're discussing loaning Cahill, Drinkwater and Giroud from Chelsea.

Then tweeting then Drinkwater is unlikely.
  • loaning 3 players from one club is that even allowed ?
This discussion has been closed.