The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• I would but... you know ... Talksport ;whome
  • I know I know. At least it's not Durhams show though.
  • Lols at Chelsea btw ;lol
  • Ham , thanks for that and yes I did take a listen, interesting take on Ireland over England.

I did not realize that technically Markie could have played for Ireland, given that he was realistically only a fringe player at England level, I really appreciated the comment that he had never dreamed of playing for Ireland and that it did not sit right with him that had he done so, he would be taking the place of someone for whose dream was to play for Ireland.

Have to respect that

;clap
  • Call me an old cynic (many have) or a conspiracy theorist (less so, but there was a time I doubted the moon landings and watched a lot of The X Files), but in the 1am fug of milk prepping, my mind wandered to our apparent reluctance to put any real effort into getting 7th place.

I mean, every time we've had a chance of reaching the position required for European football qualification this season, we've folded like a West Indian T20 batting line up. And then, much like the smell of the fouled nappy that was about to greet my return to the bedroom, it hit me; aren't we competing in the potentially lucrative Asia Trophy in the summer? ;hmm

As I wrapped the impressively heavy nappy into a supposedly odour-neutralising bag, I asked my boy whether we're consciously avoiding the risk of playing Europa League qualifiers against our old nemesis Astra Goo Goo so we can commit to the opportunity of garnering new support from the profitable Asian market. "Well dad, Sullivan does have a reputation for putting financial reward ahead of success on the pitch", his eyes seemed to say.

So as my other half offered to do the feed as I "had work in the morning and needed to get some sleep", I got back into bed and immediately researched the dates of previous Asia Trophy competitions and this summer's Europa League qualifiers.

In 2011, the Asia Trophy ran from the 27th-30th July. In 2013 it was 24th-27th July. 2015 was 15th-18th July and 2017 was 19th-22nd July. It’s safe, therefore, to assume that this year’s tournament will take place in the second half of July.

Europa League preliminary qualifiers begin on 27th June, with the 1st and 2nd round qualifiers taking place on the 11th and 25th July respectively. Which means for us to reach the Europa League proper would almost certainly mean passing up the opportunity to compete in the Asia Trophy. So have Pellegrini and the players been steered towards avoiding 7th to ensure we can sell the West Ham London brand in China instead? It sounds unlikely. Ridiculous, almost. But as I finally drifted off to sleep, that nagging doubt lingered like the acrid stench of my baby’s rear end.

So what conclusions have I drawn from this? Well, firstly, I'm tired. Googling FIFA scheduling at half one in the morning is not conducive to a good night's sleep. Secondly, I'm impressed at how much mess a four-month old can make of himself whilst asleep. And finally, as much as I want to trust David Sullivan, and as improbable as my theory is, there's always a bit of me that will suspect him of putting the lure of money ahead of the chance of achieving something on the pitch.
  • OCS
    a little too much information while eating my breakfast. ;biggrin
  • OCS

I'm thinking 'sleep deprivation'. ;wink
  • Love it OCS a sleep deprived stream of consciousness....

;tumbleweed
  • Interview with Tony Carr who is currently halfway through writing his memoirs (Dear Santa...)

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2019/03/12/tony-carr-best-developer-young-talent-english-football-keen/
  • Ok, in last weeks NBC sports predictor league, I was placed 256th out of 69,000 odd and won the grand sum of $0.76.

I am tempted to claim it just so I can frame the cheque.

;biggrin
  • edited March 2019
    Which reminded me to actually get the app at last! I've missed out on countless chances of $0.76 ;doh

#done and predicted the weekenders!
  • If you had 76c for every time you got a prediction right, you'd have .....
  • 152c

;puzzled
  • I predicted a 3-0 for us this week so I'll not hold my breath on too many $.076's being chucked my way ;whistle
  • Bazshuayi said:

$.076

That de-escalated quickly.
  • I didnt wanna set my sights too high ;puzzled
  • 89591AED-D08E-4343-B815-8AE6AED023C3
    Or
    DA425248-34F0-4153-A73B-DC6C343DEAD6
    Which one is lord grey?
  • You have to hope that the top one is his match.com profile pic ;wink
  • Bazshuayi said:

I predicted a 3-0 for us this week so I'll not hold my breath on too many $.076's being chucked my way ;whistle

NBCSN predictor gone after 17 minutes ;lol
  • edited March 2019
    Everytime I put the rugby on England go to pot
  • Why do we keep kicking the ball away. Blooming scrum half, never liked him.
  • Scotland totally deserve this!!
  • That was simply the most exciting game of rugby I have seen, there is nowhere to hide on the Rugby field and everyone gave their all. ;clap
  • Very weird game..

Have no idea about England, after a few years with Jones we dont seem to have progressed..
  • Ripped them to shreds first half but as soon as Scotland started to come back into it s3cond half we reverted to the jury kick it away ploy especially Young, just as we did against Wales.
  • https://bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/47506797

The attached article describes some recent exploits of the England cricketer Kate Cross. What I didn't realise until I was listening to Test Match Special podcast this afternoon is that she is the daughter of a certain FA Cup winning David Cross.
  • Can't believe I work for TfL ;weep
  • Hamstew said:

Can't believe I work for TfL ;weep

#agentham

or #hamagent??
This discussion has been closed.