Board/Fan Relationship

Comments

• edited January 2018
    C+B, I suppose it depend what you mean by 'financial details of our current situation'.

I assumed you meant much more in depth than was currently and publicly available. (Edit -as per alderz' comment. Also, if you knew WH had £30m and you wanted to beat them to a signing, you would be in a good position to trump their offer but not by too much.)

If you do only mean the stuff that is released via the company accounts, then yes - I see no reason why the fans can't know that too.

But they actually can already, very easily. No need to go to companies house - they can access it from the comfort of their own homes by clicking on this link from the official site. http://www.whufc.com/club/corporate-information/financial-reports

I wonder how many really want to know, though - I mean such that they will go to the trouble of finding out? After all, the club regularly puts that info up on the website.

I'd be interested to know what % of people who have expressed a view that touches on the financial state of the club have taken the trouble to look through the last few years worth of financial data and got to grips with the full picture.

• That clearly wouldnt stand up would it, that's like saying when Spurs sold Bale for 83m or whatever it was every player they asked about became 83m! it didn't, they may feel they can chance their arm a little but they are still in a market.

They would not need of course say we have 30m for a striker but for example on here someone will say just spend , another will say what about FFP, and neither likely know our position with regard FFP. A breakdown of basic figures to provide a snapshot of our financial position to allow fans the ability to manage their own expectations and prevent accusations of the like which seem to be levelled at them rightly or wrongly would in my view work in their favour.

• tbh, I think the haters would just pick on something else to hate them for.

And without a detailed breakdown, I'm managing my expectations quite nicely.
  • edited January 2018
    It's not that long ago that DS was making public statements about wanting to sign an x million £ striker, or how much was in the budget for signings, and he got pilloried for it. I'm fairly sure if the club published a headline transfer budget figure, they'd be told to shut up about it, stop being unprofessional, stop tipping our hand to our competitors, stop lying etc

I think you are just too reasonable, c+b.
  • MrsGrey said:

tbh, I think the haters would just pick on something else to hate them for.

And without a detailed breakdown, I'm managing my expectations quite nicely.

Or it could be that not everyone is or should be labeled a “hater” and the owners haven’t done as good a job as you’d hoped or that they think they have.

On the subject of the financials I’m not an accountant but I’ve read every set of books for the last decade, there have been some very valid reasons why we’ve been in debt over the years, when they took over the club they talked about the horrendous financials and the way the club was run, they’ve clearly made some improvements in that area, but the faces remain, whichever way you cut it, we’re still around 100m in debt (owners other clubs) just not to banks, but still have short term loan facilities, and we’re still in the midst of fighting relegation going into the new year, some 8 years on. Add to that we now have record income plus we’ve moved to the income boosting shiny new bowl, then it would seem to me they’ve wasted a bunch of funds along the way. As we all know there isn’t a perfect science to transfers, many players just don’t work out for whatever reason, but when you look at where we are, the financials, the players etc have we really improved? I think the jury is out.

It will be very interesting to see how many ST who were tied into a 2 year deal, renew. And therefore test the 50,000 waiting list (which is actually made up of thousands of members since last season at Boleyn - many who didn’t want a ST, but who knows they could be tempted)

Right now, I’d say the owners are failing/struggling a bit
  • MrsGrey said:

It's not that long ago that DS was making public statements about wanting to sign an x million £ striker, or how much was in the budget for signings, and he got pilloried for it. I'm fairly sure if the club published a headline transfer budget figure, they'd be told to shut up about it, stop being unprofessional, stop tipping our hand to our competitors, stop lying etc

I think you are just too reasonable, c+b.

They did, years ago £26m ticket budget at the Boleyn and £40m at the LS all to be used for transfer signings, their words

And the last 2 seasons it’s not materialized (net)
  • edited January 2018

MrsGrey said:

tbh, I think the haters would just pick on something else to hate them for.

Or it could be that not everyone is or should be labeled a “hater” and the owners haven’t done as good a job as you’d hoped or that they think they have.
    Come on. Where did I say everyone is a hater. I haven't.

If you want to make a point, make it. It can stand or fall on its own merits. You don't have to invent stuff about other posters to make your opinions seem more valid.

If you make any more false statements or implications about what other site members have said, such posts will be deleted.
  • Just read this blog and found that I tended to agree with most of it.

WARNING! It does contain a small amount of bad language.

http://thehlist.blogspot.co.uk
  • So now you just delete posts, when someone doesn’t agree with you?

What kind of regime has this turned into?

