The 'Couldn't think where to put this' thread part 2 or 'does my comment merit a NEW THREAD?'

Comments

• When people feel they gave the ability to behave in a terrible way as it has official approval and no consequence then people can be terrible, look at the summary executions happening on the war on drugs in the Philippines, humanity has a weakness that if you allow atrocity in the name of the state, it happens
  • "The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people."MLK.
    I've always tried to live by that beautiful statement,it's not always been possible and I've endured a few silent rides in the back of black cabs because of it.However it always felt better to challenge than to keep silent.
  • Going slightly off at a tangent, my favorite quote by MLK that I hang my hat on is where he states, “I live for the day when my children will be judged, not by the color of their skin, but by their character”

For me, that says it all because at the end of the day, does it not all come down to that.

;ok
  • Going way off topic but I know that many of you realize that it can get quite chilly over here, but this week the temps here in Chicago are crazy cold.

On wednesday we are expecting to experience the coldest core temperatures in Chicagos history, a high of minus 18F and a low of minus 28F, wind chills are expected to range between minus 40F and minus 60F.

And that my friends, is proper cold.

Apparently it will be warmer on the summit of Mount Everest - how crazy is that!!
  • We are obviously talking about dangerous temperatures here, there are many warnings about exposing any flesh at all, frostbite can occur within ten minutes of being outside and advice abounds about avoiding deep breaths and even talking.

I am just praying that the power stays on and that people can hunker down - we certainly will be.
  • Good luck Chicago ;cappuccino keep as warm as you can.
  • Poor animals outside ;puzzled
  • Yes, even Millwall can get affected by the cold ;wink
  • MrsGrey said:

Poor animals outside ;puzzled

Can you imagine being homeless when it`s like this. Cold enough here at the minute at minus 2, minus 3 the last few days. We have about 1mm of snow (where it has settled). Be safe Chicago. ;cappuccino ;cake
  • My favorite line this week

“It is so cold in Chicago, the politicians have their hands in their own pockets”

Well it made me laugh ;lol
  • Chicago, on the news this morning there was a report from Chicago. Almost incomprehensible the conditions there. Getting colder here too, hovered between minus 6 and 7 this morning. Saw a chap in Chicago chuck a mug of boiling water in the air and it turned instantly to "snow". ;scary
  • The conversation seems to have moved on since I last contributed: but I do recommend reading "Humanity (A Moral History of the 20c)" by Jonathan Glover. It deals with most of the horrors, and looks at the whys and hows. Draw your own conclusions.
    As for the Opinion Polls and their super scientific methods, I am utterly unconvinced. Remember, these are the boffins who had such great success with the UK referendum and USA Presidential election. A sarcastic
    ;clap to all their houses.
    That's long enough for now ;wink
  • edited February 2019
    Kuching

There is a large potential difference in accuracy between taking polls for potential voting intentions, and for what people believe to be fact.

Dismissing scientific method without clear reason seems to me a very dangerous road to go down.

The whole point about 'scientific method' is that it can be repeated and tested.

What the statistics say (and what has been proven) is that if you take a poll of 2000 people, selected fairly, that will be representative of the population as a whole to an accuracy of over 97%.

So, in the case of surveys about voting intentions in the last election, whilst the results were not reflective of the actual outcome, that doesn't contradict the science.

What the science says is that if you had taken that poll again, with another fairly selected group, you would have got the same results within a margin of error of less than 3%.

Just saying 'Well I don't believe the science' leads, I'm afraid, to the sort of nonsense Trump is so fond of spouting.
  • Grey whilst I agree with you in principle, opioniin polls cannot be scientific - even if they claim to use scientific methodology.

The only Polls that matter are the actual elections/referenda.

Recent polls have not covered themselves in glory for their accuracy ...

I do believe in science but I don’t believe in polls
  • Dodger

Yes, perhaps I wasn't clear.

Whether an opinion poll does or does not reflect the actual outcome of an event is not the science bit.

The science bit says that the opinions collected are an accurate reflection of the opinions of the population as a whole. If the poll was retaken, with a different fairly selected group, you would get mostly the same results.

In the poll referred to earlier in the thread, about knowledge regarding the Holocaust, the science says the results are an accurate reflection of how the population as a whole would respond, to within more than 97% accuracy.
  • edited February 2019
    ;ok The methodology is scientifically sound. So it can be relied upon as being representative of the population as a whole. (Subject to the question of how they weighted the results.)

Whether or not people are telling the truth when they answer, or (in the case of opinion/intention) whether they will subsequently change their minds is not known. The reasons why opinion polls (in elections) often turn out to be poor predictors of the eventual outcome vary: the nature of the person answering the question, the way the questions have been formulated and how the results are interpreted are some of them.

But the Holocaust one we were discussing earlier wasn't an opinion poll.
  • edited February 2019
    Exactly ;ok
  • In my opinion, assessing the validity of polls rest in how you select the sample, the US is such a polarized society that it appears unlikely that a purely randomly selected sample will produce a similar result over a second sample selected even just a couple of days later.

I think that is why the polls have been forced to break down the demograpthics into sub-sets, age, gender, location, known religious or political affiliation etc etc.

And despite this application of science, the actual results still manage to throw up outcomes that bemuse, befuddle and in some cases, actually make you throw up.

;hug
  • chicago

But the science isn't being applied to the outcomes. It is only being applied to the likelihood of receiving a similar set of results from a similar group.

Those involved in legitimate polling are fully aware of the necessity of producing a fair sample, since if there weren't a fair sample the results couldn't be extrapolated.

I wasn't really aware of any of this kind of stuff until I read Ben Goldacre's book Bad Science. It's a brilliant, and insightful read.
  • This phenomenon has been common in Poland for some years. A significant number of Poles claim in polls (pun intended) to intend to vote for more liberal or left-wing policies, as they feel that that is how they are expected to vote. They then vote for right-wing (often hard-line conservative) politicians. I think this is what happened with Brexit and Trump. "I know it's better to be in the EU, but I fear the canning world, so I want go back to the way things were, when I knew what to call boys, girls, right, wrong, the enemy, etc."

I am aware this is a generalisation. I jut got tired of typing.
  • edited February 2019
    The point is, if you surveyed 2000 Poles today, and a different 2000 tomorrow then you would get almost the exact same answers from the 2 samples. (Whether or not they made them up, and whether or not they actually go on to do what they say they will)...)

The focus in on the size of the sample, and whether or not 2000 is big enough for the answers you collect to be judged representative of the population as a whole. (It is.)

The quality of the answers is irrelevant.
  • Mrs. Grey, I know that. If you read my post carefully, you'll see I was referring to the reason pollsters were off in the Brexit/Trump votes.
  • ;ok

(You started with 'this phenomenon' and I wasn't sure which you were referring to, but now I am.)
  • https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/feb/02/we-took-inspiration-from-mumsnet-the-footballers-wives-support-network

I thought this was an interesting article, and gives 'the other side' of the story.

(It's about how some partners of current and ex-footballers set up a support group online, and is mainly about what it's like to be a wife/girlfriend/mum when your partner is a footballer. It refers mainly to 'top' footballers, but is applicable at the 'lower' leagues too.)

Some stats:
    40% of pro footballers go bankrupt within 5 yrs of retiring
    33% get divorced within a year of retiring.
  • edited February 2019
    Not unexpected, plane wreckage found

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-47111632
  • I had my puppy groomed last week, the picture below shows before, right and after, left. I prefer the before look, my family prefer the after. out of interest can I have your thoughts please?
    Tuppence
This discussion has been closed.