The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• Mrs G we might as well give up worrying about apostrophes. Generally I see about 1 in 10 of them being used correctly and there are groups who want them abolished altogether. I’d like to see their petitions as I wouldn’t mind betting they want apostrophe’s abolished.
  • edited January 2019
    Thorn, I see what you did there - at least I'm hoping that it was intentional ;biggrin
    On further reading, of course it was. ;wink
  • Mrs G we might as well give up worrying about apostrophes.

Never!! ;whome
  • And in the cricket, normal service has resumed ;weep
  • edited January 2019
    MrsGrey said:

I'm more worried about the apostrophe. Which is wrong in whatever form of English it is. ;ok

The spelling is made up anyway, since it is a loan word from the Persian. لباس خواب
    and is just an attempt to replicate the pronunciation of the original word in English letters. It's why words like qat are also spelled khat, and both are correct.

Did you mean cat MrsG? ;run
  • Spuds lose on pens. Oh dear, how sad, never mind!!!
  • Kane reckons he will be fit for the cup final, out til at least May then ;biggrin
  • Spuds lose on pens. Oh dear, how sad, never mind!!!

As I said to grey, it's a win-win for us. Whoever lost, I'd be laughing at them.

It was actually a very entertaining game to watch ;ok

(Still get nervous at penalties though ;doh ;lol )
  • Another season without a trophy me thinks now, spud fan comes in always takes the Mick saying you ain’t got your own ground so I reply yes but we fill the ground we don’t own you can’t with yours and we always seem to win the same as you lot, nothing usually shuts him up lol
  • Man city game has been moved to Wed 27th Feb.
  • IronHerb said:

Apparently this AC's house and it's up for sale -

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-77197013.html

I cant say I'm surprised, it looks proper pokey... no room to swing a cat.
  • Five per cent of UK adults do not believe the Holocaust took place and one in 12 believes its scale has been exaggerated, a survey has found.

The poll of more than 2,000 people was carried out by Opinion Matters for the Holocaust Memorial Day Trust (HMDT).
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47015184

God help us all.
  • Part of the problem is that it’s history is no longer taught in most schools. My children, now in their forties, were taken to the concentration camps as part of their curriculum. The secondary school my granddaughter is now in has no plans to do such trips as at the moment none of the years 7-11 cover the world wars in their history.
    I’d be interested to see the demographics of the 5% who deny it and the 8.33% who think the numbers are exaggerated. Combined it’s a scary total.
    With the growing tendency of vandalism of memorials it’s a worrying trend.
  • thorn

it’s history is no longer taught in most schools.
    That isn't true. It is taught as part of the KS3 History curriculum, which all children follow (before they take options for GCSE's.) This is compulsory, not an option.
  • As a schoolboy of 17, I went on a cricket tour of British Armed Forces in Germany - so a group of self-confident young sportsmen. On the trip (in 1976) we were taken around the Bergen Belsen concentration camp. The camp was burned to avoid the spread of disease within days of it's discovery.

All the pathways were still intact, there were white stones outlining every building, so you could picture the scene. There was a brick museum built where the gatehouse had once stood.

The museum was full of old fading black and white photos of the scenes the 'liberators' found. There was little left to the imagination, although I would be surprised if they images had not already been 'sanitised' to a large degree.

One of the things that most struck me (as a cocky young man) was the total lack of wildlife on the site. No sounds of crickets in the grass, no sign of any life. Even in the air no birds flew over. I haven't been back there since, so I don't know if signs of life have returned all these years later.

But clearly I have never forgotten - and it is extremely important that we are not allowed to forget - the lessons of the past must be shared and learned.
  • edited January 2019
    The deliberate targetting and extermination of groups of people* by the Nazis extended beyond the Jews. (I'm sure you well-informed folks know that, but it is something that is even more forgotten than the Shoah). Depending on which figures you use, Jewish deaths account for between a third and a half of the total number.

I think it is a shame that this wider meaning of 'Holocaust' is largely ignored, because when you teach the Holocaust as just an anti-semitic programme, the lessons history teaches us are incomplete.

*amongst whom were Roma, Slavs, Poles, disabled people, people with learning difficulties, catholics, homosexual people...
  • Dodger58

A mate of mine was based in Germany and speaking to him 15 years or so ago, he said the same thing about Belsen and the surrounding area. He said it was just dead, no wildlife, nothing.
  • Grey I know it is compulsory but it is not taught how I was taught or how my children were taught in lots of schools. From my friend’s grandchildren experiences it seems it was briefly referred to under a subject which covered various disparate topics.
    I think it should be seriously covered by including visits to the camps or film footage of what these camps were like. I doubt that would happen however as it would be considered too harrowing but it would help make people understand.
    As I said I’d like to know the demographics of the poll sample and the groups within the various percentages.
  • I learnt about the Nazis without having to go outside of Dagenham but at a time when some schools are struggling to afford text books overseas trips are not going to be a priority.

I looked at the websites for Holocaust Memorial Day Trust who commissioned the survey and Opinions Matter who conducted it but neither of them has published the actual data. They surveyed 2000 people and then "weighed" the results to reflect UK demographics.
  • In 2016 University College London released a report after surveying 9500 secondary school kids, the general summery seems to be that while 85% had been taught about the Holocaust by Year 10 not many knew more than the basics.

Maybe its not kids that have the problem...

https://www.holocausteducation.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/What-do-students-know-and-understand-about-the-Holocaust1.pdf
  • That is quite interesting. I've only got to the end of Ch 1, but it is already thought-provoking ;ok
  • The fact that it is (quite properly) a compulsory aspect of education should, imo, only be part of the story.

Parents and relatives have a responsibility to make sure that their children understand the need for acceptance of difference, and the moral and political dangers of extremism.

If there are children that don't know about the Holocaust, that is not, imo, simply a failure of schooling.
  • There was a brilliant series on the 1970s called The World at War, narrated by Laurence Olivier, I bought the DVD set for my own children’s education as I believed it should be in School syllabus, but never was.

One of the episodes was specifically about the camps, it should be compulsory viewing. But I’m afraid, as Thorn says above, it would be viewed as too harrowing for today.

I would also strongly recommend the film Denial, based on Deborah Lipstadt's book History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier, to those who have not yet seen it.
  • I was a teacher of history at German schools and the 3rd Reich takes up at least half a scholl year in the Curriculum. Usually it also includes a visit to a concentration camp and I have been to two different ones so far, Mauthausen as a pupil and Dachau as a teacher.

I know that you will never reach all the pupils but from a general perspective, every pupil you do reach is worth the effort.

I find the current political movement in Germany and Europe altogether extremely worrying, as it reminds me of the 1930's again. The 20's were a period of Wealth, similar to the times since the war but now people are forgetting the horrors of the right wing parties and vote them into parliament all across the continent.
  • Munich whilst I generally agree, I would suggest that the 'horrors' are not restricted to 'right' or 'left' politics - they is a lot to be wary of from both extremes.
  • Munich, I'll have to correct you there about the 20's being a period of wealth if you're referring to Germany.
    In July 1923 there were 353,412 marks to the dollar, in November, 4,200,000,000,000.
  • Bubbles - the 20s are usually referred to as a golden age. Even in Germany. I did not have any specific exchange rate in mind but rather the general consensus.
  • Munich, I'm reading "The Dark Valley" by Piers Brendon and the 20s were anything but a golden age. ;ok
  • Munich, my mistake, 1924-1929 were a golden age ;ok
This discussion has been closed.