The new manager hunt (was the Moyes thread) only 3 days to wait...

Comments

• It's not about extra sessions it's about intensity. Doing the same exercises but a bit quicker isn't necessarily what was wanted.
  • As a professional footballer and let’s be honest they arnt just starting there careers should they really be saying they haven’t been trained hard enough, self discipline for a start and if they needed to then say they wearnt in my eyes is pure laziness and arnt fit to wear the shirt
  • Players can only do the training routines given them by the coaches, even fitness and weight training is supervised. They not allowed to just go into the gym on their own without someone making sure they don't overdo it and strain something
  • Another indication that Bilic's training regime was probably not the best, this time from Obiang:

“We are training more than before, not in terms of time, but in terms of the quality of the things they are doing. The manager has changed the intensity of many things, we have done more things tactically, and he’s bringing everything new for us, which is good because he is giving us his philosophy."
  • So....the training sessions aren’t necessarily longer, however there could be certain parts of certain drills that Moyes wants done at a fast, quicker more intense pace. Perhaps he doesn’t focus us much on shooting etc who knows? Perhaps he spends more time showing them how/where he wants them to be or react in a certain situation and also how they line up? It could just be that it’s different to what SB focused?

I’m sure we will see slight upturn in what looks like fitness and probably performance, let’s hope so, we need some results
  • Slav record 11 for 23 against 9 points
    After 11 games
    Moyes record “ we wait like coiled springs
    coyi
  • Well he had two weeks and things look no different to me, same players, similar formation, same problems, same result. There should have been some sort of improvement in that time, so was the problem the manager or is it something else?

Could it be that the trio at the top, despite their 'experience' are not capable of running or competent to run a club in the top tier?

Do either DG or DS (the later being the majority shareholder) have too much say in how the team is run?

What did they achieve with Birmingham? Is their definition of a club being 'successful' different to ours (i.e. base on financial success rather than on the field)?

KB seem more intent on running her other 'Business and TV interest' than the club, is she the right person for the job?

What about her 'Management Team' what is their focus or has she just appointed people to carry out her instructions rather than given them authority to make decisions?

Does she actually get involved with the footballing side or is she just their for the sales, marketing and commercial activities - in which case should she be the CEO?
  • AdMeus

He had two days with the full squad, and had at least 4 players unavailable who would qualify as starters.
  • Pesky facts ;lol
  • So? What did he do for the rest of the time? sit on his hands? twiddle his thumbs?

Or did he review the set up? Change the training? Review the past several performance to see if he could identify what was good/bad and make plans based on that? Did he do training and tactics with the members of the squad that were available or wait until they were al back - (if none of those things then he was very remiss) whatever it was made little or no difference.

Are you telling me Grey that at any time where we have 3 or 4 players that would be considered 'Starters' we should expect that type of performance? Or that our reserve/development team players are so poor they cannot be relied upon or cannot step up occasionally when they do get a game?

Management is more than just picking the players and sending out on to the Pitch. Do you not think it would have been better to put out a more defensive minded team and gone for a 0-0 bore draw - not good for the fans I know but it would have given the defence a confidence boost to not concede. We need to start somewhere and many on here have pointed to not conceding as that starting point, then building from there.

Normally I am all for attacking football and scoring goals, but we don't have the team to do that at present, we are in survival mode now so we should be looking for drawing away games and winning home games by small margins, if that means boring defensive football with 0-0 away draws and 1-0 home wins whilst we get a grip of the problems and progress from there, then so be it.

Before you ask, no I would not welcome SA back, he could do the job of keeping us up but IMO he does not have the vision to take us forwards, he is a risk avoider (bit like our owners) and you need to take some risks to progress.
  • AdMeus

I'm telling you he had 2 days with the squad that was fit, which was missing 4 senior players, rather than the 2 weeks you suggested.

By implication: I think we need to give him more time to see if he can change our fortunes around.
  • My mate said when he saw Moyes yesterday was all the gear, no idea lol let’s pray he’s wrong
  • Can I be the first to include the expressions "under pressure West Ham manager Moyes" and "ashen-faced Hammers boss David Moyes" in a comment".
  • Admeus - It seems that Moyes has correctly identified the problems we face and I believe he knows what he needs to address. I'm basing this off what I have read and the interviews of him so far.

However just identifying the problems is the very first step. It is not a quick fix. For example our fitness issues cannot be solved with a few hard training sessions. Unfortunately it takes time which isn't really on our hands but that isn't Moyes' fault - that is just the nature of our problems.

You wrote "same players, same tactics, same problems, same result". To me I think that he picked (almost) the best team we had. There was an improvement but we are not going to magically play well for 90 minutes and win just because there's a new manager here. It's not that simple. It wasn't the same players - Sakho came on, Arnie started, Masuaku came on too, Martinez and Quina were on the bench - I'm sure if Bilic was manager for that game those things wouldn't have happened. The "problems" were still there (e.g. Getting overworked in midfield) but we covered more ground than we had previously. As I said it's not a quick fix and we looked a bit better. Still a long way to go which is worrying but we did improve a bit. The result obviously wasn't great but it wasn't a 4-0 thrashing.

I'm certainly not happy with where we are but I'm realistic to notice we aren't going to be winning and performing every match for 90 mins straight away.