• When we are regularly challenging for a top six finish and giving the cups a real go then I will believe the owners have done right by us. If not it will just reinforce the believe that a few people have that it would be better to find another source of income as they will have shown they genuinely don't have what it takes to progress the club. ;ok
  • Slizzy

I've PM'd you. It should be obvious why the post was deleted.
  • IronHerb said:

Just read this blog and found that I tended to agree with most of it.

IronHerb said:

Just read this blog and found that I tended to agree with most of it.

About sums our club up imo
  • Nicky from West Ham fan TV invites Sullivan to explain himself:

• The problem with transfer budgets I.e net spend is it takes no account of wages. Hernandez was cheap at 16 mill but expensive with 110k a week wages it's easy to pick transfer apart with hindsight I thought Hernandez would be banging them in week in week out when we signed him . Now he is looking like an expensive sub as he does nt fit the managers bilic/moyes plans
  • I like the h list usually an amusing look at the club and a good read
  • Nicky from West Ham fan TV invites Sullivan to explain himself:

I like that twist, can’t see it happening but as he says nothing to hide, nothing to fear
  • I think they will be coming under a lot of pressure very soon.
  • Herb, I just finished reading that and the feeling I had was like when I read Catch-22 - at 900 pages or so, still I wanted it to go on and on.
    He has so perfectly summed up the current situation, thanks for posting the link. ;ok ;clap
  • Cuz1 said:

Nicky from West Ham fan TV invites Sullivan to explain himself:

I like that twist, can’t see it happening but as he says nothing to hide, nothing to fear
    Tbh, I like it, but also it concerns me. David Sullivan has a habit of saying bombastic things that he shouldn't, or saying things that are unclear and then (possibly) misrepresented among the fanbase.

Even if he had 'nothing to hide' I feel like any time he is in front of a camera / dictaphone / journo / fan is a time that he will put his foot in it.
  • Alderz

saying things that are unclear nuclear

fixed it for you.

;ok
  • edited January 2018
    David Sullivan has a habit of saying bombastic things that he shouldn't, or saying things that are unclear ................ Alderz ;ok

Steer clear Sully it's a trap! Keep that cheese on the cracker we don't want any ending up on the floor now ;lol
  • All time low, I would say.
  • We haven’t heard from Twist this evening. I’m sure he has a view ;lol
  • He’s gone into hibernation
  • I think he is boiling his head ;lol
  • I thought it was a good window. 2 dead weights out - a top class midfielder, and up and coming forward in. Good window in general from the manager and board.
  • Hello everybody, my first post in spite of reading WHU606 for some time now.

I think that the board have been in a very tricky situation since the move to London Stadium (all of their doing). It was a logical, now or never business opportunity which they took, rightly or wrongly. With this move, they suggested to us all that we would be in a position for next level football (whatever that means).
    In doing so they have put their heads above the parapet to be shot at from all angles.

I think in the early days they did save us from financial abyss and for that I am thankful.
    We had one incredible last season at Upton Park with Slav and it sort of hit the skids after that to where we find ourselves today.

I was dubious at best when we brought in Moyes but I have been pleasantly surprised at his resolve and organising this muddle we all love and support into something better organised than what he inherited. He doesn't take too much nonsense from the egos in the squad which I'm pleased to see.

I'd like to see him get a contract and see what he can do with the club going forward.

The signings we have made (or not in many cases) over the last couple of years has been very questionable.
    The last few year's signings have been one of the biggest flops I've known. Just appalling how we tried to pad out a squad for Europe and fell at the first hurdle to the Dog & Duck. I was very upset about that as I thought that was a decent opportunity to kick on for this 'next level'.

This needs to improve no end come the summer as I don't think the winter window just gone has filled many with great cheer but I am always happy to be proved wrong.

This news about the chap making an inappropriate statement about players from Africa (if what is said is correct) is appalling and has no place in society, let alone football. Should be removed now for this (if not for his transfers!).

We may have been taken as far as the owners can take us now and it's time for a change at the helm to inject this 'next level' into the club.
    Lets face it, the owners won't loose out on selling up!
    It's all to gain for everyone I think.

However, I think with Moyes, going forward into the remainder of the season and onwards, I am optimistic that we can steer clear of the dreaded drop but it won't be plain sailing as we are West Ham and that's what we do.

A bit wordy (sorry about that) but we need to get behind the boys from here on in, give it our all on matchday and make a right noise!

From a 4th generation Hammer. COYI!

• What for? It's some kind of protest, no?