January Transfer Window 2019

Comments

• Yes, I read that they have put their house up for sale as well so certainly looking that way.
  • edited January 2019
    BBC reporting that we are considering paying Maxi Gomez's releast clause, £43.3m ;nonono

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47006168
  • Could tie in with Arnie's Instagram story...
  • Having watched Maxi Gomez on Youtube (I know) all I can say is, yes please. Seems to have everything you would want in a striker. ;wahoo ;footie
  • Tomw85 said:

Yes, I read that they have put their house up for sale as well so certainly looking that way.

I'm not sure that I'll be bidding for the house but I would be very interested in the replica Angel of the North to stand in front of the the gazebo in my allotment.

• Does this mean the transfer window that has been a virtual snooze fest is actually going to wake up? ;whistle
  • Close to signing Gomez according to Sky Sources.
  • Could be a good bit of business that. Sign him with a (relatively) small deposit and a promise of the rest in the summer (when Arnie goes) and the sweetener of letting Celta keep him for the rest of the season.

Arnie stays til the summer, and then we have a replacement to come straight in in June.
  • If we are triggering the release clause, it makes no sense to loan him back for the rest of the season.

What Celta want is irrelevant once the release clause is triggered.

Unless we are trying to get him for a few million less, and are sweetening it by offering to let him stay there. But I'd rather we pay the release clause and have him now, to be honest.

A bit odd at the moment.
  • edited January 2019
    I suspect if anything we're getting Celta to agree to us triggering the clause in the summer, with the understanding that Gomez will stay to help them fight relegation and the club getting a percentage of the money now to maybe help them buy someone else to help their cause.

Win win, in many respects.

If someone else triggered it and insisted that Gomez join straight away, Celta have lost their best player at a time they need him the most with no guarantee of being able to find a suitable replacement, even with £43m in their pocket.
  • edited January 2019
    Keeps his wages off the books for a while (until AC leaves) - FFP?
  • edited January 2019
    And maybe we can't afford to buy him now, in terms of available cash and how close we are to our FFP wage limit (don't forget we've recently added Nasri's reported £80k a week to the wage bill)

Come the summer, when Carroll, Perez and (probably) Arnie are gone that problem goes away.
  • OCS,

Sorry, still makes no sense to me ;hmm

Once the clause is triggered, Celta are out of the equation. It isn't up to them to decide whether to accept or not, or to make demands, or to defer until the summer.

My understanding is that the clause means the club are obligated to sell if personal terms are agreed.
  • If we are triggering the release clause, it makes no sense to loan him back for the rest of the season.

What Celta want is irrelevant once the release clause is triggered.

Unless we are trying to get him for a few million less, and are sweetening it by offering to let him stay there. But I'd rather we pay the release clause and have him now, to be honest.

A bit odd at the moment.

I agree. The only reason could be we’re arranging a lay-away payment schedule. Deposit down now and pay the rest in the summer once we get more funds.
    Also, means we don’t pay his wages until we get AC off our wage bill.
  • MIAHammer said:

I agree. The only reason could be ...

Well, it's ONE reason, but as you say - our wage bill/FFP could be an issue. So it's not the ONLY reason.
  • edited January 2019

OCS,

Sorry, still makes no sense to me ;hmm

Once the clause is triggered, Celta are out of the equation. It isn't up to them to decide whether to accept or not, or to make demands, or to defer until the summer.

My understanding is that the clause means the club are obligated to sell if personal terms are agreed.

Yes, but my point is that we can't afford to meet the clause at the moment. So maybe we're looking at getting Celta to agree to sell him to us for, I don't know, £10 less than his clause, on the understanding that we pay the majority of the money in the summer and we let him stay there for the rest of the season. That way it's mutually beneficial; we get our man to replace Arnie in the summer, Celta get the money to reinvest in improving their squad and get to keep the player that could be the difference between relegation or staying up.

Of course, the problem could then arise of another team meeting the clause in the meantime and Celta being forced to sell to them ;hmm
  • If we sign him I will be delighted as this is progressive for our club.
  • Cedric (RB from Southampton) has been signed on loan by Inter Milan.

Reminds me of Faubert to Real Madrid!
  • OCS, I was just thinking that maybe Celta are prepared to sell him for less than the release clause amount (I don't know how desperate they might be, or what their situation is), or will sell him cheap for a quick sale, but it's a sale with strings attached ;ok

(re. being gazumped. If it's signed as a deal now, I don't think we could be gazumped between now and the summer. If that's what you meant?)
  • Mrs G ;ok

I was thinking if we're still at the talking stage with Celta and nothing is signed, if another team (for arguments sake, Barca) offers the release clause value tonight, then Celta are obliged to accept the offer.
  • Mrs G ;ok

I was thinking if we're still at the talking stage with Celta and nothing is signed, if another team (for arguments sake, Barca) offers the release clause value tonight, then Celta are obliged to accept the offer.

We could then gazump them. I’m sure Barca would be scared off.
  • I agree. You dont see us buying Kevin Prince Boateng ;wink They've got too many high earners currently.

Was that convincing enough ;hmm

#come n 'ave a go if you think you're 'ard enough
  • Oxford wanted by forest and Frankfurt he ain’t getting a look in so I’d take the offer of a fee allegedly 8 million if true
  • With a % sell on profit clause ...
  • edited January 2019
    Transfers we need

New GK (Move Adrian on)
    New RB (if Zab goes)
    New LB (get Masuaku out)
    2 New CB (get Ogbonna out)
    2 New CM (Get Obiang out)
    3 Strikers (Get them all out)

10 players need shifting
  • Used to like Ogbonna, not so sure now. Big summer clear out. Still think we have a decent matchday squad when all fit, and a very good first eleven. The rest are bang average at best. ;scarf
  • Yeold

What period of time would you want to do that over? I don't necessarily disagree with much of that, but personally I'm tired of having a massive turnover constantly.

For me, the prioriy positions are left back, centre midfield and striker. That's where I want us to focus this summer
  • edited January 2019
    Think Ogbonna has been getting a little bit of unfair criticism (Not referring to u MadCap ), coming in for Balbuena he IMO had been playing pretty well, against Wimbledon, fair enough, but same could be said about ALL the other players who started that game. ;hmm
  • Not sure we can avoid that Alderz. Carroll, Perez, Hernandez and Arnautovic could all be gone in the summer, so our whole forward line could need replacing. Obiang wants out so will need replacing. Masuaku is proving week after week that he's not a left back so will need replacing. Zab is out of contract so will need replacing (assuming we don't give him a new deal). Adrian is likely to go IMO, so will need replacing.

That's eight players that are currently match-day squad players. They're regularly in the 18 and if they go then they'll need to be replaced.

Not particularly a fan of such an overhaul, but I fear it'll be necessary.

• Never rated Ogbonna, has being bang average imo.

Alderz I don't think we have much time to spread it out.

Adrian - out of contract
    Carroll - out of contract
    Zabaleta - out of contract

Obiang / Ogbonna - need to spend big bucks on a CM regardless. With Reid seemingly Perma crocked CB needs to be addressed.

Strikers - need to be addressed when 1 is out of contract and 2 want away.
This discussion has been closed.