Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• 2 things: I hope all three of them turn up. And no NDAs. Transparency matters.
  • edited February 2018
    Interesting statement from DG on Twitter. Someone posted an accusation that we're going backwards as a club, partly because of the board's poor signings, to which DG replied:

"The manager has the final say on player recruitment. dg"

For me, this is another example of why he should keep away from Twitter. Firstly, because it's a direct response to a criticism levelled at the board, it feels a bit like putting all of the blame on poor signings on the manager. I think that there should be an element of collective responsibility between the manager and board, but this, and some of Sully's statements in the past, have a sense of 'not us, guv' about them.

Secondly, I don't think it's entirely true. I mean, ultimately the recruitment of a player is at the discretion of the board, i.e. are they prepared to buy the player. As an example, I don't think it's fair to say Bilic had the final say on the Carvalho deal. If he had, we'd have signed him. The final say, IMO at least, is that of the chairman and whether he's prepared to meet the player's asking price.

I understand that DG has every right to use Twitter and defend his position, I'm just not convinced it's the best thing for him (he does get a lot of dogs abuse) or for the relationship between the board and the fans.
  • "There's going to be people who think if we meet the Board we're selling out," he added. "But that's not me, Micky [Morgan] or anyone who's living this 24/7. We're in it for the long haul."
    Read more at http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=132204#AcyAozDpV2FZoRLE.99
  • I agree. Particularly when he retweeted an expletive-ridden rant against the march and the objectives of the RWHFAG. Regardless of your point-of-view that's unacceptable.
  • OCS

I don't think DG is trying to apportion blame. I think he is simply stating the facts: the board give the manager the final say so when it comes to signings.

So, if the manager says no, a players doesn't come.

It's not the same as saying he gets everyone he wants, just that he never gets a player landed on him.
  • edited February 2018

OCS

I don't think DG is trying to apportion blame. I think he is simply stating the facts: the board give the manager the final say so when it comes to signings.

So, if the manager says no, a players doesn't come.

It's not the same as saying he gets everyone he wants, just that he never gets a player landed on him.

Fair enough Grey, but in the context of the conversation, i.e. the board have made poor signings, his response of 'the manager has the final say' suggests to me that he is apportioning blame. He could have just said, 'I appreciate some of our signings haven't worked out'.

But that's kind of my point. I understand why some of his responses are emotive; mine probably would be if I was faced with almost constant grief from disaffected fans, but then I would remove myself from that situation and deactivate my account.

Also, I don't actually believe the manager has the final say so. Pretty sure Sully is on record as saying that before they sign a player, he, the manager and Tony Henry (as was) have to all agree. This may change under Sully's newly delegated transfer policy, so I guess we'll find out in the summer.
  • The board may very well give the manager the final say - none of us really know.
    But if the choice the manager is given is " we know you need 3 players, but you can only have Carlos Kickaball from Peru, because thats all we can afford this window, yes or no ?"
    Thats a different scenario IMO.
    Thats like saying that there were never Sully signings in the past.
  • edited February 2018
    OCS, I interpret it to mean 'the manager has a veto' kind of thing. ;hmm

Also, I'm (fairly) sure that they have acknowledged in the past that some of the signings haven't worked out? So DGs tweet isn't the only and the final word on the subject.

But I do agree that either he should close down his tweeter account or get the PR dept to come up with some standard (diplomatic? anodyne?) responses and just trot those out in the same way that politicians do, without actually answering the question or addressing the issue that has been raised. (Actually, I don't think he should do that. I think he should step away from social media. I don't know why he puts himself through it, tbh.)
  • I'd be surprised if Moyes said no to Dendonker considering our previous lack of a DM (was available, wanted to come to West Ham, we didn't match the price).
  • Imagine the criticism Gold would get if he deactivated his twitter account - damned if you do; damned if you dont.
  • How would they criticise him? ;hmm Write a letter and pay for a 1st class stamp ;lol ;whistle
  • So they're all thick then?
  • edited February 2018
    IH social media is imo a herding thing so not all and not thick but prepared to pay out? All of them? ;wink
  • MarkNobleLocalHero - the same way as they do now; on any platform they can. I will refrain from responding in the same way as your reply comes across to me.
  • Barney said:

Imagine the criticism Gold would get if he deactivated his twitter account - damned if you do; damned if you dont.

