Summer 2017 Transfer: The final countdown and the fallout

Comments

• What youth ? and coming into a side with no confidence and form of any kind would ruin any kid.

The club has done very well selling season tickets . There is nothing much to excite the fans though really.
    We will really struggle to score goals this season as we create so little without lanzini and he now seems to get injured and be out for a while and if Hernandez gets injured then we have three strikers who can't play and no others .
    What is the least amount of points a side has got in a season. We are in an horrific position , how on earth have those in charge let this happen.
    Surely they had some sort of plan to bring in more players??
  • What youth ? and coming into a side with no confidence and form of any kind would ruin any kid.

The club has done very well selling season tickets . There is nothing much to excite the fans though really.
    We will really struggle to score goals this season as we create so little without lanzini and he now seems to get injured and be out for a while and if Hernandez gets injured then we have three strikers who can't play and no others .
    What is the least amount of points a side has got in a season. We are in an horrific position , how on earth have those in charge let this happen.

Derby County, 2008, 11 points and relegated in March

Derby County, 2008, 11 points and relegated in March
    West Ham: "Hold my beer"
  • Over reaction????

I don't think it is possible to over react. What on earth was going on at the club in the last few days? I genuinely thought the club must have some players lined up to have got rid of so many and with Carroll and Sakho hardly ever playing .
    A couple more long term injuries up front and midfield and we are so short of players it's laughable.
  • What the hell was Barkley up to?

No,No, Yes, Yes, Yes and NO
  • Barkley was probably told by his agent .

If you are a free agent at the end of the season I am going to be a rich man!!
  • Over reaction????

I don't think it is possible to over react. What on earth was going on at the club in the last few days? I genuinely thought the club must have some players lined up to have got rid of so many and with Carroll and Sakho hardly ever playing .
    A couple more long term injuries up front and midfield and we are so short of players it's laughable.

Have to agree. I mean, I get Snodgrass being allowed to go; he was utter toilet. Buy why let Feghouli go for such a (relatively) small fee? I can only assume it was to subsidise the extra wages we're paying Hernandez and Arnautovic. Which suggests to me there's not a lot of money in the pot ;hmm
  • Barkley was probably told by his agent .

If you are a free agent at the end of the season I am going to be a rich man!!

And so will be Barkley, with a nice signing on fee.

My manager is a toffee and he's not convinced of Barkley's talent!
  • Chat is we had Gomes in the bag until Barca added a clause last minute.
  • Well that was underwhelming! I'd give the window 6/10.

Chicharito was a good buy, the other three ok. Needed more though.
  • Chicharito fantastic buy. Hart will be too.

But not overly impressed with zabaleta - and I fear arny might be another Ayew in that we have realised a big profit in a short time for a team in and around us which will not prove to be value for money.

This team though will continue to ship goals unfortunately
  • And as for sporting Lisbon, they had every right to change the price and goal post as much as they wanted - after all the player is contracted to them. The choice was the daves whether to pay the price. This was an instance where a top player actually wanted to join us (which is hard for us to achieve), and we decided not to take the plunge. Shame. Seems to me that daves are on the one hand backing the manager by not sacking him, but then falling short in terms of player acquisitions in certain positions. Shades of sam's final season
  • edited September 2017
    No intention of spending that sort of money. Just making it look like we would. Like Lacazette all over again.
  • Just make sure you all go buy the £55 third kit that they might wear for 1 match.
  • Ham

Not like lacazette - that's what was frustrating. Last year Lyon did not want to sell and lacazette seemingly did not want to come.

But as things stand our record transfer sits at £24m which has twice been eclipsed by Palace
  • It was like Lacazette in the fact they went in just under the transfer value. Obviously don't know that for sure but I tend to believe ex on Twitter more than most.
  • Tbf ham, I think we could have offered £50m last year to Lyon and one way or another the player would not have come. In the case of carvalho if reports are to be believed we were about £5m short with no other roadblock to getting the player
  • Maybe. Just all seems to familiar every window. Think the fans are being mugged off. Still not seeing what benefit the OS move has done to us.
  • I personally think this is down to the fact that they may eventually decide not to stick with slav and if so they don't want to pay the extra amount for someone who is his choice.
  • edited September 2017
    And if that is the reasoning, that is shameful.

