World Cup Last 16 and onwards (excluding England matches)

Comments

• edited June 2018
    I'll bear that in mind when I do my next prediction ;biggrin
  • Your welcome.
  • Although I did get it spot on today ;wink
  • Oh go on, rub it in. ;biggrin
  • ;lol It's a rare occurence, so I'm making the most of it.
  • West Ham link to all 3 on BBC...
  • Gary lineker... The stadium is closer to Amsterdam than Moscow... Which is the closest the Dutch will get to the world cup.... ;bowdown
  • In the studio and on Comms I think this the best BBC line up....

What do you think, what is the dream team for the Beeb...?
  • edited June 2018
    Well Jenas isn't there so its a good start. Lampard and Ferdinand are pretty good but they could probably do with a manager. Slav (I know ITV) would make it the dream team for me.
  • How is that not a penalty against Switzerland? Unbelievable.
  • VAR has worked really well so far with the exception of the wrestling players to the floor incidents. Strange.
  • edited June 2018
    There have been many of those. We were just saying that it is clearly a decision by the refs to not clamp down at all on that sort of holding. Which is why the VArefs aren't picking it up either. It's like a policy.
  • So is the rule the VAR guys in the studio cant do anything unless the Ref asks?.

It was a 100% pen...
  • It is odd, Herb, but it's clearly a policy decision.

Hopefully, in the future, they will use VAR to help punish it.
  • No. I believe the VAR refs can ask the match ref to have a look at an incident he may of missed or possibly got wrong but it's still his call after he has seen it on the screen.
  • The thing is VAR is going to look at different things in each country, so there will never be a set standard for everyone.
  • Let's buy Shaqiri quick.
  • Herb

Yes, they can, which is why I suggested it was a policy decision.

There have been so many incidents, they can't have missed them all. They must be choosing not to consider them.
  • I said quick.
  • Herb.. ;ok

So yeah FIFA and WWE must be merging... strange.. clear pen.
  • I don't want him at West Ham, he's just cost me 2 points!!! ;angry
  • The thing is VAR is going to look at different things in each country, so there will never be a set standard for everyone.

Just like on-field refereeing.
  • So is the rule the VAR guys in the studio cant do anything unless the Ref asks?.

It was a 100% pen...

No, if it's a factual thing, eg offside, the VAR tells the on field ref and he goes by that fact.

Where it's a judgement call, eg deliberate handball, if the VAR thinks that the ref could have missed something, they alert him and he reviews the video pitch side before giving a final decision.
  • When can Video Assistant Referees intervene?

Only when the on-field officials have made a “clear and obvious” error in one of four key areas: goals, straight red card, penalties and mistaken identity. Football’s lawmakers have restricted its introduction to those match-changing incidents in order to limit disruption to the flow of the game. That could change in the future if stakeholders demand it.
  • Me too Preston. ;angry

But I still want him.
  • The last two games, this one and the game against Brazil show the best and worst of Shaqiri. The thing is you will see far more of the Brazil Shaqiri than the Serbia Shaqiri, imo.
  • It's not logical but I still hate VAR. It's resulted in some correct calls being made that otherwise wouldn't but I still feel it sucks life from the game when we're waiting around for them to make decisions.