The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• Ace, definitely before. Our dog has a similar coat, if you do keep it long, you must groom daily, becomes matted very quickly/easily. Also I think "Tuppence" prefers before. He looks very miserable in the after photo. ;dog
  • Madcap, thanks for the advice. I'm afraid her look is down to me, earlier that day she had broken one of her milk teeth, I took her to the vet and was given some painkillers for her which I was supposed to put under her tongue to dissolve but I gave her them to swallow and she was spaced out as they contained morphine. As for her coat I will have it cut short next time as this was the fist time she had been to be groomed.
  • Ace,

Is that a Tibetan Terrier?
  • edited February 2019
    Moojor No, it's a Cockerapoo. And to my knowledge she has never been to Tibet. ;wink
  • She looks a lot like my dog, whose going for her first trim at the weekend. Want to avoid the very short look.
    IMG-20190130-WA0002
  • All of these dogs, mines a Goldendoodle, look great with long hair. Big cuddly fluffballs, but they do tend to matt. We made the mistake once of letting her fur get too long and then really struggled with maintenance. When she was cut the groomer had no choice but to give her a number 3, she looked very odd and about half her normal size, it`s weird but they look very, very skinny. Our dog is the spitting image of this:

We could have made a fortune out of signed photos...............
  • Moojor, Beautiful looking dog. Why do you say avoid very short? The breeder I bought her from recommended short body, long head, I must confess I have always had border collies so this breed is completely new to me, as I am getting on in years I thought I would buy a dog that does not need as much exercise.
  • This is our dog.

He's weird.

IMG_20190205_124223
  • Grey: Just to have a final say on the scientific opinion polls... I agree with Dodger. And just because a scientist (preferably in a white coat) says "this is scientifically proven" is no reason to utterly believe them or their methods. Any real scientist will admit that their findings, methodology, and conclusions are all temporary, until further evidence or advances in testing come along. Historically, scientists (like most other groups in society) have drawn conclusions that have been overtaken by later developments. So to say that I'm "Dismissing scientific method without clear reason" is a bit dismissive on your part (but no offense taken.) On a football forum, I'm not (often) going to bore people silly with long-winded reasons. Basically, my reasoning is that science has, and always will, get things wrong. It's the nature of knowledge and understanding. It's a historical perspective that I'm coming from.
    Oh, and COYI ;wink
  • Kuching

We are clearly talking at cross purposes.

I don't think, nor have I said, anything that suggests I don't accept:
    because a scientist (preferably in a white coat) says "this is scientifically proven" is no reason to utterly believe them or their methods.
    My point isn't about scientists, or single polls.

The science of statistics shows that the results of fairly populated surveys have a higher than 97% likelihood of being extrapolated to the wider community.

This is proven; if you don't believe it, then it would be up to you to disprove it, rather than simply say you don't believe it.

I'm not asking for, or expecting anyone to bow down before science as an abstract. However, when scientific methods have been used, and results have been found to be consistent, then I don't see that just dismissing this with a variation of 'meh' is an appropriate response.
  • Moojor, Beautiful looking dog. Why do you say avoid very short? The breeder I bought her from recommended short body, long head, I must confess I have always had border collies so this breed is completely new to me, as I am getting on in years I thought I would buy a dog that does not need as much exercise.

Ace, mine is a Tibetan Terrier and I really like the fluffy dog look. Though actually looking over some pics of the breed today, I don't actually think she needs a hair cut. Might just leave it to grow out a bit more.
  • A Historical perspective is not a "variation of meh." My first comment was specifically about Opinion Polls. They have shown that for all their well-researched methods, they can get it wrong. (Especially when it comes to personal topics, where so many factors muddy the water.) So this should lead us all to question their infallibility. It's a simple point, really. I do not have to prove them wrong, they have shown that they are fallible. In the future, when their methods have evolved further, pollsters will probably say "ah yes, we were a bit backward then, but now we have more advanced methods," but I'll still comment that their science is only temporary, as all science inevitably is.
    I am willing to accept that right now samples of 2,000 will be 97% accurate on some issues, by the way. Maybe I didn't make that clear. It's a depressing thought that the UK population can be broken down into a mere 2,000 parts, though.
    I shall now be on my cross-purposeful way. Maybe I'll get time to read that book, too.
  • I am willing to accept that right now samples of 2,000 will be 97% accurate on some issues, by the way.
    Thanks for clarifying that. ;ok

That's really the only point I was trying to make/confirm.

Going back to my original post about the survey, assuming that it was conducted fairly (and given who commissioned it, and who they used, that is a reasonable assumption, imo) then I think the results are truly disturbing.
  • As a great man once said: "...exact science moves from one approximation to another......"

Anyways, Kuching. Doggy, long haired or short.........................
  • shf

I've always liked him.
  • My son appointed joint first team manager today at Grantham town with Paul rawdon his long time buddy they in a bit of trouble fifth bottom and play top of the league in there first match, Martin O’Neil started off there got a brilliant set up and ground with 7,500 capacity but only getting bout 300/400 so might have to go and watch him perform
  • On doggie matters...what breed is this puppy? We found her being carried in a plastic bag, and she turned out to be a different breed than I expected! P_20180723_180112_1
  • You found her in a plastic bag!? ;angry
  • You found her in a plastic bag!? ;angry

I KNOW ;angry ........ You can`t buy anything now that isn`t packed in plastic. When will we learn........................
  • Looks a bit Rottweiler (ish) by the way??
  • Yes, a bit German Shepardy too.
  • 98446AD8-DF72-4682-B1CC-72B0F1E6B0D1

We talkin dogs?
  • Alderz, They look worried, and they look like they`re watching TV from behind the sofa. True West Ham fans.................. ;scarf
  • edited February 2019
    OCS, I just saw that photo.
    So when did they land a dog and a tennis ball on the Moon? ;biggrin
  • Thomas repka sentenced to 15 months for fraud where did it all go wrong
  • He couldn't afford to pay a fine like Jose?
  • Confirmed as the footballers body they have found how sad, spare a thought to the families at this dreadful time
This discussion has been closed.