2018-19 Pre-season: training camps and matches etc (West Ham)

Comments

• we're at the end of pre-season now though. 2 more pre-season games before Liverpool then that's it I believe.

Despite most of our players not being at the world cup, doesn't feel like we have had a long pre-season.
  • a bit ;hmm when looking at other teams pre-seasons, all the top teams seem to be bang on it, where as teams outside the top 6 having a bit of a topsy turvy pre-season. I do wonder whether this season the gap between the top 6 and the rest will grow further again.
  • Id say weve had a longer preseason(with our first teamer) than most of the other teams

Dont know much about mainz and Angers but they are in top leagues

Would like for us to play at intensity....because there is no point playing at 80% as liverpool will play like the red arrows...they battered a (young) United the other day. Weve done well but we havent played at that sort of intesity as them
  • Wouldn't worry about Liverpool's pre-season results. ;ok
  • edited July 2018
    ;hmm I'm not sure the top 6 are 'bang on it' (although it wouldnt surprise me if they eventually draw further away anyway - Of course we will follow them ;wink )

I'd say Man Utds pre-season is hardly going swimmingly. Jose's already moaning and criticizing Valencia and Martial (2 of the few first teamers who were actually on tour at some point). He seems to be begging Lukaku, Pogba, Lingard and co to come back to training early as well. Theyve only notably signed Fred who basically will replace Carrick and the injured Matic

Man City and Spurs have a massive amount of their squad still on holiday. I think it'll affect Spurs more in the short term though as City have loads of options.

Chelsea are pretty much up in the air and in transition

Arsenal are also under a new manager with new players but seem to actually be shaping up well.

Liverpool are the only team who are really set. Outside of Firmino's class, they arer't missing anyone who can't be easily replaced
  • We had one of the earliest starts to preseason and we will have played more games than most.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44805989
  • I dont think fitness should be an issue. I'd say adapting to the new system and integrating 7 new signings will be more tricky. That said, I like all of our signings and dont think it'll take long.
  • edited July 2018
    From what Pelle said, these last two games, and the Angers one in particular, should be more like the side that will face Liverpool.
  • edited July 2018
    In other pre-season news, I noticed a lot of Everton fans on social media in meltdown over their pre-season results. Their last two games have ended in 3-0 & 4-1 losses to Blackburn & Stade Rennais respectively. ;lol

Funny how pre-season can get to people so much.
  • From Adam's link above I noticed an interesting fixture:
    14 July: Accrington Stanley 3-0 Huddersfield (Wham Stadium)
    Were Accrington playing at The London Stadium?

;yercoat
  • Also interesting that after their 22-0 romp in Austria (against some goatherds apparently) Everton have only scored twice in 5 matches ...
  • Lukerz said:

In other pre-season news, I noticed a lot of Everton fans on social media in meltdown over their pre-season results. Their last two games have ended in 3-0 & 4-1 losses to Blackburn & Stade Rennais respectively. ;lol

Funny how pre-season can get to people so much.

I made sure they'd falter by having 3 of them in my fantasy team. That way we'd beat them to 7th and once again have a taste of Europe (more than a mouthful this time!)

# you're welcome
  • Dodger58 said:

Also interesting that after their 22-0 romp in Austria (against some goatherds apparently) Everton have only scored twice in 5 matches ...

See if I'd been in charge I'd have stopped at 10. No need for that embarrassment against park players.

Although why the game was even played is a mystery.
  • Come on Rocky, you only included 3 Everton players so you could transfer them out. ;wink
  • Many years ago for a Billericay U13 side I think it was, we lost 21-0 to another team in a league match and had them the following week in a Cup match. After going 1-0 down inside 5 minutes things didn't look good - we ended up winning 22-1, so all even on aggregate score at 22-22!!
  • IronHerb said:

Come on Rocky, you only included 3 Everton players so you could transfer them out. ;wink

# busted ;puzzled ;whome
  • Looks like there may be a stream for this. Had a quick look. Mainz seem to be steaming it on YouTube and the West Ham Facebook page has made some noise about ‘planning to go live’.
  • It's being broadcast on Sport TV2 (Portugal) and Fox 4 (Nederlands) and ESPN 3 USA.

I'll post up a streams thread a bit later.
  • edited July 2018
    grey ;ok

Wonder if we'll see Cresswell today. Nothing on him for ages other than news he resumed training 2 weeks ago. ;hmm

Hopefully Hernandez can get some minutes too otherwise he'll be out of contention for the bench at Liverpool.
  • Match blog thingy says Cresswell back in training, and match will be live on club FB page https://www.facebook.com/westhamunited/
  • Resting for Friday?
  • Looks like Yarmo & Anderson have been rested for the game on Friday, which will probably be our team for Liverpool. Kouyate, Cresswell & Chicharito not risked either. Maybe they'll get some minutes on Friday.
  • You would have thought that Arnie would be the one resting though??

;hmm
  • You would have thought that Arnie would be the one resting though??

;hmm

More likely as Arnie has plenty of minutes under his belt & is the only available striker.

Anderson has a half & an hour. Yarmo played the last game but missed the one before that etc. He probs wants to give Antonio & Snodgrass a final chance before bringing them back in for Friday.
  • Coverage I'MM watching has Creswell + Chica on the bench?
  • edited July 2018
    The bench on the live coverage shows a different selection of players; Hernandez, Cresswell & Kouyate are all on it.

MrsG SNAP
  • Pellegrini probably wants to see if snodgrass and Antonio can impress
  • Bit flat out there... probably not surprising given the amount of games, training sessions and travelling

That said gotta be a sharper to stand any chance against Salah fc
This discussion has been closed.