TRANSFER WINDOW KLAXON - stand clear, this window is now closed

Comments

• edited January 2018
    We will need see Hugnil play but he looks a back up player for exactly times like we have at the moment, a role Sakho would have likely played if he could have been bothered. I doubt we would have bought him had Carroll not been injured and Sakho sold but as this is the current picture I think we need a striker and one who can hopefully hit the ground running and bring a few goals between now and the end of the season when filling in for injuries or replacing players later in games when needing press for a goal. I would have preferred a loan for a Giroud or Bats but in the absence of that sort of business I think it's a reasonable attempt at filling a need.

• c&bsky,

It's down to how much it will cost us and could that money have got someone else from the Championship if that is where we are now looking?
  • If it gets done, seems to me a no-brainer.

We are replacing a lump of dead wood in Sakho with a player who will, at the very least, try his heart and soul to get into the first team, and will try his damnedest any time he gets on the pitch, imo.

And he might turn out to be any good.
  • Sakho and Ayew going
    Mario on loan and a bloke from Preston
    Yep I’m happy with lol
  • Exiting times to be a hammer
  • It is I’m sooooo excited
  • I am hoping not too much Fortuneseeker as I think getting anything for Sakho was good as I expected him to walk in the summer so the extra we pay which may be around 4-5m (not sure what is being suggested) will be about right and I would imagine wages are likely not massive as has come from Div 1.

He looks strong and alongside Arnie's greater ability but equal strength on the ball they could be quite a handful if playing together at times.
  • All talking about him like he's signed. So far Ayew hasn't left and this other fella hasn't signed. Not long left now. Still think there will be 0 more signings.
  • Dendoncker reported to be at Anderlecht's training ground tonight.

If true, I'd assume that deal is pretty much dead.
  • Amadou in London us or palace they saying on sky sports news centre on tv
  • edited January 2018
    Hamstew said:

All talking about him like he's signed. So far Ayew hasn't left and this other fella hasn't signed. Not long left now. Still think there will be 0 more signings.

I reckon we'll get Hugill done, and sell Ayew to Swansea.

If, however, we haven't addressed the DM position by the end of the window, particularly given the shenanigans with Carvalho in the summer, I won't be best pleased.
  • Plus the fact Obiang is pretty much done for and Oxford has left
  • edited January 2018
    Macca85 said:

Sakho and Ayew going
    Mario on loan and a bloke from Preston
    Yep I’m happy with lol

Are you serious, or being sarcastic? ;hmm
    I’m sooooo excited
    Makes me think the latter.

But then who is the Macca85 who previously said he

- thought Mario looked good in last nights game
    - thinks it is better to loan rather than buy if we are getting players from outside the PL.
    - wants 'young blood' rather than players late 20's 30s (Hugill + Mario, both 25)
    and
    - (I quote) "We have unearthed some very good players from the lower leagues and I think that's where we should be focusing a lot of our attention".

• A deal for Leander Dendoncker still being worked on to try and get him over to West Ham. The player wants to join the Hammers. 4hrs to get it done... #DeadlineDay
  • Super Mario looks quality already.

He's certainly an improvement over Ayew, and I'm looking forward to watching him play.

If Hugill comes, I'll back him, like I would anyone in the shirt.
  • grey,

So will I even after some of the duff signings we have made over many years, but if we are approaching deals with the can we have an option to buy later instead of an outright purchase or a loan deal with some kind of commitment on our part it isn't going to convince a prospective player that we are that keen to have them or have I missed something?
  • edited January 2018
    That'll make Hugill feel welcome ;thumbsup

(I am being sarcastic, in case you weren't sure.)
  • Don't we have some of the most moronic fans.
  • Fortune

Do we know if SuperMario was available to buy, and if so whether he would have signed a permanent deal?

Didn't seem to cause an issue with Manu.

I suspect if we offer contracts to players we first take on loan, it will be the size of the paycheck/contract length that convinces them we want them, rather than whether or not we had them on loan first.
  • "The strikers West Ham were in for in 2016: Lacazette, Bacca, Batshuayi."

Didn't they do well? ;doh
  • Sakho . A lump of dead wood???

He was great when he came to us. I think it says more about West Ham and what happens to players once they have been with us for a little while than him. He scored against PSG first game . Zaza, Snodgrass are other recent examples of players who join us becoming poor but leaving and improving straight away.
    Hugill is very cheap and the number of clubs he has been loaned to long (Tranmere , Hartlepool etc) None of the teams were decent though.
  • Prolific, and I’d have had two out of the three for definite
  • edited January 2018
    BREAKING NEWS

Aleksandar Mitrovic’s proposed loan to Anderlecht has broken down because Anderlecht have failed to sell another player to fund the move, Sky Sports News understands.

Yup Dedoncker deal is dead in the water.
  • Hutton

Sakho hadn't really played above the second division in France, so I'm not convinced he was great when he came. Rather, he came and settled quickly and was prolific. And he was a lump of deadwood in the sense that he hasn't started a league game in about 300 years
  • re Giroud, I agree that the £30.00 number initially banded about was steep , I wish we had had the resolve to just go in with about bid of £18m or so to find out if there was any interest.

If he really has gone for that money, I think that is a bargain.

Going back in the thread to negotiation tactics, the difference in football is that the asset you are after is a human being with feelings, there is merit in making a bid that makes the target actually feel wanted, we are not bidding for an inaminate object such as a building or a financial deal.

I of course understand the principle of not just paying what the seller wants but there is a case for going in with a realistic assessment of value.

I know the discussion moved on, but as an individual, if I was led to believe that I was worth X and an offer came in at literally half that amount, I certainly would not be feeling the love.

Just my tuppence worth
  • at least its not a boring deadline day for us. Might get one signing in. ;lol
  • edited January 2018
    2 Jan windows on the bounce that we made a net profit right ;hmm ?
  • Re the chap from Preston, I am actually fully behind it, I am sorry that Martinez does not seem ready to make the grade and this guy seems to have something about him.

He will, hopefully, relish the opportunity and give his all, it might not be good enough but that is all we have the right to ask, and as Grey says.

He actually might be decent

;wink
This discussion has been closed.