January Transfer Window 2019

Comments

• Lets not forget to boot we still have the likes of Byram / Hugill / Fernandes (who supposedly wants to remain in Italy) and others chugging on the wages.
  • Priority for me (as in big money) is a new CM and a striker

New backup LB is needed, not sure if Neuville is ready to deputies in the EPL yet

New CB

New backup striker (providing Carroll, Hernandez & Lucas leave)

Unless Anang/Trott are ready we are likely to bring in a new GK

Renew Zabs contract for another year and give Fredericks a chance to show what he did for Fulham
  • Forest and Frankfurt after Reece Oxford for 8M
  • I think we need to keep Zabaleta.
  • I agree Zabaleta reminds me of Collins always gives a 100% and has the right attitude In every game
  • If never even crossed my mind that Zabaleta would leave this summer. We will definitely want to keep him and I assume he’s still wanting to carry on considering he’s playing regularly.
  • Fernandes (who supposedly wants to remain in Italy)

He might want to stay in Italy but Fiorentina won't be buying him.

• Lets not forget to boot we still have the likes of Byram / Hugill / Fernandes (who supposedly wants to remain in Italy) and others chugging on the wages.

Aren't they on loan? Doesn't that mean they're chugging on someone else's wages?
  • I really doubt the clubs they are loaned to are paying all their wages.
  • edited January 2019
    just saw Pelle's comments confirming what he has previously said about Reece Oxford in the press conference. It amounts to - he needs to improve to be good enough for the first team, and he won't do that without regular games. ergo, he needs to go somewhere he can get games, be it a loan or permanent. So that's ;wave
  • Sky Sources say we want John Fleck from Sheffield United. Seems extremely unlikely to me but what do I know? Fleck has been a favourite of mine on Football Manager for the past 10 years, and was a key member of my Lens side that won Ligue 1 a few years ago (playing alongside Kevin Nolan ;bowdown ).

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/12691/11620511/west-ham-keen-on-4m-deal-for-john-fleck
  • From the BBC -

13:43
    No new arrivals for Hammers
    Wolves v West Ham (Tues, 19:45 GMT)

West Ham United

Manuel Pellegrini said that West Ham won't be making any new signings in January, adding: "We have injured players coming back and they will help us in some positions."

• Classic FM wonderkid is Fleck

So he's a CM who won Sheffield United player of the year last season for only £4mil

Seems like a low cost deal that will help out our miserable depth at CM although still a short term solution
  • Also reported that the Gomez transfer is going nowhere because he wants to see if anybody better comes in for him in the summer. He must have looked to see who Wimbledon were and if they were PL champions.
  • Whilst st the same time SSN reporting that the deal could be done in the next 24 hours.
  • John Flecks dad was class...but we signed Dale Gordon
  • Pelle said in his press conference there will be no new signings.
  • 12th place it is then.

Next level ;wahoo

Don't go to bed early then. ;whistle
  • I really doubt the clubs they are loaned to are paying all their wages.

And yet very time we get a player on loan, it’s argued that we’re paying their wages. Explain your reasoning why you think we’ve loaned out a player on the condition that we’re paying their wages.

Just seen the quote. Basically no new signings required because we have players coming back from injury ;hmm

Lanzini and Balbuena still a month away, Wilshere longer still, Reid, who knows. Yarmo and Sanchez out for the season.

Granted, we've got enough in the squad to bimble along in mid-table, but what a waste of a season. 7th is achievable (Wolves, Watford, Everton and Leicester are our rivals for it and none seem too keen on making it theirs) so I'd like to see us give it a go, but we're a couple of players away from that, IMO.
  • Might need to offload some high earners before we can sign anyone I thought we were up to the ffp salary limit ;hmm
  • I agree with leaving it until summer now unless of course the Gomez deal is a possibility. We have little to play for after Saturday and the big question is will it be 7th or 13th? Quite frankly we wont be getting an open topped bus for 7th so I would be happy to go into the market in the summer with a more coherent transfer strategy. This window is to put out a fire or make a last push to bring something home, and we are at risk of neither.

I think we can finish around 9th and if so we can say we are most certainly heading in the right direction, which should help us retain our best and attract some potential targets in the summer.
  • This season, IMO, is a transition season into a new way of playing. I still believe top 10 is a successful year with an assault on the top 6/7 next season.
  • Reid is not the way ahead
  • edited January 2019
    alderz said:

This season, IMO, is a transition season into a new way of playing. I still believe top 10 is a successful year with an assault on the top 6/7 next season.

For sure. If the board/manager are taking a long-term view (thinking about the ‘project’ that teams like to talk about), that’s a good thing. Rather than settling for someone in this window, who isn’t our first-choice target or a stop-gap.
  • We are two points off seventh, with fifteen games to go, even after giving everyone a four game start. We have much the same squad available to us now but it's going to be a struggle to take seventh spot. Why? ;hmm
  • Maybe because we seem incapable of winning against teams who are around us or to put it in Noble’s terms, we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot.
This discussion has been closed.