World Cup Last 16 and onwards (excluding England matches)

Comments

• What do others think about the Russian penalty, for me it was a pen as the ball appeared goalbound and obviously his raised arm deflected it, however it is harsh to call it deliberate as he had no idea as to the flight of the ball.

Is there room in the rules for a penalty to be awarded but no yellow card, assuming that is that he was not carded for protesting.
  • Russia equalize and suddenly Spain has a bit more urgency.
  • chicago

I was dubious at first, but on second look I think his arm is intentionally left up there. If it had just been part of his jumping action, it should have been coming down.

• It actually looks like his arm was coming down and he raised it again when it went past him. So not sure it was an accident at all.

• Is there room in the rules for a penalty to be awarded but no yellow card, assuming that is that he was not carded for protesting.

To me it looked like he was booked for protesting too much.
  • I do like the look of the Russian Fernandes. We should look at him. Could be a realistic target for us.
  • edited July 2018
    Pique knew exactly what he was doing. He panicked because he couldn't defend it and then put his arm up in the hope that if it hit his arm, he could claim it was accidental. Penalty all day for me.
  • Clearcut penalty.
  • It's rather dull watching Spain. For all their skill and movement it just makes for a dull way to play football.
  • If it stays like like this and goes to extra time, will Russia bring Dzyuba back on as their 4th sub in case it goes to penalties?
  • I’ve been watching bits of this game and Smolov seems to have a terrible touch. He’s messed up a few times. Weren’t we linked with him?
  • Spain look bereft of ideas. Their body language looks poor.
  • Could this be a repeat of 2002 where Spain went out to the hosts on penalties?
  • Spain deserve it more now.
  • Penalties!
  • I wonder if it's a first that a host nation starts a knockout game with the sole intention of lasting for two hours to get to penalties. The way they celebrated at the final whistle would suggest they did.
  • Boring game...

W ews playing a game predict a backward or sideways pass...
  • Spain miss!
  • Russia lead 3-2 after 6 pens
  • Russia lead 4-3 after 8 pens
  • Spain out!
  • Penalties are great when you don’t care about the outcome ;wahoo

#scenes
  • Spain are out ;wahoo
  • Wow. No plan B for Spain
  • So our side of the draw.... ;nonono

Come on England....
  • Fabregas looks happy. ;whistle
  • I actually enjoyed the game, Spain clearly the better technical side so Russia had to plan accordingly, a few tussles at corners that were suspect but they gave everything and I thought the game was essentially honest with little gamesmanship or playacting.

I am pleased for Russia, from what I can see they have put on a tremendous tournament with no reports of any sort of significant issue, the stadiums look fabulous, the crowds all look like they having a ball and given the distances involved, so many fans have been able to criss cross the country without incident or trouble.

This result is truly amazing for Russia, makes all the work involved worthwhile and is going to give them a real lift and a lasting memory.

As for us, “the games afoot, follow thy spirit and upon this day, cry God, for Harry and St George!!

Go for it England

• To bad when only one team comes to play and loose ;nonono
  • So happy spain lost

I thought they were awful

They kept posession but literally moved it at a snails pace

Russia were never gonna compete man for man, and after 60 mins they lacked he energy to push spain so i feel there is no shame in them going negative
  • edited July 2018
    IronHerb said:

Erm. Croatia anyone?

The way this World Cup is going I might have a cheeky punt on Denmark ;biggrin