The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• So we got in this mess because the Tories were afraid of Farage (Ukip).

Which hasn't really worked out well for them, has it.

But now they're doubling down on their error.

:doh:

• So, how many spare rooms do you have?

But, we may have to pack up and leave the country, depending on how 'no deal' works out.
  • ASLEF

Well, them and the rank (if not file) of the party who voted for him...
  • MrsGrey said:

But, we may have to pack up and leave the country, depending on how 'no deal' works out.

That is terrible :hug:

I was jokingly thinking I’d tell you that I was house trained and don’t mind doing that washing up. I could do with some help with my written English too.

• edited July 2019
    Suz :hug:

We have wrestled with the Greek bureaucratic malarkey, and done our part. (That is, we've met the terms of the reciprocal deal for EU residents that is on offer from the Greek govt, but it will all depend on if the UK match those terms. If they don't, we'll probably have to up sticks.)

Now we just have to wait and see.
  • edited July 2019
    But I'm happy to help with you're written English, even in the event of no deel.

:biggrin:
  • If they don't, we'll probably have to up sticks.

Speak for yerself :scarfire:
  • edited July 2019
    :lol:

trudat

The washing up liquid is in the cupboard under the sink :ok:
  • Where's the sink? :puzzled:
  • IronHerb said:

Where's the sink? :puzzled:

Even more importantly, WHAT's a sink :puzzled:
  • Grey, on behalf of MrsGrey, for your last comment :fishslap:

:biggrin:

• So said Boris, when the Labour Party elected a new leader while in government.
  • So gormless gordon had set a precedent with Boris merely following it :wink:
  • It’s all very well mocking previous quotes but as of now we have no idea if he will call an early general election. He may well do.
  • Sorry Mrs G, are you implying that Johnson's a hypocrite as well as a liar, a racist, a homophobe and a misogynist?

Because that would almost make him unelectable.

But sadly only almost.
  • edited July 2019
    ex/baracks

My own personal view is that a party choosing a new leader according to their own constitution is perfectly fine. Whether that party is in government or not.

However, I'd like to know if Boris still is of the view that doing so is a 'gigantic fraud'. If not, why not. If yes, he should probably call a general election asap and stop trampling on the 'democratic will of the British people'.

Or else it is he who is the gigantic fraud.

Which is an eye-opener, I know.
  • The following is a quote from the much revered Winston Churchill re: the Bengal famine

“The starvation of anyway underfed Bengalis is less serious than that of sturdy Greeks”

My point being is that you will struggle to find any political leader who is completely flawless
  • You'll struggle to find anyone who is flawless.

But you would hope that the person in charge of running the country would demonstrate much more integrity and diplomacy than Johnson has so far in his political career.
  • edited July 2019
    Theresa May displayed all of that in abundance but her legacy as a leader does not read well in the eyes of many

BJ should now be judged on what he does in office.
  • edited July 2019
    But he is. He is widely considered as the worse Foreign Secretary in living memory. He is on record as calling the French "a highly offensive term". He has effectively condemned a British citizen to 5 years in an Iranian prison.

He was hopeless in his previous governmental role, and I have absolutely no doubt that he'll be hopeless in his next one; which given what he is now in charge of overseeing, is frankly terrifying.
  • edited July 2019
    Yet 52% though he did a good job as mayor of London v 29% who thought he didn’t. That’s the problem, if a view is already made up on someone, only the bad points will be raised. A bit like a surveyors report for a house purchase.

Oh and about the French - whatever he said about them (which absolutely wasn’t good at all) hasn’t stopped macron supposedly being keen to meet him
  • I will indeed judge him by what he does on office.

Will he look at nurses being paid so little they have to use food banks to feed their children whilst politicians eat as in heavily subsidised first class dinning rooms?

I wonder too if he will do an about face on his homophobia, misogyny, racism and sexism. Will he stop lying and apologise for misleading the county prior to the Brexit vote.

I live in hope although breath holding I will not be doing.
  • edited July 2019
    Being London Mayor is a very different proposition. He only had to think about London.

As Foreign Secretary and, more so as PM, he'll have to consider the demands of England, Scotland, Wales, NI, Europe, the US, Russia, China... I could go on, but my point is that managing the expectations of one City - as diverse as it is - is nothing compared to what he has to face now and, frankly, much less important.
  • baracks

But negative views about Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson are based on abundant evidence, including evidence of when he was serving in political office.

I see no reason to assume that what produced his many personal and political failings will miraculously become a thing of the past.
  • Theresa May displayed all of that in abundance but her legacy as a leader does not read well in the eyes of many

Because those qualities are the bare minimum, and not the only thing used to judge performance.
  • So let’s all side with Corbyn then?

The one who

Opposed Britain’s original membership of the European communities

Opposed Maastricht

Opposed Lisbon

Backed a referendum on a British eu withdrawal in 2011

And now would vote to remain in the EU (well that’s today’s stance anyway)

This is a man who IMO likely cares not a jot for either remain or leave. He cares only for any means of getting into Downing Street and rolling out Venezuela mark 2.

• As London Mayor.

"This Mayor takes his promises to Londoners extremely seriously. Every station that has a ticket office will continue to have one.”

"The first and most important point to make is that no ticket offices will be closed, alright? They're not going to be closed...”

"The answer to the number of ticket office closures is: nil."

Ticket offices were closed across the network.

• barracks, its not an either or situation.

I can have a negative opinion of Boris as PM (all evidence suggests that he is not fit for office) without needing to qualify it against my opinion of Corbin.

Who incidentally I wouldn't want as PM either.
This discussion has been closed.