For sure. They’ll say he doesn’t care enough about fans to answer their questions. And that he’s running scared.
  • Rattled, maybe? ;wink
  • Why would they be rattled by a bunch of supporters who rely on others to fund their great day out and who think they are the best thing since sliced bread?
    We have owners who made their own fortune. Afaik they didn't inherit it or win it, the made it themselves.

"We hope they'll be adopting a more conciliatory tone than previously, but if we don't like their attitude or what they have to say to us we'll get up and walk out."
    To me that comes across as extremely arrogant. Do what we like or else we will throw our toys out of the pram and shout insults at you.
    bfs had a word for that. Deluded, I think it was.
  • Ok Munich. We'll all shut up and let them get on with it then.
  • Why would they be rattled by a bunch of supporters who rely on others to fund their great day out and who think they are the best thing since sliced bread?

A sweeping generalisation if ever there was one. Where does this hatred of our own come from?
  • In amongst all the chaos, spite, vitriol and anger, on Saturday a game of football broke out.
  • edited February 2018

In amongst all the chaos, spite, vitriol and anger, on Saturday a game of football broke out.

A what
    ;wahoo
    coyi ;barrera ;goal
    Did we win ;biggrin
  • edited February 2018
    Herb - not what I said. But a bit more respect would be appreciated. We are not involved in any of the business dealings, yet some fans, when they don't get what they think they deserve/want, claim everything that comes out of their mouths is lies.

hh - no hatred whatsoever. But a group calling themselves "real hammers" implies that anyone who is not in their group is ipso facto no "real hammer".
    That kind of approach is certainly one I don't want to be associated with.

Then, if I want to stage some protest I need to finance it from within the group and not by asking others to pay for it.

And a lot of the stuff aimed at them is just pure vitriol. It is easy to manage from your couch and it seems it is even easier to spend other peoples' money. But god beware they might be asked to pull their finger out and make their own fortube
  • edited February 2018
    Just popped back to say sorry Munich but I respectfully disagree with pretty everything you’ve written.

This group isn’t about results it’s also not about any kind of personal success, it’s about long term WHU fans who’ve invested a lot of time and money following the club over many many years, not like you and me (in the main last 15 years for me) from our armchair, it’s about a group of people who believe they’ve been sold more than one lie by the owners, they’re also probably kicking themselves if the truth be known that they allowed themselves to be led away from UP far too easily and were sold a dream

So, they setup funding, nobody is forced to contribute but my guess is that the majority of donations where from people part of the 14k on Facebook, anything Left over from funds required for posters, flyers etc will be going to the Isla fund for that poor little girl.
    It has been funded from within the group.

;ok
  • I've had to mod a couple of posts on here.

I don't really know why, since the site rules/ethos are long established, and there's an announcement on the front page.

Don't make personal comments towards other users.

If you can't disagree with someone without having a dig, don't post.
  • If that's how some if you feel, fair enough. I don't!
    True, I don't get to London often enogh, never mind watching any games (certainly not since Sky Germany lost the rights) but I object to some of the stuff the owners are being subjected to and I object to one group claiming anyone not in their group is not a real fan.

I might not agree with everything that the owners do but in my opinion the only way forward is true dialogue. Not the kind of "if they tell us anything we don't like ..." kind of stuff. That is nothing less than blackmail.
  • Just sounds like north bank,south bank west side, the chicken run
    I once had a t-shirt
    The chicken run
    West Ham
    Last stand
    Big deal deal ;sbrew ;clap
    Just coz one group of fans wish demonstrated, doesn’t mean the rest are less of fans or supporters “in my humble opinion “
    coyi
  • All protest groups and political parties are funded by people who align themselves with the aims of the group. The money is given freely to help formulate a means of asserting pressure on the current base of power. They are not spending tax payers money they are spending money offered for the exact purpose they have stated before asking for donations, in this case to coordinate a protest march.

I can understand you disagreeing with the reasons they wish to protest as we all have differing opinions, but it's hard to criticise them funding their activity through their group membership as otherwise the Labour party and all political parties are in big trouble if there is something fundamentally wrong in fund raising through membership.
  • But in my eyes funding something throzgh membership fees is something different to setting up a go fund me page or something like that.

But regardless of that, I think there needs to be more respect. If I were one of the Daves, would I want to meet up with people who abuse me about what I do to my plaything? I am not entirely sure. We have no idea what is going on behind closed doors at the club. We simply assume. And yet anybody and his dog could do a better job at it.
  • Does “over land and sea” still get sold?
  • I think it’s an online publication these days.