The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• edited July 2019
    And it doesn’t stop at BJ or Corbyn

We cold look at Swinson - the supposed alternative choice for disaffected lab/con voters

She who accepted donations from a fracking company yet then lines up alongside extinction rebellion :lol:

And who stood shoulder to shoulder with Gideon as austerity brought about slashes to disability payments
  • The real issue is you pay peanuts, you get monkeys.
  • edited July 2019

So let’s all side with Corbyn then?

The one who

Opposed Britain’s original membership of the European communities

Opposed Maastricht

Opposed Lisbon

Backed a referendum on a British eu withdrawal in 2011

And now would vote to remain in the EU (well that’s today’s stance anyway)

This is a man who IMO likely cares not a jot for either remain or leave. He cares only for any means of getting into Downing Street and rolling out Venezuela mark 2.

Don't assume that because people oppose Johnson they automaticlly back Corbyn. Personally I don't like or trust what I know of either of them.

I don't think there's been a single politician I've known since my Politics A level studies that I've agreed with on everything they've said or stood for; it would be almost impossible for anyone to do so. They can't be everything to everyone.

But Johnson, IMO at least, has displayed the very worst attitudes and behaviours of any 'mainstream' politician that I can remember in my adult life.
  • Corbyn must be a very balanced politician because he is always sitting on the fence and failing to make decisions. I don't think Boris is ideal for the longer term but I have some hope that Brexit will get sorted at least. Where are the good politicians?
  • Quite some statement your last paragraph, OCS. But each to their own I guess. Looks to me that regardless of what he might be able to accomplish in office, the jury of OCS has already delivered its verdict and sentenced him.

Personally I hope there are many more out there who might be sceptics but who will wait and see how this plays out.

• Vote suz

Vote :clown:

...oh people already did.
  • edited July 2019
    Yes, delivered its verdict based on his performances in his previous political offices, as that's all I have to go on.

What are your opinions of his performance as Foreign Secretary and his role in the Leave campaign?
  • baracks

I don't really understand this 'we should give him a chance' position.

In any interview for any job, past performance in similar positions is likely to be a factor. For public office, personal behaviour will also be a consideration.

I don't see how anyone could look at Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's track record, and not conclude that he is personally and politically woefully unsuited to be PM.

• Vote suz

Oh no... not a good idea.

If we're ever in a situation where I am the voice of reason then we are in a very very bad situation.

• Vote suz

Oh no... not a good idea.

If we're ever in a situation where I am the voice of reason then we are in a very very bad situation.

Too late we are way past that point now
  • Grey

But likewise what are JC’s credentials (as a leader)? Others do not see JC as the solution but from what I have read, you might?
  • Barney said:

Where are the good politicians?

• baracks

We are not required to select an alternative when explaining why Boris is not fit to govern.
  • baracks

This isn't about credentials, or about Corbyn.

It is about Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson's suitability or otherwise for the role of Prime Minister.

To my mind, he has none, and I don't see how people can look past his very public previous failings and suggest he is worth a shot.
  • On a lighter note England are currently 55 for 7 against Ireland in the first men's test match of the summer :doh:
  • It is very much about Corbyn, Grey (as you, not Suzanne asked the question). Because I don’t see how you can ask about BJ having credentials to lead the country when you appear to think JC does have such credentials (you think he gets give a rough ride unjustly)?

• edited July 2019
    baracks

I can only think you are deliberately missing the point, so don't see much point in carrying on further with this. I see no value in 'whataboutery'.
  • On a lighter note England are currently 55 for 7 against Ireland in the first men's test match of the summer :doh:

I would like to hear Ham's opinion on this
  • baracks

I can only think you are deliberately missing the point, so don't see much point in carrying on further with this. I see no value in 'whataboutery'.

Fair enough if that’s what you think :ok:

I would like to hear Ham's opinion on this
    Nah, I want to hear Grey’s
  • Not sure Grey is as into cricket as much as Ham is :hmm:
  • But it’s IRELAND !!!
  • But it's cricket.
  • But it's cricket.

Well, arguably one team is playing cricket.

Not quite sure what England are doing out there.
  • My opinion is I think there should be a separate cricket thread. Or forum :wink:
  • edited July 2019

The England cricket test team are all out before lunch on day one of the Lords test, scoring just 85 runs.

No, we are not playing Australia but Ireland, in their first test as an official test playing nation.

#embarrassing
  • From AOL

Meanwhile, on the other side of the Channel papers have also covered the new tenant at Number 10.

Danish title Politiken carries a leader column which pulls no punches, claiming that Mr Johnson – like US president Donald Trump – has “built his entire career on shameless lies and extreme self-promotion”.

Headlined “That a clown like Boris Johnson is set to become prime minister in the UK shows just how low the country has fallen since the Brexit referendum”, the column says British people deserve better leadership.

“The British people deserve much, much better political leadership than what they’ve got. And now one of the worst is becoming prime minister.

“Johnson’s victory is the epitome of injustice. It’s an obscene ascent to power.

“Johnson has – not unlike US president Donald Trump – built his entire career on shameless lies and extreme self-promotion.”
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Swiss title Neue Zurcher Zeitung runs a column from its British correspondent Peter Nonnenmacher with the title: “He’s here – what now?”

He writes: “It will not be easy for him. From the situation in which he has manoeuvred, there is no apparent way out.

“With the solemn summoning of willpower and optimism alone, no state can be made. There must be more, much more.”
    ----------------------------------------------------
    Three Flemish language Belgian titles all make reference to Brexit in their coverage – De Morgen writes the EU is “not afraid of Johnson”, de Standaard says Johnson “had 100 days” – a reference to the Brexit deadline of October 31 – and De Tijd writes “The loot has been secured”.
    -------------------------------------------------------
    The Irish Times, in a strident editorial, refers to Johnson’s elevation as “a new nadir” for the UK.

It says the best hope for Ireland, Europe and “British citizens themselves – is that Johnson as prime minister will be guided by three of his worst traits, which together have defined his career: he doesn’t mean a word he says, he is obsessed with power and he is willing to betray those closest to him in the pursuit of that power.”
    ------------------------------------------------------

I think the above says it all about BoZo.

This discussion has been closed.