In terms of going for a 0-0 draw. With our team that is just not going to happen. Even if we put out a super defensive line up. In all honesty I think we actually did put out a defensive team and this probably didn't help. Playing 3 central midfielders in Noble Kouyate and Obiang means they'll sit quite deep. As a result we are going to be in our own half for most of the match. And then on top of that - those 3 "defensive" players offered little defensive help in midfield. So all that did meant we were on the edge of the box "defending" yet not actually doing much defending! I think attack is the best form of defence as long as we don't go gung ho. When Masuaku came on, he was willing to drive forward with the ball and get to the opposition's byline. This put us in an attacking position and changed the momentum of the game up to a point. We became territorally a bit stronger. Obviously we don't want all our players bombing forward like this and forgetting their defensive work, but with the right shape and tactics this is more effective imo than sitting back and trying to go for a 0-0 draw which is just not going to happen with our weak defence and midfield. If we had a solid spine to our team then yes this could work but that's not the case.
  • We were defensive to be fair, a lot of punts up to Carroll but there were still massive gaps for Watford to exploit.

We're playing like a lower league team in the Premier League.
  • Oh yes of course the boards fault Kayoute couldn't hit a barn door with an SUV yesterday!

• Nothing to do with Gomez having a great game then Suz? How many goals has Kayoute score whilst he has been with us?

Is he a striker? - No so you would not expect him to score at every chance.

My point was that we were warned aplenty when the took over by Birmingham fans "they will promise the world and deliver an Atlas thinking they have fulfilled the contract" or comments along those lines. They keep on telling us they are going to sort things out every year yet we are now in a position (league wise and with the team) where we were when they took over. Fine, they have sorted out the finances, but that took longer than it should have due to the deal they made with the previous owners, not that they have not done well out of it themselves, don't think may loans got a 7% interest rate (compounded if the interest was not paid) over the last five years.

We have had all sorts of problems with the move to the new stadium and there continue to be so, what with all the ongoing issues with deal and the stadium owners/managers and the blame being directed for out performances. The actual move was supposed to be easy - look how that turned out.

I don't like the owners or KB and never have, they have promised a lot and IMO have delivered on less than half of it.

I know what you said Grey - Why was that? How many of our players were on International Duty during the break? What were the rest doing - training most days or were they at home/on holiday with their feet up? What was our new manager doing on all the other days? What were his assistants doing? He must have some basic plan in place and been monitoring it if not actively engaging with the players that were not away. Is that going to be a pattern going forwards then, on two days he will be with the squad and the other 10 he's doing other things?

So you are accepting that if we have 3 or 4 senior players missing we will lose games at least 2-0 then?

Sorry, I am a bit angry as I don't think we have time to let DM 'Settle in and sort things out', he should have hit the ground running and been spending time with what players he had in the break. As someone else posted (possible on another thread), if things don't improve rapidly, looking at our games up to Christmas, come January it may be to late to do anything to stop us going down (barring a miracle).
  • edited November 2017
    AdMeus

Not sure why you feel putting words in my mouth is the way to go.
    he should have hit the ground running and been spending time with what players he had in the break.
    Well, if you don't know that's what he did, then you haven't been paying any kind of attention.

You seem to feel that he should have had more of an impact in the time he had, with the players he had.

I don't agree.

It would have been great, but it's no great surprise to me that it isn't all suddenly better. These are the same players who have been failing for months now. I don't think Guardiola/Benitez/anyone you name could have come in and changed them much in the time Moyes has had.

We've played 12 games. There are 26 games to go. We need to find 9 wins in those games. I'd love to see us get them early, but to suggest that time is running out doesn't make sense to me.
  • Nothing to do with Gomez having a great game then Suz? How many goals has Kayoute score whilst he has been with us?
    He did, but thats nothing to do with the West Ham board either.
  • 2 wins in 12 and we want 9 in 26.

shows you the task at hand. I wonder if Leicester will be branded as the "Save our Season" game in the programme notes ;lol
  • edited November 2017

How many of our players were on International Duty during the break? What were the rest doing - training most days or were they at home/on holiday with their feet up? What was our new manager doing on all the other days? What were his assistants doing? He must have some basic plan in place and been monitoring it if not actively engaging with the players that were not away. Is that going to be a pattern going forwards then, on two days he will be with the squad and the other 10 he's doing other things?

You are asking question after question (23 in your last 3 posts) to which some answers can be found by research.

However, I will endeavour to answer for you.
    1. 10 senior players were away on Int. duty.
    2. Of the rest, 3 are injured.
    3. The remaining fit players trained every day of the 1st week (inc. some double sessions). They rested at the weekend. Then were back on the training ground on Monday 13th
    4. From pictures and video clips, it appears that Moyes was at all the training sessions. His assistants were confirmed on Monday and seem to have been present on that day.

You're welcome ;ok
  • Well, a number of posters on here have said it's a must win.
  • 2 wins in 12 and we want 9 in 26.

shows you the task at hand. I wonder if Leicester will be branded as the "Save our Season" game in the programme notes ;lol

Yes it is a must win game. Sadly the daves were too slow in sacking Slav. Should have done it in the summer or at least after the Newcastle game. Leicester with their pace on the counter will be licking their lips.
  • Say we are top of the league, say we are top of the league
  • Apparently Slavs informed wba he doesn’t want to be considered for managers job there he’s taking a break according to sky sports
  • He very clearly needed a rest before he left
  • So we approached Big Sam.......

I may of agreed to change my name if that had happened ;wink
  • Did we?

Sez who?
  • So we approached Big Sam.......

I may of agreed to change my name if that had happened ;wink

Well, Slizzy that statement is absolutely 100% true,
    He was our manager ....................... so what's the name changing to ;hmm
This discussion has been closed.