World Cup Last 16 and onwards (excluding England matches)

Comments

• but I still feel it sucks life from the game when we're waiting around for them to make decisions.

I personally don't feel that's too much of an issue as it's only once or twice a match, but the fact that they're completely ignoring the wrestling that's going on makes the whole thing a bit of a joke imo.

• I don't think there have been many games where the pauses have been intrusive, except where the ref has gone to have a look at the screen, and I don't mind that, as they get the chance to feel sure they made the right decision.

• IronHerb said:

Let's buy Shaqiri quick.

Loved the first album with whenever whatever on it, but past his best now. Hips don’t lie.
  • I actually like the fact that - unlike what I saw in the Bundesliga - play often goes on while the incident is checked in the background. If everything was kosher then nobody really notices. And if there WAS an incident then the referee blows up and we continue with the penalty or whatever.

That is how VAR should be. Nevertheless all that grappling needs to stop. However, it probably won't until an England defender is judged to have tackled an opposition striker in the box with the score tied in the 98th minute.
  • For me, if the assistant on VAR is qualified to make decisions (as in, they're a ref who could potentially be on the pitch), I don't see why the ref has to go and have a look (so disrupting the game for the time) and actually make the decision. If the refs missed a pen, a goal, red card mistaken identity etc (key areas) and been alerted to it, surely (in a we're an officiating ref 'team' type of way) all he needs to do is be informed and then inform the players (depending on what the scenario is). So no real hold up takes place, just a move to a pen, kick off, free kick etc.

Maybe then, the ref on the pitch will be a little more mentally free to keep the players in check discipline wise (pushing shoving various aggro)...

• Just watched the Swiss vs Serbia game, must say that I enjoyed it, plenty of skilll and passion, not sure how Switzerland avoided a penalty when mitrovic was hauled down by two defenders - the ref even saw fit to give the free kick to switzerland.

All in all, it was good game to watch for the neutral, I worked for a Swiss company for thirteen years so I have to admit that I was routing for them.

• Baz

The VAR officials can (and do) make some of those decisions you mentioned.

Offside/not offside, and mistaken identity are, afaIk, simply accepted by the ref.

I think that in matters of judgement, like penalty or red card, it is important to leave that in the hands of the on field ref.

• edited June 2018
    grey,

Infantino went on record as saying VAR was there to ensure more decisions were made correctly and thus reducing errors in matches. Surely Serbia should have had a penalty last night which the Ref decided was a foul the other way!
  • Fortune

I'm not disagreeing. I'm simply suggesting that VAR not bringing 'grappling' to the ref's attention is a policy decision, not that it is the right one.

My point about the penalty being the ref's decision referred to VAR alerting the ref, but the ref getting the final say, rather than being told by VAR 'give that as a pen'.
  • grey,

;ok

Yes it appears to be one of the main areas that they don't deem necessary to bring to the Ref's attention as there have been a lot of cases that have gone unpunished.
  • My point was purely about hold ups or potential hold ups in the game. If the more important decisions are decided by an off field VAR ref then the on field one doesnt need to waste time watch a playback and making a decision while the players twiddle thumbs. Thats all ;thumbsup
  • Baz

Fair enough.

As I said, for me, questions of judgement should be down to the on-field ref.
  • Is Dowie on drugs?
  • Chicharito looked so happy when the anthems stopped. You could tell how eager he was.

On the other hand - how happy will Lanzini be about his "get out of jail free" card. The Argies are awful and should go out at the first hurdle.
  • Nothing will change
    It’s the VAR = video assistant referee,
    Change the name to
    sitnsu=Stop it does not suit us
    ;biggrin
  • LITTLE PEEEEEEEEA. ;wahoo ;wahoo ;wahoo

Mexico 2nil up
  • Super goal. ;biggrin
  • We have to keep this guy will always get goals ;wahoo
  • Lozano looks quality.
  • I wonder if VAR reviewed the lead up to that goal? It looked like Mexico took possession with a foul.
  • Huh ................ were they singing bubbles in the Mexico game ;puzzled
  • That Pablo Barrera looks good for Mexico
  • He's done nothing all game and then costs me a point! ;angry
  • He's done nothing all game and then gets me 2 points! ;wahoo
  • I really like that Mexico shirt.
  • Just imagine if it were light blue and the hoops were claret. Aaaah! ;biggrin
  • Come on Sweden ;pray
  • IronHerb said:

Just imagine if it were light blue and the hoops were claret. Aaaah! ;biggrin

All they need to do is swap the green for sky blue ;ok
  • edited June 2018
    Just sat down to watch Germany v Sweden.
    Tonight I am known as Sven.....
    Come on Sweden!!!!
  • Sweden should just have had a pen ;angry