Back him or sack him. Taking the middle ground is embarrassing.
  • Baracks, Lukerz ;ok

I did think that myself. Maybe holding the money back for January so Benitez can bring his own players in.
  • So the window has closed, now time for the review

Think the window is going to be seen as bad/underwhelming because of the form of the team not the actual moves that have made

My takeaways:
    • We have bought quality and the 4 main buys can go straight into the first XI.

• Hernandez could be one of the best buys the club has ever made

• Players in > those out : Chicarito> Calleri, Arnie > Feghouli, Zabaleta > Arbeloa, Hart > Randolph

• We have let go of a lot of deadwood and freed up a lot of wages with Feghouli, Snodgrass, Valencia, Randolph, Nordtveit, Calleri, Fletcher, Tore and Arbeloa

• We shouldve pushed more aggressively for a real DM and not put all of our eggs in the Carvalho basket

• We look short in the wing positions, really short

• Didn't buy anyone who can cover for Lanzini who is our most important attacking player

• After clearing out so much the club just didn't invest enough, only spending net £10mil after last year is a joke

All things considered we could've use dwith pushing carvalho over the line but nice feel that the PsG lad WBA bought would've been a great buy and perfect for us

Will give the window a B-
  • If they did get rid of Slav in the next couple of weeks what sort of squad has the new man got to work with?
    Injured strikers etc with no replacements.

Anyway we have what we have and we have to support them no matter what we feel about what has happened.

It makes discussions between fans more interesting as everyone has a view and they are all valid as that is what they believe.
  • edited September 2017
    I give it a C.

Yes, we brought in a striker, a right back and a left winger, which were three necessities, but what frustrates me is that that was the minimum requirement.

IMO, we haven't pushed on. We don't have the necessary competition to make every player give everything in every game. Carroll and Sakho are never fit enough for long enough to be a genuine alternative to Hernandez. Arnautovic and Antonio don't have anyone challenging their positions.

We've also not reacted to our start to the season. It's evident, to me at least, that we need a DM. If Bilic is playing an 18 year old centre back in midfield it suggests to me that we lack a senior pro that could do that job.

The manager identified an international DM with a big reputation who seemingly wanted to come to us. He had a value, which given his pedigree, his age and the current market (Drinkwater went for only £5m less) was, IMO, fair, but the board wouldn't go that extra few yards to seal the deal. The talk was that Sporting were difficult to negotiate with; well four PL clubs bought players from them this window so I find that hard to believe.

I just feel very flat about it. A very positive start but we have simply not done enough, particularly when you look at what other teams have done. I know a lot of people don't buy into the ITK community on Twitter, but Ex has been accurate enough in recent years for me to believe that he has some genuine contacts in and around the club. He has said this morning that we have spent much less than our budget allowed, which really does make me wonder why we didn't make the Carvalho deal happen.
  • edited September 2017
    The frustration for me isn't that we wouldn't spend £40m on Carvalho. It's that we were willing to spend £35m on him, but ended up spending £0 and still need a defensive midfielder.

If we were willing to spend £35m on a defensive midfielder why didn't we have another option as backup? If it was clear to everyone involved that Carvalho was vital because of the position he plays, then surely we could have been looking at alternatives that fell into our price range.
  • http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11662/11015137/premier-league-transfers-how-much-did-your-club-spend

Only 6 clubs seem to have a net spend less than us. I really thought that by now we would be in a position to start spending bigger, or at least as much as the likes of Watford.
  • edited September 2017
    Ex ;ok

And to rub salt into the wounds, the club have this morning launched the 3rd kit, trying to get another £55 from the punters for a kit the players will probably only ever wear once.
  • alderz said:

The frustration for me isn't that we wouldn't spend £40m on Carvalho. It's that we were willing to spend £35m on him, but ended up spending £0 and still need a defensive midfielder.

If we were willing to spend £35m on a defensive midfielder why didn't we have another option as backup? If we it was clear to everyone involved that Carvalho was vital because of the position he plays, then surely we could have been looking at alternatives that fell into our price range.

We were never gonna buy him imo