Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• No image. The last issue was for the Man Utd match, the last game at Upton Park.
  • " We have no idea what is going on behind closed doors at the club. We simply assume".
    Munich its not all assumptions - we can read the club accounts for a start.
    They are due out at the end of this month BTW.
  • edited February 2018

I think it’s an online publication these days.

;ok
  • IronHerb said:

No image. The last issue was for the Man Utd match, the last game at Upton Park.

;ok
  • Not our board but a lovely moment all the same, the day Dave Whelan unveiled a statue of himself Dave Whelan holding the FA Cup that he won, outside the Dave Whelan stadium.

https://www.wiganathletic.com/news/2016/november/dave-whelan-statue-unveiled/

• Make's Al Fayed's Jacko statue look sensible

• I had forgot about that one, some people!
  • Its at the Museum of Football in Manchester
  • David Gold does it again ;doh

DG sent a nice tweet to a grandfather about his new granddaughter, saying this is her club and it will make her happy. Another fan replied to say that she would be very happy 'if we get decent owners that buy decent players'.

DG replied with, "Don't you think our current players would find your comments insulting? dg"

More than a little bit ironic given that his business partner publicly insulted two of our current playing staff.

Also some comments that he didn't turn up to a meeting with a West Ham fan group ;hmm Anyone know anything about this?
  • David Gold does it again ;doh

DG sent a nice tweet to a grandfather about his new granddaughter, saying this is her club and it will make her happy. Another fan replied to say that she would be very happy 'if we get decent owners that buy decent players'.

DG replied with, "Don't you think our current players would find your comments insulting? dg"

More than a little bit ironic given that his business partner publicly insulted two of our current playing staff.

Also some comments that he didn't turn up to a meeting with a West Ham fan group ;hmm Anyone know anything about this?

some fans should just learn to shut up as well. What's the point of having a dig at Gold when he is saying something nice.

• Tbf that is classic. After what DS said about Snodgrass and Fonte
  • OCS

Sorry, but I really, really, don't see how DG does anything again.

What on earth can you find that is controversial in what he says?

And as Moojor points out, do fans really need to be trolling him all over Twitter?
  • edited February 2018
    DG and DS did not show at the meeting with the the fans groups. KB did attend but again no news report from the club.
  • I ddin't get the impression either of them would be at the meeting.

I assumed the 'we' meant club representatives.
  • Well, I think DGs comment is jolly good.

I wasn't too chuffed with DS saying disparaging things about current players. (I'm not bovvered about his saying stuff about past players, really - players and managers seem happy enough to write books digging out whoever they want to so I don't see why owners should have to keep schtum.) Saying positve things is much more what I like to see.

• edited February 2018
    Sullivan never goes to any of the fan meetings or forums or any of the player meet and greets.

Brady attends meetings and forums as the board representative and occasionally Gold will accompany her.

Meet a few of the players forums usually includes Gold (at least the ones I have been to did).

More - no actual news.
  • OCS

Sorry, but I really, really, don't see how DG does anything again.

What on earth can you find that is controversial in what he says?

And as Moojor points out, do fans really need to be trolling him all over Twitter?

Nothing controversial Grey, but incredibly naive again, IMO. The irony of his comment about fans criticising players given Sully's recent history was bound to be picked up by people, and it does nothing for the board/fan relationship, which this thread is all about.

Of course fans don't need to be trolling him all over Twitter. Equally, does he need to send provocotive responses? Granted, he's perfectly entitled to, but it isn't going to make for a healthy relationship, is it.

Now I'm only a casual user of Twitter, but as far as I can see, no other PL chairmen are on there, bickering with fans.
  • Moojor said:

David Gold does it again ;doh

some fans should just learn to shut up as well. What's the point of having a dig at Gold when he is saying something nice.

100% agree Moojor.

But let's be honest, it's never going to happen, is it.

IMO at least, DG should take the higher ground and not engage in the way that he does. Arguably he shouldn't have to, but as I've just said to Grey, for the sake of the relationship between board and fans, I personally think he should.
  • Obviously Gold and Sullivan didn't attend as they didn't think it important to do so. I suspect that will stiffen resolve and increase numbers on the 10th.
  • What makes this group feel they should get preferential treatment compared to other fan groups?
  • Obviously Gold and Sullivan didn't attend as they didn't think it important to do so.
    Didn't think it important that they did so.

An unofficial, non-representative, selective group, get a meeting with the Vice-Chair of the club, and people don't think that is good enough?
  • An unofficial, non-representative, selective group, get a meeting with the Vice-Chair of the club, and people don't think that is good enough?

Well considering fan unrest is at its greatest since the Bond scheme, I would have thought they might have spared some time.

• MrsGrey said:

What makes this group feel they should get preferential treatment compared to other fan groups?

Probably because they have actively got together a heavy number of people for a March co-ordinated with police and so on....
  • They are meeting with the police today.
  • yeold, to change the procedure (of who goes to such mtgs) on the basis of 'they've organised a demonstration against us', would (imo) be stupid on the part of the owners.

Such a change will just encourage more demonstrations (which presumably the owners don't want to do) and annoy the non-demonstrating fan groups who have in the past taken a different (?less confrontational and more constructive?) approach.
  • I think this group have very quickly managed to organise themselves and achieve numbers, as well as bringing together a lot of other supporter groups to form a collective voice. I think this is what is new compared to previous groups and it makes them from the boards point of view too big and organised to ignore. How much they will take notice and allow influence remains to be seen but I feel the group have done really well to establish themselves so quickly and will begin to have their voice heard and achieve leverage of some sort. They will need retain unity within however, which is always a difficult one and ensure their message and public face is managed well to retain and grow support.
  • MrsGrey said:

yeold, to change the procedure (of who goes to such mtgs) on the basis of 'they've organised a demonstration against us', would (imo) be stupid on the part of the owners.

Such a change will just encourage more demonstrations (which presumably the owners don't want to do) and annoy the non-demonstrating fan groups who have in the past taken a different (?less confrontational and more constructive?) approach.

Good then imo. Football in general has got to the point that it needs action than people talking in boardrooms getting nowhere.

Liverpool underpinned this when they kicked off at Anfield over pricing and took Action with their feet and left on the 77th minute.

If the only way the people at the top of the game, Owners / FA / FIFA whoever start listening to people and actually do something is through action then I encourage more fans from every club to start marching more.
  • They will need retain unity within however,

A key point ;ok

I think there have already been signs of - shall we say 'different views'? - among them though.
  • MrsGrey said:

They will need retain unity within however,

A key point ;ok

I think there have already been signs of - shall we say 'different views'? - among them though.
    Where and how have these signs manifested themselves. On a report on WHO a chap that attended last nights meeting said that "everyone was on the same page and supported the RWHFAG".
  • And just to clarify, I`m pretty ambivalent regarding the march. Not keen on the owners, but personally can`t generate the necessary ooomph to get up and march/demonstrate. But I think what the organisers have achieved in a short space of time is pretty impressive and good luck to them.